“Bel and Dragon”
Review of Bel and The Dragon

Bel and The Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Bel and The Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 620 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading, United Kingdom
“Bel and Dragon”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I visited the Bel and Dragon for the first time, having heard of its great reputation - what a disappointment!!! I ordered the roast lamb - it wasnt clear from the menu it was actually a stew. I dont expect to pay £19 for a stew. I also ordered a side of roast potatoes, which were chewy. My partner ordered the suckling pig - very fatty. The waitress tried to brush this off by saying she had mistaken the delicate flesh for fat - I dont think insulting your customers taste is a great way to do business. The crackling was chewy, and the dish was served on a flat wooden board, so difficult to eat with gravy. The dish came with no vegetables. The (white) wine was served in tumblers - totally inappropriate.

The service was a little too attentive for my tastes, and the waitress kept leaning over me while serving, so I had to lean out of the way. She was friendly enough, but it was too much. In addition to this, I was quite cold in there.

Overall - we paid £120 for the meal with no coffee or dessert, which I thought was too much for what we got.

1 Thank RoastieGal

London, United Kingdom
“Over priced beyond belief”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

London prices without the right, and out of the way! Wine by the glass is extortinet even for a lunch time. I dont imagine they will ever get a full restaurant at these prices in READING!!!!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Clive E
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Six of us ate here for a birthday celebration, and every dish we had was outstanding. The service was average, but not bad. We had a wonderful evening.

Reading, United Kingdom
“really nice gastro pub”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

really nice food and love the new deco. Friendly and attentive staff, good for families with lovely kid menu although a bit pricy for a 3 year old. Great place for lunch after shopping at forburry park

Visited November 2012
Henley-on-Thames,UK
“Great impromptu visit”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I popped into this restaurant on the off chance with my Husband,& we had a really great meal. It has been refurbished & looks amazing,although it was a little chilly (It has a very high ceiling,so must be hard to heat!)
the setting is fantastic, being near to the centre of reading,but feeling really peaceful as it is so tucked away.
I has pink peppercorn squid with chilli jam to start,which was delicious. then I had the fish & chips,which I always seem to order when I go here. Again,it was great,with possibly the best chips I have ever had.
Finished off with a divine Eton mess.
Can't wait to go again.