“Dissapointed.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bel and The Dragon

Bel and The Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Bel and The Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 610 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Dissapointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Me and my partner went here on a Friday night after hearing a number of good opinions from friends and family. I had to book a table for 19:45 instead of 20:00 as a result of being told that the restaurant was busy; no problem at all if that were true.
Lovely surroundings and was impressed at how nice it looked on the outside and in. Now, this was our fist time here and the staff welcomed us with a smile and informed us that we could have a drink in the bar area first or sit straight away; deciding to go through to the restaurant as we was hungry and the food that was coming out smelt good we were greeted with beautiful decor, candle lit tables. Really Nice.

The waitress that we had (sorry can not remember the name - served table 22) was very professional and helpful without being intrusive. She came to take our drink order after five minutes of being sat and recommended a red wine for us to share. We ordered starters there and then too, which I have to say were absolutely gorgeous (Pink peppercorn squid and the Pint of prawns). We were very impressed with the presentation, the taste, everything and was so excited for the Mains. Well.... dissapointed is all I can say!!!

I opted for the fillet steak £25 (knowing I had chose probably the most expensive thing on the menu) and ordered a side of Veg and chips to go with it (each cost £3), no problem there. My partner ordered the Fish of the day (Sea Bass) £18, was not fussed with the price we was paying at all. That was until the food came out. Again, presented nicely and looked amazing, although this time when I had a mouthful of my food I did not feel as satisfied as I did when I took a mouthful of our starters; mainly for the pure fact the food was freezing cold. I thought it was just me so when my partner had a mouthful and nearly spat it out I knew it had to be sent back.

We called over a member of staff (not our waitress) that was walking past to inform them to which she replied "oh ok, sorry" before taking my plate and walking off. Ok, she said sorry but I was not asked whether I wanted a replacement or to choose a different meal nor was I informed of what was being done about it. I just sat there, whilst my partner waited for my food to come back before he ate his, looking like a Numpty. Now, assuming she was a manager or supervisor (uniform being different to that of the other waitress') I has expected a lot more professionalism in the customer service area. I was not happy at all and asked to speak to the 'actual manager'. Manager being very apologetic, friendly and agreeing with the fact we should have been kept informed, offered us a drink in the bar after our meal. Fine. Partners meal, came out hot and looked amazing and even tasted amazing; although a bit of a small portion for the price. Desert was gorgeous. We took our bill into the bar and ordered a Irish coffee and a Mangers and as you can guess they had tried to charge us for them.

I am not the type of person who will go to a restaurant and try to get discount from the bill nor am I the type of person who will go to a restaurant and pay ridiculous prices for something that comes out cold and inadequate. Along with the muck up with the meal and the memeber of staff with an attitude problem I can honestly say we will find it hard to return. Like I said, our waitress was lovely and you should give her alot of praise for coping well with a complaint and maybe re-train your "manager/supervisor" in customer service, friendliness and how to deal with a complaint; not make your customer feel almost un-welcome and like she has just asked you to run to the other side of the country for a new steak. If the steak had come out the way it should, you would not have to deal with complaints.

All in all, you have got yourself a non-returning customer.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jadeecoupar

Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Extremely overpriced and food doesn't match the cost”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place used to be on of my favourites. Good food if a little expensive and of course a great setting. But wow!! It is so overpriced now!! I don't mind paying for expensive food if it lives up to the billing. But unfortunately this does not. They try and dress it up and some of the food is nicely presented but the quality is simply not there. Real shame. Such a great setting should be an all round success - and this place isn't any more

Reading, United Kingdom
“Ok, but didn't blow we away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Nice location and great old building. We were a party of eight. Had a nice secluded table. Staff were okay but could have been friendlier. I had the fish and chips. It was okay but my main issue was with the saltiness of the chips. Loads of added salt which made them inedible.

United Kingdom
“Pricey for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We ate an evening meal at this restuarant to celebrate my partners birthday. Having seen the menu in advance I had settled on the suckling pig as I thought this sounded delectable. Unfortunately however I was disapointed.

The Bel and Dragon is in an excellent location within an easy walking distance of Reading town centre. It is situated next to the canal where it appears you can at least have drinks.

Upon entering the building I was impressed with how warm it was inside and was glad I was only wearing a t-shirt as had I been wearing a jumper or similar underneath my winter coat I would have been sweltering.

We were the first customers of the evening to arrive and were asked if we wanted drinks at the bar first before being seated at the table - there seemed to be a bit of confusion about the drinks order but this was quickly rectified. After being sat in the bar area for a few minutes we were led to our table by a waitress who was at first extremely polite but the civility seemed to wane as the meal progressed.

Once we were all seated (being a party of 10) we were given ample time by our dedicated waitress to make our food choices. The few starters which were ordered arrived quickly as did the main courses after that - it was at this point that I became rather disapointed.

The steaks and suckling pig were all served on wooden boards which meant the presentation was lovely, however the pig just tasted like a joint of pork I could have bought from Tescos - as if there had been no seasoning added at all. It wasn't too bad if you ate this with the apple sauce provided. The pig also came with 4 roast potatoes that were more crispy than the crackling! The steaks apparently were also lacking in seasoning. If you wanted any other vegetable options you had to pay extra which I found rather odd and strikes me as a way to make 'easy' money as the portion you get is not so large that you do not need other side dishes.

Pudding was interesting - I chose to go for the cheesecake which is more of a deconstructed cheesecake - it was nice but I am not sure if it was worth the rather hefty price.

There was also some issue over the bill payment which marred the experience - however the staff were all mostly friendly though obviously getting tired as the evening progressed and the restuarant got busier (which occured around 7pm and by 7.15pm you were struggling to hear the others on your table)

I would consider eating here again but the high prices would put me off for most occasions.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Unpredictable place.. over priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Had a great mid-week lunch there with my wife earlier this year. The food and service was excellent.
Went back with the family a couple of times at the weekend and I was disappointed by the food. It seemed very expensive; portions were small and quality was less than I would expect for the price.

It's in a good location so it's a pity that they aren't more consistent

Visited July 2012