“Disappointing Service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Gaylord Tandoori
Ranked #146 of 610 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I have been to Gaylord on many occasions, the customer service has always been excellent. At the end of the meal they give the ladies a shot of what tastes like baileys and the men get a shot of whiskey. With the bill you get given chocolates & just before you leave the ladies are handed a rose. If you are using a taste card the experience is completely different! My partner & I had popped in on the way home from work & as I requested the bill I handed over my taste card - I was informed that this could not be used as I hadn't booked! Now I understand this is my fault but in larger chains I have never had to book before & the card has always been accepted! After a lengthy discussion I was informed they would do it on this occasion. When I received the bill they had charged me £10.70 for a pint of beer & a bottle of water & then added a service charge which they had never done before! Did I complain - no as my partner just wanted to leave but I was disgusted as they obviously felt they needed to make the money back! We never received the chocolates nor did I get given a rose when others had! I pay for my taste card annually & what I am interested in is how it can be so different to when you dine without it. Due to this poor experience I'm not sure I would go back there.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Laura S

Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch - can't understand why others left bad reviews?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

7 of us just ate here on a Saturday lunchtime and the food and service were fine - we had starters, mains and drinks for less than £20/head and were completely full.........they even offered us complimentary drinks from the bar at the end of the meal......Of course looking at the "Sunday Buffet" deal it appears so much cheaper but there again we chose exactly what we wanted from the menu (and shared the dishes between us) and it was all freshly prepared and cooked. I can't see how any of the Indian Restaurants in Twyford can make any money on the Sunday Buffet deals they all fight each with to compete and so maybe it is better to spend a few more Shekels and eat on other days and enjoy the food more and go for "quality and not quantity"??????

• Visited March 2014
Earley, United Kingdom
“If it looks just right how can they get it so wrong”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

We ate in the Gaylord a couple of years ago nothing special but nothing to make us want to rush back. Having eaten there again the only direction I would rush now is well away.
First impressions are good and if marks were being given for presentation and quantity of food they would deserve 5 stars but it is a restaurant and even one star would be too many if based upon the quality of the food.

It took a while for our order to be taken and about an hour for it to arrive but that is not of concern as it gave us time for a chat over popodoms. When the starters came which included the special mixed starter it looked fantastic on square plates with salad and a dip and various types of meat. It was impossible to distinguish however the Chicken Tikka from the Lamb Tikka from the Seek Kebab as they had no taste whatsoever, even a hint of spice would have helped.

When the main dishes arrived there was a distinct smell of burning and one mouthful from my Memsaabs Favourite was enough to stop me in my tracks as all that I could taste was burnt meat. The waiter/manager tried his best to explain that that was how it should be and the smell was the alcohol that was in the curry. With alcohol being one of my favourites believe me I do know the difference. Another dish of Modhu Chicken turned out to be just Modhu as they had forgotten to put the chicken in it. The description of the dish led you to believe that the chicken had been marinated in spices and yogurt but this as for the other dishes was just chicken pieces dropped in a ready made sauce. For each dish as the chicken was put on the plate the sauce/curry that it was in did not even cling to the meat so it was obvious what they had done. The taste of burnt meat put me off eating anything else so that was my taste buds gone for the night.

At the end of the evening the waters gave us brandy and baileys, not to make us feel better for a poor meal as each table was given the same and the ladies also got a red rose.

I would give the Gaylord marks for effort as the waiters were polite and efficient once the food came out of the kitchen also for their efforts in trying to explain what was sitting in front of us when we started the meal and was still there when we had finished but they do need to sort out their kitchen staff as what was presented was in the main diabolical.

Paid the £75.00 bill left a £10.00 tip as it was not the waiters fault but will never return.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Amazed by Bad Reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I must come to the defence of Gaylord's. We have never been let down and have always found it to be excellent. Indeed, we rate other Indian Restaurants by the standards of Gaylord's. However, we normally have a take away but it is still cooked by the same people. We will be moving from the area in the early New Year and will miss Gaylord's no end.

• Visited August 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Give it a miss!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We thought we would try the Sunday buffet to compare it to a close rival in Twyford, what a mistake! The starters had obviously been sitting for a while,the onion bagees were like rocks,
a very small selection of main dishes, which were of an ok quality and the service very poor.
Having asked for a second round of drinks from waiters who were not very busy, we got fed up waiting and left. Even when paying the bill it seemed to be a problem for a not very interested member of staff. We won't be back, definitely not worth it.

• Visited October 2013