“Amazing service”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Barcelona, Spain
“Amazing service”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

The owners of this hotel especially Jules make sure they treat their guests as if they are home. The hotel is located on the Main Street of Caversham and is two minutes away from Caversham bridge. It is a 10 minute walk from Reading train station where you can easily take the train to London. The hotel is a 15 minute walk to Reading town center and the Oracle mall. The room I had was good. It was clean though I have to say that the bed was not comfortable as it was a bit hard. I had a room on the first floor and it was very quiet.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Thornbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Travelling a lot with business around the country, I have had many experiences of many hotels and many hotel chains. The Thameside Hotel has all the luxury you would come to expect from a larger hotel chain but the friendliness of a small, friendly, family run hotel. Definitely welcomed as an individual rather than just another number through the door! Car parking is convenient and is great that they don't charge for this ... all too often hotels are jumping on this extra revenue option, but not here.
Loved the touch of fresh flowers on reception that were real.
Very welcoming, very friendly and very relaxing.
Would welcome this to everyone looking for a hotel conveniently situated in Reading.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night as a birthday get away.

The free parking is a real plus but the tight entrance makes it a scary ride.

The outside does not do the place justice as inside it is very nice.

We found the welcome to be really warm and friendly; you actually felt like a person and not a transaction.

Our room was quite quiet despite being on the main road due to the triple glazing and our bed was really comfortable.

The location was great to walk out in the evening for a bite to eat in town - no car required!

Arriving late to breakfast was not a problem. The staff went to a special effort to make sure we had everything we needed. It was all lovely.

To give this property 5 stars I would only need tiny tweaks:
1) the blind in our room has seen better days and really could have done with replacing
2) I am a bit of a bathroom snob and hate shower curtains in a hotel, a glass screen is so much nicer (sorry personal taste!). The bathroom itself was immaculately clean and was finished to a very high standard
3) sorry more snobbery. I am a Nescafe girl when it comes to tea and coffee making facilities (again personal taste)

All in all a great family run establishment.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I have worked in Reading for a year, and stayed in this Hotel for a few days each week. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is excellent. The position of the hotel is great, regardless of whether you are looking for a place to stay for business or pleasure as its only 10 minutes walk from Reading train station and a further 5 minutes to the Oracle shopping centre.

The local area is lovel on the back of the river Thames, and has some lovely restaurants and bars within 5 minutes walk if you did want to go outside of the hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel unlike some in the area, also have air conditioning units for the summer.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I am on a business trip and I will not be returning or recommending this hotel to anyone.

Was greeted at the counter and swiftly got told someone else will deal with us upon checking in. Was handed a document to sign that was covered in coffee stains and absolutely disgusting. Was given no information of when breakfast was or even how to get to the room.

Got to the room and it was dirty. The spot light in the ceiling was hanging down dangerously. The shower was not great, very small and not clean. There wasn't even a toilet roll holder.

I will certainly not be coming back and I would advise everyone else to stay at the Crowne Plaza at the end of the road

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
thamesreading, Manager at Thameside Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences of your visit. Your comments about our Hotel is much appreciated. Our commitment at the Thameside Hotel is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us.

You did have a very late checkin, in the case all room information is not expressed by our night staff everything is available inside the keycard wallet provided, and in our room information books. This includes Breakfast times and other key services.

Our aim is to make the check-in as smooth as possible regardless of time of arrival.

The reviewer below is from the same booking agency and has stayed with us week on week so there seems to be a complete polarisation in experiences which we find quite dramatic. As we operate 24 hours we have staff ready to assist with any queries and nothing was expressed during your stay.

We do not claim to be the Crowne Plaza this is reflected in our competitive pricing which includes complimentary Breakfast , wifi & parking. We have operated a successful business for over 38 years working with all the major telecoms , goverment rail and technology companies in and outside of Reading. Some have used us regularly stay for over 18 years.

Kind regards,

Julie
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stay here on a weekly basis and can personally say you will not be disappointed. From the outside it looks like a average B & B, but believe me, once your inside you become overwhelmed with executive rooms and a fine dining restaurant. The personal service from the owners and staff add to comfortable yet exquisite environment around you. The rooms are very spacious with a large bathroom all fitted to very high standard. The bed does not want to let you get up in the morning coz it is so comfortable. I would totally recommend to anyone to try this hotel, like I said you will not be disappointed..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Justin S
thamesreading, Manager at Thameside Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Justin S, Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on tripadvisor.I am delighted to

hear that you enjoyed the special touches and most of all our food and services.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind Regards

Julie
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The room was clean,comfortable, with good facilities as well as being one of the best nights sleep I've had in a hotel bed! I stayed on the first floor in what appeared to be a newly renovated room of contemporary design. The staff in this charming family run hotel is most excellent, so personable, attentive, polite with a wonderful welcoming warmth. Nothing seems too much trouble and even when I requested home made porridge for breakfast made with water and cranberries...., unfazed by my request....that's what I received, and quickly too! The wifi connection is a bonus if, like me, you needed to complete work in the room. The parking at the rear is another plus. If you are bored of staying in a big chain hotel and want a clean, comfortable room with a splendid atmosphere and fabulous staff that provide a personal touch, I highly recommend the Thameside Hotel, Reading. I will certainly return.

Room Tip: First floor at the rear of hotel, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel