Thameside Hotel
$94
$89
  • Restaurant
Novotel Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
$100
$93
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
$57
Hilton Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
$118
$99
  • Pool
Beech House Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
$83
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
$89
CrownePlaza.com
$93
$42
$120
$115
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsair conreading festivalsmall hoteltrouser pressbed was very comfortablereading stationplenty of hot waterexcellent staythames
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I'm not a fan of fancy corporate hotels, and the Thameside isn't one. It's clean, comfortable, well located and most important family run. Julie and her husband Brian own and run the place and are justifiably proud of their hotel. It's almost like staying at your mothers place. The food's great, coffee is the best I've had in England, rooms are clean and comfortable, there's just nothing to complain about.
Julie goes out of her way to make you feel welcome, and the rest of the staff follow her lead. I'd go back in a minute, if only to see Julie!

Room Tip: We asked for a suite, and the one we got was great. Good bed, big bathroom, flat screen tv and a nice little kitchen.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
thamesreading, Owner at Thameside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the thameside Hotel.We are delighted that you have enjoyed our food,coffee and most of all our services.

It was our pleasure to have you as guests and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Julie

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here on business for 1 night. Free parking at rear of hotel - had to ask hotel how to get to car park though.
Really friendly owner who seemed to be doing everything, check-in, serving coffee, answering phone. Next morning serving breakfast handling check-in and check out - nothing was too much trouble.
Very warm room with a comfortable bed.
Free WI-FI which worked !
Very handy for shops & restaurants in town.

Good freshly cooked breakfast - nice coffee.
Would recommend if visiting Reading and want centrally located family run hotel.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I only stayed here for one night, but I was completely satisfied with everything.

There is a well lit and convenient car park at the rear of the hotel which is great as it is difficult to park in the local streets, it is free as well - always a positive.

There was a very friendly greeting at reception and it was like there was nothing that was a bother. They have an area to eat, and a bar with a selection of drinks to choose from. It has a very welcoming feel overall.

I was shown to my room on the first floor, and it was ideal for the purpose, an ironing board, hair dryer, flat-screen TV, and plenty of power sockets, which is a big problem I have in hotel rooms these days!

My bed was comfy and the room clean and warm. Just what you need.

I was shown the evening menu, and I ordered a meal that was delivered to my room. It was absolutely delicious and I later found out that it was cooked by the owner - my compliments go to her completely!

The Thameside Hotel is a great place to stay and very well priced - I highly recommend it!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

You can't miss the red-fronted cafe-enticing frontend of this hotel along the busy Caversham road, literally 10-15 mins walk from the station (vastern road exit),(once you navigate the entrance), and 5 min taxi ride to the centre. form Vastern road, dual carriageway, make you way to the left (east) cross over, take caversham road..and....2 mins later. Be Aware..pavements are thin along this dual carriageway
The end of the side road leads to the Thames (3-min walk). Don;t be fooled by name, it won;t offer views of the river

The Radiator should have been set under the window let alone at the ceiling, and this really could make a difference despite the thoughtful touch of large air gap double glazing, thus a warm clothing is advised on at least some rooms seasonal-depending

Nevertheless, complimentary tea/coffee upon stay is typcial of the family-run hotel of the rooms, with wooden flooring at times, large draped windows, with additional warm-coloured curtains.and bedlinen, with period-copy wardrobes. Bathrooms had nice touches seemed to have 4-star decor, budgeted with top-end B&q fixings, not that this is a necessarily a criticism, as wear & tear must be accounted for
Overall this feels like a over-priced (£79GBP standard tarif) yet very warm & friendly B&B

Room Tip: Rooms 14-24 include steps & /or stairs,
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T_Hotel_Inspectors
thamesreading, General Manager at Thameside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.I was obviously disappointed to read your comments on the River views, radiator and over priced room tariff.I am sorry on this occasion
we have not met your expectations.

However,I would like to clarify the raditor on the celing is an air conditioning unit.There is a further radiator on the wall in the bedroom which is a source of central heating.The Hotel had beautiful river views until there are private flats built at the rear. Our aim is to give the best value and service to all our guest you choose to stay at the Thameside Hotel.

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts

Very best wishes
Shanti

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed for one night for business purposes. A very friendly and accomodating welcome from all staff. The room itself was well appointed and very clean, if not a little on the chilly side - though I did not use the provided wall mounted heater, so I suppose that's my own fault :-)
I'll be staying here again, primarily due to the attitude from the staff - who created a very positive impression all around.