“Great hotel, slightly let down by service”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I've stayed in Malmaison Manchester and I was blown away by the quality of the accommodation, service and food/drink. So I was keen to repeat the experience and booked a special offer (dinner, bed and breakfast) at the Reading hotel. It's a lovely hotel, very new and wonderfully decorated. We had a standard double room, but it was extremely spacious and the bathroom was fabulous. There isn't a great view - but hey, this is Reading - we weren't expecting miracles. It's conveniently located in the town centre, very close to lots of shops and restaurants. We went down for dinner early to enjoy a drink in the bar, but the bar was very full. It seems this is the place to be if you want to drink in Reading and there is no priority if you're a resident. If you want to use the bar, you can reserve a table as you would in the restaurant (we weren't informed of this). Luckily we found a table in the lounge for our cocktails, then went through to the brasserie. It's a nice, small brasserie. We had to order form the homegrown/local menu as it was included in our package, and I have to say I was extremely disappointed with the food. My risotto was completely tasteless, as if it had been cooked using water instead of stock. My partner's chicken was small and unappetising. It was a shame, and the service was very slow. We couldn't get anyone's attention to sign for our food at the end so we just left...chased 5 minutes afterwards by a waitress with the check to sign. We ordered more drinks in the bar after dinner, but they never came - even after chasing them up twice.

After experiencing such great service in other Malmaison properties, it was a bit of a disappointment, but I won't let the experience put me off visiting another - and just put it down to bad luck on this occasion. The hotel itself was lovely.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed March 3, 2009

My new husband and I stayed here on our wedding night. We had a small registry office wedding in reading as couldnt legaly get married abroad before we went to france for the big day. 10 of us ate in the private dinning room which was amazing the food was great we all had steak yummy. I couldnt decide on which dessert I wanted so the chef gave me both on a huge plate with congratulations written in chocolate. We went to our room which was the GWR suite. First impressions wow what a room we had a huge bathroom with double glass shower, 2 sinks and a huge bath. The living room area had a lovely huge black corner sofa with a flat screen TV then went to a raised area where the bed was with another flat screen tv. We had to love seet love package where on arrival we had some chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle verve on ice waiting for us. Breakfast was great served in a huge wicker basket. The only downfall was the room was on the top floor which isnt a problem as there are lifts and as soon as you come out of the lift it was extremely hot. The aircon in the room didnt seem to work very well even though it was on the lowest setting, there was a balcony which looked over the pub next doors garden that had liove music on and you can imagine the noise on a saturday night so we couldnt leave the door open if we wanted to get any sleep apart from that a great stay and perfect wedding night

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Excellent location for shops, amenities, station etc. Spotlessly clean and well maintained hotel. However decor not to my taste. Reminded me of 1980's style disco's. The dim lighting together with the navy blue and brown decorations and furnishings were claustrophobic and depressing and made me feel quite ill. Hence spent as little time in the hotel as possible. Sleep was difficult because the room very warm and airless. The thick duvet didn't help. Ended up sleeping with balcony door open . My husband loved the shower but it was hopeless for quick freshening up without getting your hair wet before going out in the evening. Sorry but I won't be back in a hurry.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2008

Stayed for two nights on the weekend in November. I have to say I was blown away with the quality of everything that the hotel offers. It has a really cool bar and fantastic restaurant, we had two breakfasts during our stay which were flawless.
I was also very impressed with the Cocktails we got from the bar, the bloody mary was even made with Fresh tomatoes and tasted so much better than the bog standard.

The staff are really friendly and professional, and so not stuffy which is fantastic for a relaxing weekend. If you need to be in reading for any reason then this is 100% the place to stay. This was my second time here and both stays have been fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Malmaison was a lovely hotel. Reading isn't the nicest place to visit, but this hotel made up for it.

Front desk staff were of the highest quality, though check in took longer than I would have expected. Bar and restaurant staff were very welcoming and attentive. Recommended bars and restaurants around the town and were just so nice.

Bar was very quiet, but a lovely atmosphere.

The restaurant was superb, great food, great wine.

Hotel is atmospheric, very nice. Rooms aren't huge, but big enough. Bathroom was great, super shower etc.

Breakfast was expensive in my opinion, so I skipped it.

There's a newsagent directly across the street as is the railway station and taxi rank. Very handy. It's also a 5 minute walk to the main shopping area. I'd recommend "The Oracle".

Carluccio's Restaurant was great, as was Ninos. Both Italian. The Bel and Dragon was a lovely restaurant too. Front desk will give you all the directions. We tried lots of bars, but the hotel bar was nicest by far, just no people.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Booked 1 night for a weekend stay. No noise at all, in fact it was very quiet. The room was lovely, dark colours and cool. The bed the best in any hotel I can recall. For 89 pounds including a full breakfast for 2 people, it was amazing value compared to all the large chains we've stayed in. Dinner in the brasserie was excellent, the only slight gripe being the London sized mark ups on the wine, made up for by the very helpful and friendly Sommelier. Overall, I can't see what's not to like about this hotel. The staff are very obliging and attentive.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I had the pleasure of staying in the Mallard suite at Malmaison in Reading. Excellent room - best bath I have ever seen - my boyfriend is 6'5'' and he was able to stretch out full length for the first time in his life! Fun train set too. But what sets the hotel apart - the staff. Nothing is too much trouble but not too over attentive either. Lovely bar staff and breakfast team - and they even managed to track down a lighter for us to light all the candles in the already mentioned oh so glorious bathroom. Superb. Have paid far more for much less - very good value in my book.

Stayed: September 2008