“Great Hotel & Great Offers”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Malmaison in Reading, using the offer of paying £25 per room and then spending £75 in the restaurant - a brilliant deal. Reading do this on a Friday and Saturday night, as well as Sunday, many other Malmaison's just do a Sunday night.

The hotel is in a great location and is lovely inside. The rooms are in true Malmaison style, clean and presentatable. The hotel is lovely, dark and modern. The bar is nice, with comfortable seating as well as a good selection of drinks.

The restaurant is great, modern, with great food. I have eaten here 4 times now and the food has not failed once. Each time I have stayed I have steak - the cote du beouf is fantastic, the side orders are great, the desserts - everything! the steaks are on an equal par to Gaucho Argentian steak houses - which are fab too.

If you want sunday lunch, they do 'Toast to Roast' so you get to stay in your room a little longer and have a cheap deal for lunch - all for £30 (£15 each). The sunsday lunch is great, I had a prawn and languistine cocktail to start which was lovely, followed by Roast Beef - superb!

If you want value for money, great food, great service in a good location then Malmaison is perfect.

2  Thank nicky147
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Here on the Sunday Mal - probably our best deal of all the deals, its like going out for a meal and getting this great room for free! Thank you for detailing so well and for the positive feedback you have given us, we are the only Mal to offer this deal all weekend! I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Reading

Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend took me here for the night to celebrate my birthday. The room was brilliant, it was exactly what I wanted.
Comfortable bed, the best bathroom of hotels that I have visited.
The service from the front desk was top notch, I would definetly recommend it to other people.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thanks for the great feedback and a belated happy birthday! See you again soon, maybe for your girlfriends birthday... or dare i say an engagement!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've stayed a few times on work trips and have to say the rooms are really lovely. The hotel itself has a dark ambiance which doesn't really suit me but I can see that it would be attractive for some (perhaps who are not on work trips :)). The staff are very professional and helpful and the food in the restaurant is quite good, though sometimes I find the service a bit slow. I would recommend the hotel as a good place to stay in Reading as I've stayed in some of the other hotels in this location and this is one of the best.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great feedback, I will review the consistency of the speed of service in the restaurant which hopefully we can resolve to your full satisfaction, no one likes to be left hungry for too long!

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous room, we stayed in gwr suite and I was really impressed. Location good and room had everything you need, the only problem was the night club at the back of the hotel that our suite backed into. Very disappointing to have a great room but one that you can't sleep in - we asked reception if this was usually the case to which we were told it would only last until 12 - at 1am it was still carrying on. Next morning at check in we weren't asked how our stay was. Shame this hotel is very comfortable - don't pay for a suite that you can't sleep in!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank UkEm_
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed in The Rocket suite as a Christmas treat. The suite was amazing and the huge wooden bath really made the room special.

We ate a delicious meal in the restaurant then drinks by the fire. In the morning the breakfast was delicious.

All in all it was a relaxing luxurious break and the staff were delightful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marianna N

Thank you for the feedback, i will personally visit the Oakford Social at the back of the hotel as it certainly should not be the case that our guests are disturbed by their music. We hope to see you again soon - we have five other suites for you to visit!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I booked a room for 2 nights and a table for 2 in the restaurant on New Year's Eve.

This should have been a pleasant stay at a nice hotel and there were no major disasters but there were so many mistakes and minor problems that it became a real disappointment.

The first was 10 days before when we received an e-mail advising that I had been designated as administrator for the dinner and that pre-ordering was required for a party of our size (two!). I responded to say this requirement was not stated when we booked and we did not want to decide what to eat until the day.

This resulted in a rather unfriendly reply a few days later saying we did not have to pre-order if it "was a problem". It was, but not a great one, so we thought no more about it until 4 days before when we received another e-mail again saying that pre-ordering was required and we must place our order (via what appears to be a third party website).

I thought the first e-mail was badly worded (intended for party organisers) and inappropriate but to send a second after we had agreed pre-ordering was not required was much more annoying. More importantly, we were not going to be harassed into this when we did not want to and it had not been requested when we booked.

I therefore rang the hotel manager who was pleasant enough and promised to stop any further e-mails but also left me with the impression he thought I was making a fuss about nothing.

The problems really started to multiply when we arrived.

The room was dusty (when I foolishly put some cushions on top of wardrobe, we were showered by a cloud of dust); the beverage tray was not refilled after the first night; there was a hair in shower; and the windows looked like they hadn't been cleaned for a very long time.

For a "superior" room, it was very standard and not nearly as nice as others we have stayed in at Malmaison/Hotel du Vin hotels.

When we went to eat on New Year's Eve, we were shown to a corner table which suffered from a cold draught. When we asked to move, the staff looked a bit alarmed but found us another table nevertheless. We thought that was good given that it was such a busy evening.

Unfortunately, it was downhill from there.

My wife's starter of lobster ravioli was lukewarm & rubbery. We've no idea whether it had been sitting around for some time but it certainly tasted far from freshly cooked.

My starter was described as a rabbit terrine, rabbit liver mousse and soused apricots. There was, however, no mousse (unless it was part of the terrine, which I doubt) & definitely no apricots.

One of the wines I wanted to order was not on the menu. When I enquired about this, the waiter said the menu in our room (where it was listed) must be an old one as the wine had now been discontinued. He said he could probably find some if I wanted but recommended an alternative and very kindly offered a large glass for the cost of a small one. We thought that was a nice gesture, which we accepted, but unfortunately when we got the bill, the full price had been charged. We would have preferred him not to have made the offer rather than offer but not deliver.

Our main courses were very nice but, again, there was a discrepancy between the menu and what we were served: the goose was supposed to include breast and leg meat but there was none of the latter.

We then realised that we hadn't had the sorbet which should have been served before the main course, so had to ask for that and eat it after.

To end our meal, the cheese "trolley" shown on the menu (which we took to mean a choice of cheeses) was actually a cheese platter with no option to choose.

The evening's catalogue of mishaps was completed when we went to order a cocktail which was included in the room & restaurant menus but was not on bar menu. Again, however, to be fair, the waiter very happily provided this when we asked.

Finally, when we checked out the following morning, there was only 1 member of staff on reception who waited until there were 6 guests queuing before asking another person to join her.

You may be thinking these are all minor irritations. You are right, they are! It is the number of them which disappointed us. We could - and did - accept many as minor issues but to experience so many suggests either incompetence or that the management don't think these details are important. We got the impression it was the latter.

We have stayed at and/or eaten in most of the Malmaison/Hotel Du Vin hotels and found the experiences to be very patchy. Initially, they were very good but we stopped visiting after significant problems at Oxford, Henley & Birmingham. More recently we have started visiting again and have had good experiences at Birmingham & Manchester but Reading was a real backward step and not one we would want to repeat.

Room Tip: Avoid those overlooking the internal atrium
3  Thank BirminghamUKTony

Thank you for taking the time to write such comprehensive and constructive feedback. Please be assured that i have read this thoroughly and ran through the points with the team. We hope to see you again soon so that you can witness the benefit of your time and effort in letting us know where we have opportunity to improve.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel is well located and the bar areas very cosy and warm. The room we had was very dark and although nicely appointed it definately needs more lighting.

The worst aspect of our stay was a guy called Leo on reception who was overly aggresive in checking that we were both 'eligible' to stay at the hotel. We returned around 12.30am from our night out and we had to produce not only our room key to prove we had a room but also our name and address etc. It was quite ridiculous and his manner was unneccessarily suspicious and aggresive. This alone has put us off returning to this hotel but the other staff were fine and for £80 or less per night it's a better bet than Novotel / Mercure etc. The Penta Hotel is a nice hotel but the other end of the shopping area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath if that's important and also a well lit room!
1  Thank oxonpaul
Paul W, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay however was surpised and disappointed to read the manner in which you were made to feel by my night team. Please be assured that i will personally speak with the member of staffed concerned, whilst our guests security and safety is paramount, a guest of the hotel should not be made to feel unwelcome at any time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards