“Simple Comfort and helpful staff”

Ibis Reading Centre
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Simple Comfort and helpful staff”
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice in the past week. Rooms are above basic with nice touches like a plug socket by the bed for a phone/tablet on charge as opposed to on the opposite side of the room.
Front desk staff efficient and helpful. Will definitely stay here again for business travel in Reading.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Ric M
Thank you very much for your kind comments further your stay at ibis Reading
The staff will be delighted to know you found them helpful and friendly
We look forwrad to welcoming you again
Regards
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I booked late and so one night cost me around £125. This was too expensive for this standard of hotel.

However, if you are expecting basic then you won't have much to complain about. The rooms are clean, the breakfast adequate, etc.

The location is good for the rail station, car park and town centre though.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Archie74
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review further your stay at ibis Reading Centre
I am glad youhave enjoyed your stay, and have noted our comments about the price
Indeed we have reduced price on the prepaid rate when booking on our website.
Best regards
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

The single person on bar/ check in was overwhelmed by her dual duties when I checked in at 9.30. So I was a little irked to then have to complete my address on a check in form when another Accor brand hotel on friday had all my details and just required a signature. On the + side they did give me a check out extension
Usual high standard Ibis room but the wi if was not working though I note it is now free.
On check out asked to hold my bag as I had done at the previous Accor brand hotel to be told there was a £2.00 charge at this location

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear MR Gortin
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at ibis Reading Centre. Indeed our Wifi was down but it has now been fixed.
I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Kind regards
East of England
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Not being able to book my usual hotel, I had to search a little wider than usual, and could only find this hotel available in the short time I had. I travel weekly to my office near Reading, and I booked this hotel a day before my trip was due.

The hotel is only a 3-5min walk from Reading main train station, and is situated on a main road, where there are a number of places to eat and drink. The hotel entrance is nice and bright, clean, with only a slight hint of cigarette smokiness in the foyer, but it would have been better if there was none at all. There isn't really any designated smoking area I suspect, which is why customers hang around the front doors and hence the smoky smell.

Once through the doors, there is a fairly modern interior, quite small, but very functional. Check-in was smooth and simple, and just behind the check-in desk is a seating area where you can have a drink etc. Small, but OK. I was provided with the usual key card and directions to the lifts.

The two lifts that are provided are a bit on the slow side. I was lucky in that when I wanted to use them on the first evening, it coincided with others coming out, so I got in straight away. In the morning, when I called the lift on the 10th floor, I waited a good 2-3 mins for a lift. Might not seem a problem for some, but for me, I detest waiting for lifts! Each lift requires a swipe of your door card to make the lift work! The lifts were clean and tidy, and seemed to be well maintained.

Once out of the lift, it was a short walk to my room, and it's interesting that there are not many rooms per floor (10-20). My card worked first time in the lock, and I was greeted by a standard double room. This consisted of a double bed, cubicle shower and sink unit, a desk and a small storage area. The room is small, but not tiny, and is perfectly acceptable for a single person, or couple. The decor is plain, nothing exciting, but again, nothing old and grotty, just a bit bland and functional.

I personally was disappointed with the storage, as I hung four shirts, and a coat, and there was little room left inside. I get it's for a short stay, but the hanging area is a bit cramped. Also, the storage bins inside (and next to the hanging area) are a bit difficult to get stuff in and out. All in all, it works, but is a bit of a faff, but is functional.

Next to the storage area is a small table, with a modern LCD TV, which worked perfectly fine with a good picture and a good quality remote. The TV was a little on the small side, given that even a budget hotel I stayed in in December had a 40" TV on the wall. This is being picky, as the TV provided is perfectly acceptable!

To the other side of the storage area was a long desk, with a phone, 2 power sockets and LAN port. All usual fayre and standard.

The bed was a double and was reasonably comfortable. The bedding was very clean and new looking, and the pillows were OK. Slept OK. There is an aircon unit on the wall, but mine seemed to be defective as the controls did nothing. Maybe it's turned off given it's January?? This led me to open the one window in the room, which has a limiter to stop it opening more than 3-4 inches, and this was fine.

Except - there was a lot of noise coming up from the street. The reason I said I slept OK, was because I was disturbed on more than a few occasions by the noise from the street. Reading is a town with a University, so there are plenty of people out and about having a good time. I suspect that the location of the hotel, fairly cheap prices and lots of people having a good time that results in the noise, but be warned, it is not a quiet place!

The bathroom is a self contained capsule, with a sink, toilet and shower unit and it all worked well with no issues. The shower was hot, pressure was OK, and the towels were OK too. All perfectly functional.

As I did not book a rate with food included, I did not use the restaurant, which is on the 2nd floor.

All in all, this is far from a bad hotel, and you get what you pay for. My rate was around £70 per night for bed only. Given I use it only as a base for getting to my office, it is perfectly OK. Yes it's quite functional, with little in the way of luxury, but that isn't a great problem. If you are after just a basic hotel that does the basics in an OK way, this hotel fits the bill.

Just remember the noise issue!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room away from the main road, it may be quieter. Do not bring a ton of luggage...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank blackpool_commuter
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your comments furtehr onto your stay at ibis Reading
We certainly acknowedge that being a town centre hotel, we do hear some noise comign from the streets, we have rooms overlooking the other side which are more quiet.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you soon
Regards
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013

For me, the best way to measure hospitality is to measure it by those who could be doing something better with their time, besides looking after yourself; to this end Xmas is a time when others could be elsewhere yet the service and hospitality I have received on my stay over Xmas has been brilliant. I have stayed in many hotels over the world but for a simple and cost effective choice, I could not be more happy - thank you Ibis.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneDubruille, Front Office Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Erskine F

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards
Monika