“its an ibis”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wiltshire
“its an ibis”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Needed a crash pad in Reading

It ticked all the boxes
A couple of minutes from the station
Cheap
Known quantity

Took a while to get to check in as the person being dealt with in front had brain fade about the name the room was booked in

I was offered breakfast at £4 as a special offer - I hadn't booked it online

Had a room on 12th floor - really quiet even though Saturday night.

Great looking shower but the adjuster for the height kept falling to the bottom, didn't report as only a 1 night stay

Apart from that, its a standard ibis - you know what you get

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Ibis Reading Centre very soon.
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have used this hotel on anumber of occasions and find it convenient for my purposes - either leisuere or business. Staff friendly and food satisfactory. Have not eaten late so cannot comment of '24 availability.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AnneDubruille, Front Office Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Krishnam Addala
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night to catch a concert at a nearby club, and for the rate I got, I think it was a good deal. The man who served me at reception was amazingly friendly, a redhead named Arthur, I think? Anyway, he was very helpful and so were the other staff at the hotel whom always greeted you when you walked past the reception.

Like others said, it was a bit of a bummer that they did not have free wifi, but I did see a sign saying 'Free wifi if you have a drink at the bar' so maybe you could look into that if you really needed it. But all I needed was a place to crash for the night, so it wasn't that much of an issue for me.

Another small issue is that the main entrance to the hotel is automatically locked after midnight, and you have to swipe your keycard to gain entry. However, my card didn't work, and neither did any that belonged to my friends. The hotel manager had to come get us. I suppose this is good in terms of safety, but it's not exactly fun to stand in the cold shivering until someone comes to get you.

Overall, the hotel is very decent and comfy. For such a low rate, it'd be madness to complain that it doesn't have the facilities of a Novotel (which is right next door).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor. Very quiet!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them.
Kind regards
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed for one night on business, the hotel was very close to the station so excellent for access from Heathrow. Room was very basic but clean. The only issue was absolutely no internet in the room (cable yes, but no connection. no wireless). No breakfast included, but there are lots of food options just outside and a Sainsbury's a couple of minutes walk away down the road.

Room Tip: Room in the 6th floor was definitely quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, For your information internet is available with a cable connection at a cost of £9.99 for 24 hours
I hope we can welcome you back to Hotel Ibis reading Centre very soon.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here about 10 days ago from me writing this review, and i think the title pretty much summed up our experience in a few words.

It's an Ibis so you know its not going to be 5 star huge rooms with every extra, but compared to the other Ibis's i have stayed in this was the worst.

Upon our arrival we were checked into a room on the 1st floor, the lady who checked us in was quick, but i would say too quick and seemed a bit rude, nothing was really explained and most things we found out ourselves or guessed comparing to other Ibis's.

The room itself was a good size for a 2 night stay which ours was, the essentials in the room worked, the bathroom was quite cool as it was a small pod but even the shower was a good size and dint feel boxed in, however there were a couple of issues, the bed was VERY squeaky and creaky and this was simply turning over or getting in or out of the bed, comfortable otherwise. the TV didn't seem to have any of the on demand features which other Ibis's now have such as the movies. One negative was there was a smell of cigarettes every so often, I'm guessing our room was above the smoking area but it was very noticeable even with the window closed.

The strangest issue we came across was trying to get food, the restaurant is on floor 1R in the lift, or up a small set of stairs from the first floor, however once we arrived on this floor every door we came across was either locked or had a notice saying it was alarmed, so we decided to go back to the room and try to order food using the option on the phone, after 2 attempts which rang 30 times each no one answered the phone so we gave up and ate in a different location.

The menu is the room was also very different from the menu in the Reception area of the hotel, so we were also very confused as to which menu was correct and what was actually available. Some items which were on one menu were not on the other.

Otherwise the hotel is clean and in a great location in the centre of Reading, very close to the train station and the nearby shops, pubs, bars etc.

The main reason i am giving it a 3 is because of the above positive points, however this is one place we have decided not to return to, the Mercure in the centre of Reading was more inviting and can be a similar price if booked in advance.

Also as a last joke, the key cards were issued in a Novotel card holder, i guess they ran out and went next door to borrow some/

Room Tip: Personally i would pick somewhere else in Reading, maybe the Mercure, didn't go much on the Novo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points your raised personally, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Ibis Reading Centre very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is very basic. The rooms are small with basic bathrooms, no wireless and a very average bed.
But what it does have is an excellent location, great staff and good value for money.
It is very close to the station and in the middle of town. There is also a car park round the back (Gerrard Street), it is quite expensive to park overnight but that's what you expect being in the town center.
Breakfast was also very simple, but it didn't cost the earth.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Reading Centre.