“Nice hotel close to the city center”

Ibis Reading Centre
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Reading
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was here on a business trip for 4 days. It is a good hotel which offers breakfast for some room plans. The rooms are clean and follow the standard IBIS design.

There is no Wi-Fi in the room. The internet usage in the room is charged @ 8.99 bucks for 24 hours and its a LAN connection and not a Wi-Fi. The staff could have been a little more polite and co-operative.

Room Tip: As for rooms away from the main road. Carry your own dongle for internet connection for convenience...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Amit V,

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Reading Centre.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I came to that hotel on a business trip. I usually stay in Novotel, but Ibis Hotel is just 10m down the road and cheaper, so I decided to give it a try. My first surprise was during the online booking, I had to add an extra 15 Pounds to get the "broadband package". Not really what you would expect in a major hotel chain, but I went for it as I needed it to work. I arrived at the hotel and found out that the internet connection was via cable only... No wireless in the rooms! Like in 1997. And last but not least, when I plugged my computer in, it simply would not work (impossible to get an IP address). I called the reception desk, they reset the system to no avail. I called again, they told me they would send me a technician. 48min later (and 2 extra phone calls to the reception desk), the technician finally arrived and the first question he asked was: "Is this a company computer?" I said yes. He told me: "then it wont work, you need to use your personal laptop, not the company one". I hadnt brought my personal laptop. He then plugged his laptop in to show me it worked on his. I replied that among all the hotels I had been worldwide, that was the first time I had seen that, and that this was simply not acceptable, especially when you had to pay extra to get a (wired!!!) connection! He said that he was hearing that all the time from everybody, but that management would spend the money to get a proper system. Obviously I was furious, I went down to the lobby, asked for the manager and I got directed to the team leader. I explained my issue, and she told me that I could either use the wireless in the lobby, or use the wireless connection from... Novotel, as my room was one of the few within range. They gave me a wireless voucher from Novotel and I managed to connect.

Note that the rate for the night was 119Pounds (not that cheap compared to some other comments) + the 15Pounds for the "broadband package" that obviously I didnt end up paying.

I will not come back to Ibis, neither this one, nor any in the world. The 15Pound/day is enough to put a wireless router per room... per day! I know this is not a local staff issue, but I felt terribly annoyed to have to go through that in 2012. If you come on a business trip, go to another place.

I deeply hope that somebody in Ibis management will take this issue seriously and put an end to it. The rest of the hotel is ok, but this kind of issues is a deal breaker. I will also notify the travel agency my company uses so that Ibis is not booked for us anymore (note that I didnt use the travel agency on that particular trip).

Regards,
Max

Room Tip: choose a room nearby Novotel as they are the only one with wireless coverage;)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Max,

I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations.
The team and I appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue.
Please feel free to call me on 01189 533 500 or email me on h5431-gm@Accor.com to discuss further.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

48 GBP for a clean, well appointed room in a hotel located in the heart of Reading is just amazing value. Would recommend to anyone. If travelling by car the multi storey car park on Garrard St is the best choice. 5 minute walk and the price seems reasonable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank tmsglc
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review.
I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

A town centre location, easily accessible from bus and train but without the usual road noise associated with such a location thanks to the pedestrian only zone. I can't fault the cleanliness of the room. In fact, the only thing I could find fault with was the broken kettle. In fairness to the hotel it would probably have been replaced within their 15 minute guarantee had I had the time in the morning and it did look fairly new. I think this reflects badly on the kettle manufacturer rather than the hotel!

If you're expecting a good budget hotel I can't see how it would disappoint.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Sir/Madam

Many thanks for the positive comments,
I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Ibis Reading Centre again very soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked a double room for one night in September 2012 via hotels.com. Paid £37 for the room on an advance pre pay no refunds basis.

Check in was swift and without problem. Was allocated a room on the 3rd floor. Room very much along the lines of the photos uploaded by other users. I would say that the rooms are about 15 to 20 m2 in size.

Room was spotlessly clean and everything worked. Bed confortable as well, no problems with the matress being thin as others have described. I'm not sure what the building was before it was a hotel but the walls in my room were made of solid concrete and you could not hear a thing from the rooms adjacent to mine. I stayed here on a Saturday night and there were plenty of youngters there for a night out but I heard no noise at all.

Didn't have the breakfast as at £7.50 it looked a bit steep for what was on offer, far better to use Weatherspoons which is about a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. As you come out the hotel turn right and Weatherspoons is on the left hand side of the road further down.

Overall can't fault it and for £37 amazing value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
AnneDubruille, General Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

So glad you had an enjoyable time at Ibis Reading Centre!
We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Despite nice spanish people at the reception desk, services are very basic and matresses would need to be changed asap! I don't what is the thinest there, matresses or separation walls between rooms? Definitely prefer the hotel next door when prices are down...

• Stayed: August 2012
AnneDubruille, Front Office Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I’ll look into the points your raised personally, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the IBIS Reading Centre very soon.

Krishnam Addala

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Excellent customer service by the front desk staff and assistant manager. Nothing was too much of an ask. Room was basic but clean (spotless), spacious and comfortable. Flat screen TV (though limited channels), coffee making facilities and very decent hairdryer.
Conveniently close to train station. Surprisingly quiet considering the location. Definitely great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
AnneDubruille, Front Office Manager at Ibis Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at IBIS HOTEL in Reading.

Krishnam