“Good value for money”

Great Expectations Hotel & Bar
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I gave this 5 stars because I think it represents excellent value for money in central Reading. My room (17) was very spacious, with a large four poster bed. The shower was hot and very powerful. There is a TV in the room with some satellite channels and a kettle for making tea and coffee. The rate includes a substantial cooked breakfast. It is true that the bedroom decor is a little dated but all in all and especially given the very reasonable cost, I was very satisfied. The staff were all very helpful and polite and the room was clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Great Expectations Hotel & Bar

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here for a night whilst away woth business in November 2013. Check in and welcome were fine. Room was only accessible via quite a few stairs (could be an issue if you have access difficulties) and was ok in the main. Bath and shower were looking tired and in need of some attention cleaning wise. Bed quite soft but comfy enough when tired! Breakfast service was efficient as was check out. All in all I would probably stay again for one night given the price and location but would lower my expectations from "Great" to "Average".

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Along with my book club we meet at Great Expectations once a month as there are side rooms to talk in. One of our members is in a wheelchair and we had a problem when someone had parked in front of disabled access door; this time they tried calling the car owner but to no avail. Luckily this was the summer and it was warm enough for us to sit outside.

However, when we visited again this month a car was again parked in the doorway and my friend, who had arrived early, was left waiting outside in the cold by himself for an hour until I arrived. Despite phoning the bar to explain the situation he was left by himself with no one to take him anything to warm him up. Luckily after he had been outside for an hour, the driver of the car arrived and moved out of the entrance.

When we went into the pub I asked the bar staff to get my friend a drink who proceeded to charge him, I asked whether he could not have something "on the house" to compensate for being left in the cold by himself for an hour and was told that it wasn't their fault. I questioned whether they considered themselves to have disabled access and was told by the bar staff that although it is "technically" a disabled entrance, they don't stop people parking In front of it. I struggle to see how that could therefore be considered to be a disabled access.

The barman told me it wasn't his fault and there was nothing he could do, I did suggest he could have at least taken something to my friend or not left him there knowing that he could not get in and was there by himself. I appreciate that it was not the barman himself parked there, but his response was completely inadequate. Suffice to say, we are now holding our book clubs elsewhere and I will never enter that pub again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ngea
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here with my wife from Friday to Sunday.
Great location, just about opposite the Oracle shopping centre. The bars and railway station about 10 mins away. The hotel definitely needs updating but it was comfortable. The bar downstairs is good and so are the staff. Breakfast was very nice on both days.
We used the hotel for a trip to Ascot Races and found it ideal for this. If you want 5* and pay 5* prices for facilities then this won't be for you but a cheap weekend away it's fine.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here for three nights. When I first entered the room I was impressed, given the poor quality of other Reading hotels. This rapidly went downhill when I noticed the bedspread hadn't been washed in a long time and then I went in to the bathroom ....

The smell hit me as I opened the door. From my conversation with Reception they seem to think it's the drains, but more likely it's poor maintenance and configuration. The shower curtain is too long meaning it sits in putrid water all day every day - I doubled it over the rail overnight and by morning the smell had reduced slightly. The toilet seat was cheap plastic and not fitted correctly so it moved around and slid to the side of the base when sat on. The drainage in the bath was poor, so more fetid water, and the bath panel had huge cracks. I should mention at this point it's not cheap - I paid c. £70 a night.

I asked Reception to move me to another room the following morning which they did. I returned in the evening and they had moved my case as requested. Again the second bedroom they gave me impressed at first glance, and the bedspread was a little cleaner, but while laid on the bed I noticed a cigarette stub on the floor beneath the radiator.

Into the bathroom and it's much the same. I lifted the toilet seat to find someone had left me a present(!) but this is probably poor plumbing again as one of mine came back to greet me too! The shower curtain sits in fetid water all day because it is also too long, and the drainage of both the bath and the sink is extremely poor - when I left the bathroom after a shower there was still 3 inches of water waiting to drain. To top it all off the plug was missing so I had to shave with a running tap.

Needless to say, I've cancelled my booking for 2 weeks time. I was going to make this complaint privately on the company website, but it appears there's no customer service details and I don't have the time or energy to explain to the staff at reception, I get the feeling they couldn't do much anyway.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The single room I stayed in was a good size and a lot better than expected at this price range. The breakfast was good and location excellent. You can park overnight on the street for free until 8am. The breakfast serving lady didn't say anything when I entered the room for breakfast which was a shame as bar and other staff very good. Will definitely stay again. Great value.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Bear in mind that this is a pub just across the road from The Oracle.

The staff were attentive and courteous on arrival and I very easily settled in. Room quality was very high and I was most impressed with the quality of the shower. Without a doubt the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. Breakfast was average with a ready supply of coffee. One plus was being able to choose how much butter I wanted rather than having it rationed.

This is a pub and as it was Friday night, noise levels were pleasantly low.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business