“Lovely stay”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I've just returned from a Saturday night stay at the Reading Lake Hotel. I chose this hotel specifically as I'd stayed there twice before but plumped for a suite and DBB rate.
The suite was excellent with a TV in both bedroom and sitting room (both flat-screen) as well as a fridge, ironing board (with iron), hairdryer etc.
I'm sorry a previous reviewer didn't think much of the lake, but it is what it is! I enjoyed looking out over the lake from the balcony and watching the bird life with many cormorants, herons, swans as well as a kingfisher.
I'd agree that the WiFi is poor.
I thoroughly enjoyed the evening meal which was of a high standard. The staff were attentive and helpful.
Breakfast was fine as well. My only minor complaint is that the restaurant has a somewhat odd atmosphere.
As I said this was my third stay and I will return again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay and nice to hear this was your third stay.

Just so you are aware our Wifi should be improved very shortly

Look forward to seeing you in the near future

Reviewed February 1, 2014

First impressions were good. Lovely views. Nice big reception area. Receptionist friendly and informative. Room 305 with balcony overlooking the lake. The room is spacious and clean. The heating was on which could be self adjusted. All the amenities you would require in a room. Not much choice in tv channels. There was a tea cup missing for a drink, but this was quickly replaced. Nice spacious bar with the rugby showing. Bar staff was a little inexperienced but friendly. We ate in the restaurant. The menu was a standard bar menu. Usual steak, pie, pasta and gammon. I had the pate starter and pasta. The food was excellent. Hot,tasty and well presented. However, the service was amazing to watch. We got our wine and menu. It was a good 20 mins before anyone took our order. Then we had to get someone's attention to clear before getting our main course. Having had a lovely meal we decided to have a pudding. It took half an hour to get someone's attention just for the menu. No one asked if we wanted any more drink, coffees, tea etc.......when i got my pudding. Seasonal fruit crumble with cream. It was amazing. Hats off the chefs. The staff were very inexperienced and did a lot of chatting and standing around. A smile would look good.
Apart from that, we would return, just to see the amazing views.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Reading Lake Hotel.

I am sorry to hear about the lack of service you received in our dining area but thank you for letting me know.

It is nice to hear you will look to return in the future and further to your comments we will look to improve the service in our food and beverage areas as quickly as we can.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here with my mum after a days christmas shopping in Reading town and it was a perfect end to a great day. I paid with a groupon deal so also got a free bottle of wine which we had in the room whilst watching tv. The staff were all welcoming, the bar area was cosy and friendly and the room was great with an amazing view. Yes its a little run down but that is the only fault. Breakfast although a small area had lots to choose from and it was very tasty. The location is about 10 minute drive from reading town and not much inbetween but perfect for a relaxing night away. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

It is good to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again even if its not for shopping trips!

Kind regards

Reviewed January 24, 2014

As I turned up in the dark and left in the dark I can't comment on the outside but things initially were positive, good reception and confirmed that there was Wi-Fi (only in the bar/lounge) but wired internet in the rooms.

Got confused by the lift - the rooms are on levels 1,2,3 - but the lift works on levels -1, 0, 1 as you start on level 2 (or is it 0?), probably the slowest lift I've ever used as well.

The first real failing was the quality of the internet - slow is not the correct word - my father-in-law uses dial-up still and his internet is faster! It was so bad I couldn't actually get the trip advisor webpage to load fully so had to wait till I got home to post this.

The TV channels are limited to say the least - Ch1-5 and SkyNews/Sports/Sports2 are the only channels - would be better with basic freeview!! Additional to that the TVs are still CRT and fail to reset to the widescreen setting of Sky - so you lose the sides of the picture.

The food was acceptable and the room in general was large and perfectly clean and tidy.

But for a large hotel I would expect all the other things to be sorted, for business travel I have limited needs - and this only really got halfway there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I am not normally the type to write bad reviews But there's a few things about this hotel that wound me up.

First impressions was ran down not looked after hotel with potential this was driving into the car park from outside it looked dirty. The grass areas outside were over grown and a mess, there was a old car dumped down the side of the hotel with the bumpers ripped off just give a bad impression straight away.

Walked into reception at about 6:00 pm greeted by nobody no bell to ring for attention no staff in sight, after about 10 mins I caught the attention of a bar tender who came up and checked me in, understaffed?

Room was clean spacious could probably do with modernising but generally nice. Went down for evening meal in the waterfront bar/restaurant only to be met with rolling eyes of the lazy miserable waitresses who seemed to be counting the minutes till they went home. I asked for a menu at the bar and she told me she'll come take my order when I'm ready. She must of been too busy messing about with her phone with her feet up on the table talking to her pal so after ten minutes I walked over to the bar where she sighed then eventually met me at the bar to take my order. Very unfriendly and unhelpful. I got the impression this hotel is family ran and these two waitresses are family members and can do what they want.

Next day I was getting waitered on while they were eating there meals it must have been really annoying for them keep having to stop eating while bringing my food and taking my empty plates away. Shocking couldn't believe it!!

Never go back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

It is very disappointing to read your comments and we will do everything possible to put these right.
Such service is not acceptable and will be addressed

Please accept my apologies

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife booked a night here on a Wowcher deal - 3 rooms to accommodate us and daughters and son-in-law. Reception was excellent as were all the other staff we encountered.
The rooms were comfortable, clean and lacked nothing apart from needing extra pillows which were speedily delivered to the rooms!
Yes, the rooms could do with a"facelift", but that is a very minor point as they were, as stated, clean and comfortable. A pleasure to have balconies overlooking the lake (rooms 223/4/5) and be able to view the ducks and swans - middle of nowhere, but how peaceful to be away from the rat race!.
We dined in and the menu gave an excellent choice. The presentation of the meals was good as was the quality. The wait for food was rather long, but proves that they're not using pre-prepared meals!
Overall a very good experience and we'd stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Sorry that the food took a little bit of time but you are quite right our food is cooked to order.

Many Thanks

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as my sister had her wedding reception in their Henley Suite a couple weeks ago.

The rooms are large and have beautiful views of the lake. Although in the middle of nowhere, I think it adds to the charm of the place.

Breakfast that was included was good, had all the options that would expect for a full English and continental breakfast. The breakfast staff could do with being friendlier though!

Overall I enjoyed the ambiance of the place, the reception, the food and enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul H, Manager at The Reading Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

We are very glad to hear you had such a great time both at the wedding and with your stay.

Many thanks and happy New Year