“Reviews are putting me off weekend booked at this hotel”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Reviews are putting me off weekend booked at this hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

A friend and I are due to stay at this hotel next weekend and having recently read various reviews, we are seriously considering not bothering to go as we don't want to waste even more money paying for poor quality food and sleeping in dirty rooms. Why the hell are Groupon selling supposedly reduced-priced weekends in such a shoddy place? I, for one, will not be using Groupon ever again as I think it is despicable to offer what appears to be a good deal rather than admit that no one would otherwise stay at this hotel. I have just looked at the clients photos and they are appalling. How long has it been since this hotel was checked to see if it deserved any rating? Perhaps the 'Hotel Inspector' needs to pay a visit.

Room Tip: There don't appear to be any good rooms
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruth260552

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there during this lovely weather and the location is just fantastic. The views over looking the lake are beautiful. The rooms could do with a bit of TLC but are ok. The bathrooms are in need of moderisation but are ok.
The only thing failing this hotel is the restaurant and bar menu which are Wetherspoon offerings for Ritz prices. Also disappointed with the breakfast offering; warning to guests, be there at least half an hour before breakfast ends otherwise you could go hungry!

• Stayed July 2013
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here two nights as attending family wedding nearby, Pleasant lakeside room but facilities very old fashioned. Pillows on bed very hard foam variety, so did not sleep well. Also very hot weather which did not help. Food only average and expensive. Breakfast on Sunday disappointing but on Monday was excellent when Hot food served to us, not selected from the hot buffet. Only toast offered, which had to be cooked yourself on rotary toaster, no croissants or french pastries. Good coffee but everything definitely better on Monday!

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room, very pleasant.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I saw a deal on Groupon, phoned the hotel and told them I'd seen the deal on Groupon and could I check the dates I wanted to travel were available, was told yes those dates were fine - bought my Groupon vouchers and then they wouldn't take my booking. They said they only accept Groupons at weekends (this was NOT stated on the website/voucher/over the phone!)

The hotels only suggestion, despite admitting I'd been incorrectly advised, was that I try to speak to Groupon for a refund. Groupon were great and agreed the voucher is misleading, and refunded me.

I still have to find somewhere else to stay now as I'd gone ahead and bought tickets for local attractions. A real shame.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

dorset
Reviewed June 23, 2013

my husband and i stayed hear on a groupon deal, we had a double room which was ok but very dated, loo rool holder broken, shower curtain dirty, we had a balcony, which was very dirty needing good varnish and sweeeping, the view was lovely, i think the hotel should put small outdoor chair and table on balcony so its guests can enjoy the view. we only ate breakfast, which was full english, it was self service and cold, not what you would expect from a four star hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhondda, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I will agree on the hotel needing a refurb but apart from that me & my husband both liked our stay for the 2nd time at this hotel, had great communication with the manager prior to booking, staff really friendly, lovely views with gorgeous lake. We had a great groupon deal that included wine & chocolates already in the room when we arrived, also included in the deal was a free breakfast. Will happily stay again :-)

• Stayed May 2013
Llanymynech
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

This place is awful, rooms are shabby, toilet to our fist room did not work, the whole place needs a refurb and is very grubby, I cannot believe this is being marketed as a 4 star it is no better than a 2. Avoid like the plague. I usually use Premier inn and thought this place looked good for a change. Will never stay at this hotel again, well and truly ripped off !

Stayed June 2013