“Better off at a premier inn. No fried eggs!”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Better off at a premier inn. No fried eggs!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Booked through Groupon B&B with a bottle of wine and chocolates, Arrived early evening, recption very friendly. We were told if you want to use the resturnant you will need to book a table but you were able to eat in the bar without booking (they shared the same menu). Booked in ,found the resturnant and decided to eat in the bar, found our room, first impression nice, over looking the lake then checked the bathroom well very dirty and disgusting mould, dirty toilet etc. The choclates left in the room where only a handful of Quaility street " No expence there". Complained about the room, up graded to their superior room, equally as bad as the other room no heating, very thin bed linen, poor tv channels unless pay to view no freeview, bathroom very very slightly better once we had cleaned the toilet seat, grouting around the bath and sealant black not white, shower worked well but Hot was cold and vice versa. Evening meal at the bar, To find that the tables were booked and being used as the resturnant because the resturnant was closed. As we had not booked a table we were expected to eat from sofa's and coffee tables " you would been better of eating of your lap" We complained, hence they found us a table. Food ok but over priced, I had steak - no steak knife.Totally no ambiance in the bar area a bit of music would of been nice, most people went back to their rooms after their meal as we did. Breakfast totally self service, no choice of juice's, cold coffee, bacon and sausage nice, no fried eggs.
The building looks very nice from the outside along with the view over lake from your room but it ends there, inside very tired and missing the little touches like bar mats, steak knives , a flower in the room. heating,a hung picture, tables laid for beakfast THIS IS NO WAY A FOUR STAR HOTEL !!!! If we were paying full price I would be asking for a refund.

Room Tip: Can't.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stay in the Reading area quite often and had not tried this hotel yet. Having seen the web site I thought I would give it a go. I checked in late 7pm and the receptionist was friendly and helpfull. The outside of the hotel is quite striking and I thought I was in for a nice stay. At £70 for a single occupancy room on a room only deal, it isn't cheap and therefor you expect more. Once I got to my room I found that while it had a lovely view over the lake it was just a bit tired, also the two electric heaters in the room were left on full, so it was like walking into a sauna. The bathroom is very grubby, with mould all over the grout, dirt in the corners, greasy finger prints over all the taps, toilet seat etc and odd marks/ stains on the mirror. Everything just looks like it could do with a good clean. Also there are parts of the hotel where there have obviously been repair jobs done in haste and never properly finished, emergency lights with really rough filler all around them, the bath end again seemingly stuck in place with gallons of filler. Staying on my own and checking in late I decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, which I usually avoid like the plague. The bar/restaurant had no atmosphere at all. The staff didn't seem to care about anything, no greeting on arrival, I sat down at an empty table and although there were 3 staff standing around no one came over with a menu or to get a drinks order for 5 minutes. I ordered at the bar, had an orange and soda, which was cheap orange and tasted like squash rather than juice. I then ordered the meze followed by a steak and ale pie. After a further 5 minutes a waiter came over to inform
me they had run out of humus for the meze so would I like any other dip. I suggested maybe tapenade, having not been given any suggestions to this other dip. He went off and along came my "meze" plate, which consisted of a dozen olives, some flat bread and what I'm guessing was Philadelphia cheese. Not really a meze plate. I ate some of the food, but not the cream cheese. Then was brought my main course. The pie was actually a plate full of chips with a stale puff pastry case on top and a mix which was 90% mushrooms, litterally 2 small pieces of steak and some kidney (I'm guessing someone opened the wrong pack while making the pie.). If I had thought that the staff would have done anything others than just head back into the kitchen and have a good old winge I would have complained. But it seemed pointless. There was no pretence of presentation, the menu wasn't cheap and yet the food I got I would expect better in a motorway service station. I then headed back to the room thought id watch some telly, only to find they only have 8 channels. In the days of free view there is no excuse to not be able to offer all the free view channels. I picked a movie instead and paid the £2.50 to watch it and to be fair they have a decent selection of new movies,but every 20 minutes the film would just lock up, then the sound would carry on and the picture would be out of sync so you had to pause and wait for it to catch up. Also there is no wifi in the rooms so you have to rely on the 3g signal. All in all it would probably have been a better night in a travellodge, where at least everything is clean and tidy, and a lot cheaper. It's such a shame because waking up in the morning and looking over the lake is lovely and this should be such a nice hotel, but it isn't. It's like a 80's 2 or 3 star hotel which doesn't want to change. I would not recommend staying here to anyone unless they get a dirt cheap deal. It's definitely not worth £70 a night for the room. Next time I'm in the area I'll go back to the madjeski hotel which was only £20 more but a million times nicer.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Chichester
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a £59 Groupon deal.
The hotel is very isolated but beautifully situated beside the lake. Decor in places very dated. Check in was efficient, allowed to book into room early. The room was spacious & clean & had all the facilities we expected given what we had paid. The bathroom efficient but old, marked grout & lots of lime scale etc. We enjoyed some lovely sandwiches in the bar at lunchtime & have to praise all the staff we came into contact with over the weekend, they were all very polite, friendly & courteous, a credit to the hotel.
We booked into the restaurant for our evening meal, restaurant was clean & looks freshly decorated. I felt the kitchen staff are trying very hard with the menu but probably struggle with the quality of food they are given to use, dinner was nice but overpriced given the quality, not really the chefs fault.
Breakfast was plentiful but would have been more enjoyable if it had been hotter.
This really could be a super hotel again if money were available to spend on it, the balconies & decking all look very tired & dirty but would be lovely to sit out on to watch the sun come up or go down!
I would stay here again but only at the same price, as the hotel stands at the moment I wouldn't pay any more. I hope who ever owns it now, has the money to restore it.

Chichester England
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked this hotel on a Groupon deal and then read the reviews here. We should NOT have worried. We arrived early on Sat afternoon and were told our room was ready and immediatly given the room key to Room 308 . This was clean albeit rather tired with only a wall mounted heater for warmth however this was adequate. The bathrooms are also tired with a lot of limescale on the wall and taps. We went downstaris and had sandwiches and a few drinks in the bar overlooking the lake, the sandwiches were very good and the guys working in the bar friendly and cheerful. When checking in we booked a table for evening dinner which was also very good although the FREE bottle of wine which was part of the Groupon deal left a lot to be desired !
Breakfast was served in the bar area overlooking the lake and my only observation was that the buffet breakfast was served on cold plates and the food was only luke warm however the quality of the bacon and sausage was excellent. If this deal comes up again I would not hesitate to book again and please do not be put off by the rather poor reviews on this site.

Horndean, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had a Groupon deal stay at the hotel, we were a bit worried as checked Trip Advisor and read negative comments. Check in was smooth and person at reception was very polite and helpful. Room was spacious, lovely view from bedroom over the lake,swans and ducks swimming around. If it was a warm Summer evening could imagine sitting outside with a glass of wine ( no chairs available, but it is winter time).Bathroom was a good size and clean but, anti scaling products would have enhanced the appearance of the bath taps and shower head, bit of grout whitening on the tiles. Heating was good in room, got a little chilly and put heating on and room warmed up nicely. Had a lovely evening meal and a few drinks in the bar. Barman dealt with orders promptly, polite and met our needs, we were the last to leave the bar....Breakfast was good, and a good selection, but how you want your eggs cooked would have been better other than just to only have scrambled eggs on offer. which was fine for one but not the other. This is a nice hotel with lovely outlooks from bedrooms.....just needs a bit of housekeeping maintanence...bits like wardrobe handle missing, tile grout, bath panel screw sticking out... not major issues but would up the standards and give better impression to others.

Harrogate, England
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night. The hotel is starting to look tired and dated. The room was OK, but the shower, whilst it was clean, had dirty grouting between the tiles and was generally old. The electric heater had scorch marks on the wall and this heater was the only source of warmth, with big windows overlooking the lake.
I went for dinner despite this and what a shame. The starter was very basic and my main course of vegetable madras was shocking. It was cauliflower, broccoli and carrot in a tomato sauce. I was still hungry and whilst I was watching football I thought I would get some chips. I asked for some bread to go with it. The chips came out after 30 minutes and the bread took a further 20 minutes. I heard several other people complaining that they had got their order wrong or it was taking forever to appear. And it wasn't busy!!
I paid £75 for the room and approx. £20 for the dinner. For £95 I suppose it wasn't too bad, if you are looking for a tired, dated hotel, that has terrible food and the kitchen are unable to keep up. Try the Wellington Arms at Stratfield Turgis if you want to see how it should be done for £95.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked through Groupon, I would have been extremely disappointed if Id have paid full price for this room. Tired, dated, bland, I cannot believe this is a 4 star hotel, The only thing going for it was the lovely view from the room. Arrived to used glasses and cans of lager outside our room as housekeeping had gone home, terrible smell in the corridors.
I would never go back to this hotel

1 Thank vivienne c