“Not the best!!!”

The Reading Lake Hotel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and i stayed here on the 26th October 2012 and thought the whole experience quite poor!!! We stayed for one night with a Groupon offer for £59 including breakfast and wine and chocolates in our room. Upon arrival the receptionist barely greeted us and felt like they didn't even want us there. The receptionist could certainly do with some customer service training. We were given our key,asked if we were having dinner there or not and then she pointed the way to our room (room 100). Once we got to the room the first thing we noticed was how cold it was. There was just a electric heater in the corner and it took a fair while for the room to warm up. The room itself was a decent size which overlooked the lake. It had a balcony outside on which you could stand and watch the ducks and swans. The chocolates as stated in other reviews were just a few roses and you got a voucher for the free wine which you had to take to the bar and exchange it. The bed was uncomfortable but sheets were clean. The bathroom was cold and not heated and even on the hottest setting the shower was lukewarm at best!!!
The room and the hotel in general had a tired feel about it and would benefit from a make over!!!! We went for breakfast the next morning and had to wait for 10 mins to sit down as it was so busy. When we finally got a seat we had to sit in a tub chair at a low table to eat our breakfast which to be honest wasn't very comfortable. The breakfast itself was ok although the croissants had all gone and the only thing on offer was a full english breakfast. On departure they did seem slightly happier to see us go but there was no "hope you enjoyed your stay" or "have a safe journey". If you've got a sat nav please use it as it is off the beaten track a bit and yes that bridge with the lights is narrow but not scary lol.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just came back from staying last night as my Mrs. booked it via Groupon to surprise me on my birthday. No signs for the hotel itself only for Copthorne hotel which this hotel used to be so be careful. Luckily I had satnav and did read reviews here before leaving. Otherwise I would have been driving for ages trying to find it. Also a BIG BIG WARNING for people who are scared of the dark. If you are travelling to the hotel in the night, please be advised that the hotel is located off the beaten track, very very dark wood around you for a good 15 minutes as soon as you get the M4. There is a set of traffic lights which leads you through a bridge. Just as a previous reviewer said, Sat there on those lights in complete darkness, with nothing around you.. Just feels like a very very scary horror movie, I normally consider myself as a brave person but I was literally getting very scared .We might have waited for a couple of minutes but it did seem like an eternity. So please if you are booked in do try and get there early.

The hotel receptionist on the night was completely not interested,as we had booked via Groupon, we were forced to find emails and vouchers with no offer of help or a kind word to let us take our time, making us feel that if we didnt have it, we wont be checked in,even though she had our details for checkin right in front of her. Very very unprofessional. No lake view as promised. free chocolates were Cadbury Roses,the ones you get free. Got a voucher for free drinks,but was so put off by the experience that we did not have either them or the breakfast, Packed our bags early and left. Bathroom towel rail never worked, old old furnishings, please remember in shower, Cold means hot, and hot means cold, very very strange. Not secure enough as the doors were locked via old style simple keys so anyone could open and peep inside as the cleaners did in the morning.Now the most important part, I believe Groupon and this hotel have both deceived us into thinking that this is a luxurious hotel which charges £100 plus for a one night stay regularly,however on using comparison sites I found out they regularly charge £45. We paid £59. So I will be emailing OFT regarding that. Will not recommend it even if I got for free. Worst birthday present ever. My Mrs. was in tears. This is the first time I am giving a negative review to a hotel even though I am quite generous with my reviews if you check my profile. No wonder Copthorne moved out from here. The only positive was the receptionist who smiled when we checked out and really seemed interested if we had any questions.

Couldnt agree anymore with reviews below us.. AVOID.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hussainfarhad
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business, arriving late in the evening (10:30pm) on my own. Luckily I had previosuy read a review that said to follow the signs for the Copthorne hotel or otherwise I would have got completely lost, and although not a nervy person, I felt rather uneasy sat at a set of traffic lights in pitch black on my own on this secluded track waiting for what seemed like forever for the lights to change to green. From leaving the main A33, I didn't pass a single car for the rest of the 10 minute journey to the hotel, a little disconcerting.

The lady on reception was polite enough but not very helpful - gave me my room key but didn't mention breakfast arrangements or evening meal arrangements (which presumably I'd missed). I had three bags with me and a coat which all in all I was struggling with a little but there was no offer of any help to my room, just a point in the right direction to the stairs!

The room itself was fairly welcoming, it was spacious and warm, although the runner on the bed was filthy dirty which was a little off-putting. The grout on the floor in the bathroom was dirty. Also, the shower was plumbed wrong so it took me about 10 minutes to get hot water as the "hot" actually meant "cold".

Breakfast was passable I guess, but basic - not offered tea/coffee on arrival, had to specifically call a waitress to ask her for some tea. Then when she brought the pot of tea there was no milk. The food was OK but not really up to the £9 per person standard. I did see somebody have some poached eggs taken to their table which they must have requested but again, there was no offer from the staff and not once did they come over to my table to check everything was OK (there were 2 staff working in the restaurant and probably no more than 12 customers in total so it wasn't like they were rushed off their feet).

I would stay here again I guess if I could get it on a good deal again (£75 from Late Rooms) but would never consider paying the full price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending 2 nights at this hotel for a recent conference. The location is potentially great with the hotel surrounded by attractive (gravel pit) lakes giving the opportunity for various watersports (including the rather noisy water skiing). After appreciating the location the hotel itself is a disappointment. The rooms need redecorating, the proximity to lots of water is clearly making the fabric of the building suffer and the number of spiders in one hotel room needed to be seen to be believed. The buffet lunch in the riverside bar was also dire. Its the only place that I have seen pork pies cut in half before being re-heated and served as a lunch dish, and the bread used in the sandwiches was more curled than the legendary British Rail sandwich of the 1970s. On the whole, I would avoid.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Visited this hotel following in from an offer i purchased for me and my partner of groupon - £60 for 1 nights stay - this was half price!!! I most certainly wouldn't pay £120 following on from our stay. Overpriced!

The hotel is secluded, nothing around except dark country lanes. The scenery and the lake are a pretty site, at night time the lakes not lit up so looking out the balcony door all you see is darkness!

Upon arrival we were greeted with a grunt n heres ur key ...thats all! No mention of have u got any dinner arrangements or breakfast... This only became a problem when we went down for dinner n were moved from the set tables to pub like seats n tables .. Not really what u want to eat your dinner on! Breakfast was a buffet style, half cooked sausages n bacon . Rock hard hash browns. Not good!

The room was average but dated, well the whole hotel was dated. Could be a real nice quirky place if the staff even cared and paid attention to the hotel and guests.

Overall experience i would say 6/10 ... If i had paid full price i would be marking it a 2/10

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Reading Lake Hotel. Not only is it situated in almost the middle of nowhere, it is not signposted...or is it!? If you follow the signs for Copthorne Hotel then you will get there! Apparently the Reading Lake is also known as the Copthorne Hotel but the sign at the gate says Reading Lake. Slightly odd and confusing I thought, maybe they should update the signs for their customers' benefit.
Arrived at the hotel and thought it looked rather pleasent. Signed in at reception when we were asked if we'd made any arrangements for dinner. We said we hadn't but would like to try the hotel's restaurant. She abruptly informed us that the restaurant was closed and would have to eat in the bar. The receptionist seemed preoccupied and uninterested in answering our questions.
We weren't shown to our room, just told where to go. On our way to the room we commented on the long corridors, dated decor as well as the uneven and creeky floorboards.
The room was ok, but nothing special considering it is a 4 star! After settling in, we began to notice the faults! The lampshade on one side was loose with a bulb out. The paper effect wall lights were ripped and burnt, the windows filthy, there was no central heating just a blow heater in the corner of the room and only one pillow!
Oh...and don't get me started on the bathroom!
There were 4 missing tiles, which had been replaced by odd ones that didnt match or go. There was mould on the ceiling and between the tiles. The towel rail didnt work and the plastic shower mat was in an unhygienenic state. overall a dated setup.

We stayed in the room for a while before going down to the bar to eat. The menu we were given was different to the one that was in the room. Sadly it was very limited.
We both started with the asparagus soup which was ok, it's soup at the end of the day. Then I had the duck which was erm...different! Too many flavours on one plate sadly. It came with mashed potato that was very saulty, a five bean casserole, which was basically tinned chopped tomatoes and some dry beans, and a honey jus. Just an odd mix that didn't really go which was a shame because I was starving! We skipped dessert as we weren't impressed. 2 bowls of soup, a burger (which was very fatty), a duck leg and 2 drinks came to just over £40...shocking prices!
We had a voucher for a free bottle of wine which we presented to the barman and then took the wine back to our room to have with our free chocolates. We poured the wine into the provided wine glasses in the room which we then realised still had lipstick on from the previous guests! The free wine and chocolates was part of the deal when the booking was made. However, the free chocolates turned out to be a handful of quality streets...all the ones that people tend to dislike!! Not what we were expecting and not what we were led to believe.

Breakfast is served from 7.30-10.30 in the morning, but we chose to skip it as we were told by the receptionist not to bother going down between 8.30 and 10.30 because it gets busy and we would be unlikely to get anything!! Personally, I didn't think this was very good advertisement for the hotel.

As a whole, we were utterly disappointed with our experience at the Reading Lake Hotel and doubt we will stay there again unless things change dramatically!
I strongly suggest that this hotel is reassessed for their star rating! I would say this is more of a 2 star than a 4 star!!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night in early October and upon arrival found ourselves greeted by a very miserable and incompetent receptionist. After eventually finding our booking and checking us in we made our way to the room. The winding corridors smelt of damp and looked dated. The room was to be worse. There were stained bed sheets, a VERY dirty toilet, a mouldy bathroom ceiling and shower curtain plus cobwebs and dusty furniture. The quality of food was abismal for the price they were asking and had to be sent back numerous times, and we were not the only people having to do this. At a price of £108 per night at the '4 star' hotel, there is no other way to explain out stay other truly diabolical.

2  Thank V1309