“A fabulous find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 19 Reading B&B and Inns
Kent
“A fabulous find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I cannot fault Amherst. I am staying here a few nights each week at the moment and, I have to say, the place is absolutely spotless, the managers (Cath and Doug) make me feel so welcome and are extremely accommodating. Nothing is too much trouble. They have thought of everything to make your stay as pleasant and as near as "home to home" as possible. I am so pleased I found Amherst.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have just returned from a two night stay in the Amherst. This was my first experience of staying in a B&B and I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. From the moment I checked in (late evening) I was greeted with a friendly welcome and shown to my room. The room itself was decorated in a modern, stylish way with double bed, sofa, table, chair, full size fridge, microwave, kettle and a chest of goodies including cookies, crisps, hot drinks etc. and was cleaned to a high standard. the en-suite was a tad on the small side especially the sink but considering the size of the room, it seems a fair compromise! The only drawback is that you have to order what you want for breakfast the day before (but I'm not sure if this is standard in B&Bs). The breakfast itself was lovely - the freshly collected eggs from the hens in the back garden really made a difference to my poached eggs!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jennifer A
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

a very nice place with excellent breakfast and very friendly people that care for it. Everything was friendly, comfortable and clean. We enjoyed our stay very much! busstop in front of the house, very calm place because we slept to the garden.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were a party of 3 adults and we took two separate rooms located at the back of the house. This B&B is probably the best I have every stayed at in the UK. The rooms were large and even had a small fridge and microwave with dishes and utensils. The house and rooms are spotless too. The breakfast was amazing. The hosts (Cath & Doug) made us feel very welcome and they were so friendly and accommodating. I would stay there again next time I am in the UK. It is located not far from the main rail station in Reading. Reading is a nice city with excellent shopping. It is only a 30 minute train ride to Paddington Station with frequent trains so there is no need to stay in London and pay the expensive B&B rates for small rooms. This B&B scores 10 out of 10 in my opinion. Can’t wait to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

A brilliant find - such a friendly and welcoming B&B with immaculate rooms and very comfortable beds. Breakfast was amazing - especially the kippers,complimented by the view outside with hens roaming freely around the garden.
Can't recommend it more, I have stayed in this hotel now once a month for the past year and I think I have experienced each of the bedrooms in turn, all of them were more than suitable ,very clean and warm with an array of electrical items to make the guests life easier.
Excellent hosts who are considerate towards guest needs, pleasant and very helpful.
Looking forwared to my next visit later this month.

Room Tip: My chosen room is number 4 but all of them have very comfortable beds.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

A brilliant find - such a friendly and welcoming B&B with immaculate quite rooms and very comfortable beds. Breakfast was amazing - especially having a chat with Cath & Doug! Can't recommend it more, if I'm in Reading again I'll be back. Thanks

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Louise C
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at Amherst over the Reading Festival weekend & really enjoyed my stay. The rooms were big, airy & clean & the service was great. Cath made a great breakfast each morning & both her & Doug really friendly. Its a short walk into town & to the festival. There is even a microwave & fridge in the room which we don't expect. We were very pleased! See you next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple