“Worst hotel and dirty too”

Parkside International Hotel
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“Worst hotel and dirty too”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

I have to say I stayed in lots of hotels but this hotel has to be the filthiest . The throw on the bed had bodily fluids , I could not even touch the shower curtain with black mould and god knows what.it was noisy with doors banging and thin Walls . The breakfast was worse if you could believe that , all the delph was dirty. I've never been so dissatisfied

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank CorlessGalway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel is tired at best. Sparse Old fashioned bedroom furniture, bedside table had cigarette burns, poor lighting, 1980's T.V . No hot water in shower at night and whilst I thought my luck was in because the shower ran warm in the morning this was short lived as the tap the fell off the wall. Towels old and greying. Budget facilities for not budget price, needs to have some money spent on it even if that means increasing prices. Staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Neil Joseph S

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I arrived at this hotel later in the evening (around 8pm), and the car park was almost full - full of work vans, lots of them - so I can't describe it as a business person's hotel, more of a workman's hotel.
Check-in was OK, no airs or graces, I had to ask about food times which is normally a standard piece of information at check-in, no advice re wifi, bar times nothing. I figured I would read about it in my room - that was a mistake.
My room was less than OK, but I was tired after a long drive and figured put up and shut up. Having not found an info booklet or anything I headed down and I popped my head into the restaurant to see what it was like - I didn't stay, instead I went to the local fuel station to get some food - I reckon it was more inviting.
So my room - hmmm, a Crossroad throwback with problems galore. As I walked in the door, dragging my bag behind I walked into the wardrobe that was directly in front of my face as I opened the door, oh well... let's see what inside the room is like. It didn't get much better. Carpet was not good, bed spread was like something that Miss Diane or Benny from Crossroad would have been accustomed to and the curtains didn't reach the floor, even though the window did... and the wardrobe was coming off the wall along with one of the wall lamps - visible wires - always safe!
Sleep wasn't very good as it was noisy from people in the corridor and TVs in the adjacent rooms. Morning came and so to the shower.
Now the bathroom looked OK, probably more recently renovated, BUT the water from the hand basin was non-existent, and the shower was cold - I tried and tried but could not get any hot water. Great start to the day - a cold shower NOT!
I gave this hotel 2/5, as it isn't the worst place I have stayed but it is in the bottom 5. I was glad to leave and it is unlikely that I will return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kaygee
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading reviews on trip advisor I was expecting the worst place ever. However, when we got there i was pleasantly surprised by the room being quite clean and pleasant. Our room had a really old tv which was strange because the room next door had a large flatscreen. There were toiletries in the bathroom and the room was cleaned thoroughly every day. The towels were a bit thin but were clean and still did the job. The shower was a bit dirty (limescale or something left on the head) and there was a slight bit of rust on the shower rail, but it didn't make much difference to the stay. The room was clean enough, big enough, the bed was comfortable and we had a decent sleep in it for our 3 nights. The night porter is absolutely lovely, and the most helpful man ever! He was very chatty and friendly and quick to point out the refreshment trays in rooms and help guests any way he could. On one of the days our card to our room stopped working, but we went to reception and the woman there fixed it for us straight away, with no problem. The rooms were decently priced for the time we stayed too. The staff were friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I like to give hotels the benefit of the doubt, not everything can be perfect however, I have to be honest. I booked the lawn hotel but they put me in their sister hotel Park side. On arrival there were groups hanging outside drinking and smoking on the entrance steps, not nice, there is no outside seating. The fire alarm went of 3 times Through the night... Faulty! The showers don't work properly. Bar does not take card under £10. They dont sell bottled water in the bar. Water stains all over ceiling. Pillows like lumps of rock. I think if you cant supply the bare minimum needed don't bother at all. Not gone for breakfast yet, still contemplating it. Maybe I'm just grumpy from lack of sleep from the the alarms! Just come back from breakfast, very nice, bar and restaurant service very good!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Not sure about this hotel, it's obviously fairly new but despite that has no aircon in the rooms. There are no brochures about the hotel anywhere in the room or reception, not even breakfast, meal times etc. Some people there weren't happy as on some sites it's listed has having a leisure centre, which if your idea of leisure is a building site then go for it!

The staff are friendly and there is the option of SMOKING ROOMS!!!

As I mentioned earlier, the building seems fairly new but even so there are cracks in the parking area and a few missing bricks! Bt the way, if you're nervous of dropping your keys, don't park over the mysterious gratings in the car park!

The rrom was comfortable with the usual tea/coffee stuff, however, it took 3 bath fulls before I managed to get clean water!!

Room Tip: some of the rooms face directly into other rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I booked a room (not via Trip Advisor) at the next-door sister hotel, The Lawns, and received a courteous call on the day to advise that The Lawns was 'over-booked' that night and my booking had been transferred to the Parkside Intl. The hotel is easy to find with plenty of free parking. The reception, bar and restaurant are all spacious (for a budget hotel), the atmosphere relaxed/casual and the staff amiable and human (you know what I mean...!). The room (110) appeared to be specially fitted for disabled access and was spacious, well-fitted and everything worked. There was plenty of hot water and the bedding linen / covers were better quality than most hotels in this price range. The room was at the back of the hotel and I didn't hear a squeak outside or from the neighbouring rooms. The free wi-fi was fine and connected quicker and easier than most. There is an extensive bar/restaurant menu in the evening and I paid £13 for a prawn cocktail starter, spaghetti bolognaise main and a pint of John Smiths (pure class, me...). In addition to the pub-style favourites there were many international menu options. However, the most popular items in the bar that night were burgers and steaks. The traditional English breakfast was definitely one of the better ones I have had for a while. My rating of average is only because there's no rating of 'good' - or maybe that should be 'good value'. Either way, I found no fault during my stay.

Room Tip: It was quiet at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business