“Fabulous hotel”

Parkside International Hotel
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“Fabulous hotel”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Great hotel my husband and I have sayed here 1 night every week for the past 10 months and have no complaints, hotel and room lovely, staff very friendly and excellent breakfast
would recommend 100%
Mr mrs Leggett

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Heanor, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were booked to stay in the Lawn hotel next door and we we told they had double booked us so were moved here as the hotel has the same owner.
The hotel was nice but the staff were on there own planet. Waited ages for an evening meal and outside was like a building site.
Room was tidy but had a smell of stale smoke. Sorry wont be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
South Yorkshire
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed for two nights and was disappointed in several aspects of the hotel. I found a dress ring just under my bed. Why wasn't it found during cleaning? Our hot breakfast was brought to the table before we had finished our cereals. Stains on the carpet, grouting on the bathroom floor was flawed which left dirty stains on the bath mat. The staff were friendly, just require better training.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My sister and I booked a room at The Lawns next door to the Parkside on the internet a few weeks ago. On arrival there wasn't a twin bedded room available so we were taken by Alex to their sister hotel the Parkside International 1 minutes walk away. Reception lovely and clean and modern and the receptionist couldn't have been more polite and welcoming. The room we were shown to was of a good standard, modern, clean, quite large, equipped with kettle, hairdryer etc. Bathroom spotless and supplied with toiletries. White towels which seemed a bit thin but did a good job of drying! The view was over the car park but it didn't matter. The room was warm and despite being on a main road extremely quiet. The room was the quality of a Premier Inn. We didn't eat in the restaurant that evening but did greatly enjoy a freshly cooked full english breakfast the following morning again with excellent service from the staff. We only paid £60 for the room which I realise was a bargain but I cannot fault the hotel at all. It was only a 20 minute walk from Reading town centre, there's a Beefeater restaurant 2 minutes walk away and plenty of public transport on the main road. There was ample free and safe car parking and also free WIFI. I have no idea why this hotel has received bad comments from other travellers. I would certainly stay again and would recommend this hotel to other people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The room was clean, the staff were friendly, very efficient and helpful and the breakfast was good.
Yes, the rooms need a little updating - old TV, stains on the carpet, a slight smell of previous smokers, and a shower that was difficult to control the temperature. However, these were niggles, rather than major problems.
Generally, what you pay for the room will give you a good guide to the standard you can expect. It's a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst attending the reading festival, we arrived after a very long journey and first impressions were okay the reception was nice enough. When we got into our room though it all changed the bathroom smelled damp the shower curtain was horrible, the rail was rusted and the entire bathroom looked unfinished with gaps in the tiles at the bottom. The window also looked out onto other rooms meaning that the curtains had to be closed at all times for privacy. We paid £120 for one night and after spending the night there I can officially say I would rather have camped, I think it would have been more comfortable!

Room Tip: Do not go here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Despite the title...I have to admit I have stayed here more than once. Not out of true choice but with work budgets being what they are, and the cost of Reading being what it is .. there's an old saying about beggars can't be choosers..
It does however seem that if beggars could be choosers, they would (and in some cases I suspect HAVE) chosen this place.
This place always used to be £59 per night come rain or shine (though I see prices have now gone up) and for the money, there is truly nothing good to say. The rooms are old and drab, dirty in a couple of cases, cracked bathroom tiles, cracked windows in one case and with the lighting quality of one of the rooms I stayed in, I think I may have got slightly more ambiance from my phone on charge in the corner.

Staff are not just uninterested but rude and in most cases, seem to have little idea about what they should be doing. I did once try the food but thankfully I managed to get the taste out after a week or so (there is a pub over the road, which does some ok food)

I could go on but most reviews say it all - dirty, smelly and with a damp feel. The one last - and actually the most notable thing in my opinion is the seedy atmosphere as soon as you walk in. There is a large portion of the clientele at this place who wouldn't be out of place in a rehab clinic

The one decent point I would say is that my first night here was spent in what could be the only decent room. I can't remember which one it was but it did have a small balcony and there was none of the grime that infests other rooms. It was for this reason that I actually went back. I'd like to say I wouldn't stay here again but budgets are budgets! And the back of my car does pose some problems with getting dressed in the morning

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business