“Not a great place - STAY AWAY” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crescent Hotel
Ranked #32 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Not a great place - STAY AWAY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Booked through my work for me, on entry to the hotel i noticed the 3* rating on the door (think this needs to be changed). Spoke to somebody who was staying here at the same time and they had to move rooms as they had flea bites all over them on there first night. upon entering the hotel i was greeted by a man who was soooo friendly (NOT) i was told to fill out a form, then got shouted at because i did not fill out the car registration, (i was not driving). The room was ok but i did check the bed for fleas but i was one of the lucky ones... checked the bathroom out and found mould on the window frame / bath tub, shower has no pressure i can pee harder.
I would advise not having the full english breakfast as its already cooked and then just microwaved to heat it up, hearing this when i was the only person in the dining room is poor, and then when it came out it was cold. All in all i would advise anyone who reads the comments here to never stay here. its a dump.

Room Tip: none stay away
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank David H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Arrived with my colleague , who also wrote a review beneath , (darrylpaula)
As we arrived at the hotel , first noticed how shabby looking it was on the outside , we checked in and was given the room key , there were sockets hanging off the wall in the corridor. Opened the room door and had a look around , the shower room had mould growing on the tiles , the carpets were filthy , I checked the pillows they were yellow inside the cases , and then my colleague pulled back the bed sheets to be greeted by jumping critters, fleas !! We're quickly retreated to the reception and informed the owner the room was not fit for purpose, and informed him of the critters , he asked u too show him , which we did , he squashed the bugs with his finger and replied "there are no bugs " the owner was very rude when we asked for a refund , and swore at us and told us to leave . Upon leaving we were approached by another guest , he was covered in bite marks over his neck , the owner came out and told us not to talk to guests and too leave the grounds
Overall this hotel is a dump , the owner is obnoxious and rude . And I would advise anyone not too stay there !

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Yampie77

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

On approach to the Crescent Hotel you will notice it looks a little shabby but trust me the outside is the place to be ! I checked in with collegues even though it looked shabby in the reception area we gave it the benefit of the doubt. Walking up the stairs to our rooms it was like a film set and I mean a horror film ! Entering the room the only way to describe it was warn out. I checked the bathroom it was like a mini eco system with mould growing and little insects flying around. I thought that I would check the bed and pulled the sheets back, don't know who was the most shocked the fleas or me ? We picked up our bags and dashed down to the reception to inform them that we would not be staying, the manager was rude and demanded that we pointed out the problems. As we inspected the bed once more accompanied by the manager we were happy to point out the jumping fleas. He squashed them with his fingers and said there was no blood so could not possibly be fleas ? We said that we were not staying, he was very very rude and said that there would be no refund unbelievable !!
I would like to point out it was our employer who booked this hotel, had I have booked it myself I would have first checked it out on Trip Advisor. Having stayed in Reading alot recently I must point out that some of the hotels are not pleasant, obviously there are good ones so the moral of the story is before booking a hotel PLEASE check it out on Trip Advisor first.

Room Tip: Don't stay!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank darrylpaula
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel was awful, the standard conditions of living were apalling, the hotel smelt bad, and the room was extremely cramped, you could not even fit your bags in the room due to the small size. The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful, booking was over a few days, refused to refund even part of the payment (we booked in for a few days), the hotel was so bad we just left and had to find somewhere else to stay - we lost over a £1000 on this. We will be follow up and try and get our money back, but do not think we stand a chance of getting anything back. It was booked through an agency, cannot believe they sent us here!!!

3 Thank TH_golder
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

After reading other peoples reviews of this DUMP!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel even more relieved that I didnt stay the night there! After 45 mins on the wifi in the room trying to find an alternative hotel on a friday at 5:30pm I went to talk to the manager about the state of the room,e.g. Bombay mix ,coins, and crisps down the side of the chair cushion,a shower that had never been cleaned,dirty walls,a fist shaped hole in the bathroom door! My personal favourite bit of the the hotel were the yellow stained pillows..
[owner] "Nothing wrong with your room!" [Me] "If you could come to the room I could show you the problems" [owner] "No! Your room is fine!" [Me] " If you think that is clean I think I should leave now,could I please have a refund as I cannot stay in that room" [owner]"No! you have used the room so you pay!!" Please never even consider this hotel I would rather sleep rough than stay here!!!!

Room Tip: The travelodge in Maidenhead was far better! Don't ever book here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Ben M
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

found this hotel on booking.com and booked at last minute.
there is a bad smell in reception. a double room with an extra bed for my son left no room to stand. loose electric fittings, mould on the bathroom curtain.
other hotels, premier inn, same price and 5 x better

Room Tip: book somewhere else
1 Thank Scoopy7432
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

On arrival this hotel did'nt look good, But we ventured inside as it had been paid for, It was shabby looking and didnt smell to good. Got to the room it was small but looked clean and tidy entered the bathroom to a great shock the tiles and blind at the window where mouldy. we didnt complain. we got up the next morning to feel like we had been eaten alive, then.to go down for breakfast in the basement. to an awful smell grease and over fried food. breakfast got worse it was not edible. There was cereal, juices,tea and coffee.but not enough,the only words the waitress could speak was full english but the smell was so unpleasant we didnt bother. If we could have afforded to leave and go to another hotel we would have straight away. Dont be fooled by the good price you get what you pay for. so dont waste your money here. pay a little extra and go else where.

Room Tip: choose one in another hotel
    • 3 of 5 bubbles