“A brilliant pub for everyone”
Review of Blagrave Arms

Blagrave Arms
Ranked #4 of 51 Nightlife in Reading
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A brilliant pub for everyone”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

A lot of people i know write this venue off as a gay bar. First off its not. Secondly, who cares anyway! Why attach a label...this is a fantastic venue, metres from Reading station, offering a wide selection on lagers, ciders and ales, one of, if not the most comprehensive spirit selections of all the local competition and lovely friendly staff, managers and owners.
Weekends are normalky busy with a full mixed crowd, accompanied by pumping background music with the videos played on their 2 screens and cleverly designed imbedded roof club style lighting. Weekdays are a calmer affair with various special live music events advertised. I have no personal experience of the food but complementary bar snacks (peanuts, stuffed olives and cashews tonight!) go down a treat! Highly recommend to anyone, plus by far the happiest and least moody crowd of all the bars in the town, theres just a friendly atmosphere in this venue. I am writing this review as a straight man for any haters out there determined to label this place due to ignorance.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Wouldn't rush back...”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Venue was pleasant. Food was nice, good value. However, seems to be a place for the staff to socialise and working gets in the way. We also experienced the local drunk who was constantly pestering the people around him (which the staff seemed to be encouraging). Nice enough atmosphere, wouldn't rush back though...

Reading, United Kingdom
“Not A GAY Venue”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Blagrave is one of the best Venues in Reading, Contrary to common or in some way frivolous opinion.
The atmosphere and total outlook of the staff is a compliment to perfection and customer service.
Albeit a Gay friendly establishment I WOULD CLASSIFY IT AS AN ALTERNATIVE VENUE.
The Ambience is second to none.
I would encourage all of you that are dubious of the venue to at least try it, the food, service and range of imbibements are first class couple this with ambience, triple it with friendly staff and quadruple it with oneself and you got the perfect night out

Visited August 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent staff and excellent food”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went with a groupon voucher for Sunday lunch and were immediately made to feel welcome. Very friendly and helpful waitress sat us and took our order promptly. Excellent food, large portions and a very friendly atmosphere. Will definitely return

1 Thank JFarley02
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“good pub food - not geared up for evening meals...”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a groupon for a meal for two, which said it was valid until 9pm, but when I phoned to book, they told me the kitchen was only open until 7pm, and the last booking slot was at six. I booked for 6pm, knowing I would turn up late because I don't get out of work early enough, but no one was annoyed. They were also good about me having left my voucher in the office, scanning the QR code from my phone.

The voucher was fantastic value - £19 for two courses for two, plus a drink up to the value of £6 each. The drinks were lovely, the bar is well-stocked and the staff are really friendly. I think it looks like a great spot for a drink and snacks after work. The music was a bit loud for a date or anything, but it was good for a mid-week (early) dinner.

We had a starter to share (whitebait), which was enormous (could have done without the full baguette on the side TBH). It tasted great. I ordered a burger for main, and he had the lamb shank. These portions were also enormous - I don't know how anyone could eat all the mashed potato that came with the shank. It was a shame there weren't any vegetables with the lamb (but it doesn't say it comes with any on the menu), and my burger was so big that the huge portion of chips and salad went untouched, along with the (I-don't-believe-it's-)homemade coleslaw (it might say home-made on the label on the tub it was bought it, but I'm fairly sure it's not made in house).

He ordered the hot chocolate fudge cake with ice cream for pudding, and it was standard, but tasty, and in a more manageable portion.

Overall, the food was standard pub fayre that tasted good. It was reasonably priced on the menu (£10 for the lamb, £7 for the burger, £4 for the pud and £6 for the whitebait (which would have done as an entire meal)). The atmosphere was a bit loud - it was getting a bit clubby later on, which is maybe why their kitchen shuts early, to cater for both markets.

Overall, a nice pub dinner if you don't mind eating early.

[THIS ISN'T REALLY AN 'ATTRACTION' REVIEW, BUT I CAN'T WORK OUT HOW TO ADD IT AS A RESTAURANT]