“Nice staff, nice buzz, average burgers, poor chips”

Handmade Burger Co. Reading
Ranked #59 of 638 Restaurants in Reading
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Visited around 16:00 on a Thursday in Feb. Friendly staff, helpful, natural, cheerful and polite. Burger wise - well they were good enough, not brilliant but better than average but not quite as great as I had hoped. The bun was a good size and nice texture, the toppings and servings were also fresh and crisp. I had the Jimmys Farm Rare Breed cheese burger - nice consistency and well cooked. Husband had the stuffed cheese and chilli - just a slight feeling of not enough cheese inside the burger (though we were offered more when we asked where the cheese was). We also had a side order of chips - which were not very nice at all. Now it was not peak time and I suspect that this meant the chips were not bring replenished as often as when it is busy so this may be the reason, but they were soft and fatty and overcooked or undercooked depending on the chip !
We were not sure what size the burgers were meant to be which is strange as most places say the size clearly (maybe we did not read the right bits).
We quite liked the Order yourself part as it means no waiting for a bill at the end but I can see it would not be to all tastes.
We will try again maybe at a lunch time - but I can see it being quite noisy in the evening.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The system of ordering yourself is questionable - I would have much rather be waited on like in other outlets in Reading. The girl at the till was very good, she even managed to up-sell me a mushroom for my girlfriend's burger. ...and I'm a tough cookie to up-sell to! Unfortunately, I never received the mushroom, despite paying £0.95 for the privilege. It's nothing worth complaining about, but that cost the staff their £3 or £4 tip I usually leave. Additionally, they didn't have the fruit juice I wanted to buy and I had to get up and ask for ketchup. The burger was nice! We also received plenty of chips for my money. I would return, but the visit had its flaws.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

1) You sit down in a cramped charmless place. Start chatting over the load music only to find out you need to get up order.

2) Food comes, friend is biting into burger for the first and staff member runs up face to face And asks him what's it like. I had to talk for him to tell her to go away.

3) Burgers were average - over cooked so tough. A specialist burger place who boasts about the quality of meat were you can not choose how it's cooked?! Also no char grill.

The bun is terrible and falls apart. Really terrible to point you question what they were thinking.

Chips were undercooked, oily and weirdly very very sweet. We left them, two starving 16 stoners...

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was my second visit to this restaurant and I was very pleased with the food that arrived at the table. Being gluten free I had to order my burger without the bun. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I thought that I would be given the pattie with coleslaw as was outlined on the menu (supplement for the missing bun). However when the food actually arrived I was happy to see that there was a good amount of salad with the pattie laid on top and plenty of sauce to accompany the meal. Also a good portion of coleslaw was provided. The chips that we ordered with the meal were also a good size and very tasty. It's good to know that they make the chips fresh every day from seasonal potatoes. They do taste very much like the chips my mum used to make growing up!

I'd definitely recommend this place for very tasty food and if you're gluten free then there are some good options for you! Service was also pleasant and efficient so a good place to drop by if you'd like fresh food without a long wait.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Had a great meal here tonight. 1 small blip with my burger was cold Mozzarella but this was sorted by the staff with no fuss. We would recommend to others.