“Try Papa Gee's, you won't be disappointed!!”
Review of Papa Gee

Papa Gee
Ranked #27 of 630 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Went to Papa Gee's on Friday 8th feb. Me and my other half Nikki have been here a few times before and always had good food. We invited a couple of friends out for the evening. They'd checked out recent reviews and weren't too keen to go due to poor reviews. I talked them round and out we went!!
We got to the restaurant early. The waitress was very friendly and welcoming. The food is just gorgeous, all fresh and with first class ingredients. Perroni goes down lovely after a hard day in the office.
Four people; starters, mains, drinks ( lots of!!) coffees (alcoholic).....great food, great place, great service... All this for £27 per head!! You can keep your Strada's and Belle Italia's, this place is just awesome!!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Popped over to Papa Gee’s for lunch today. As others have said, it was terribly uncomfortable and a horrible atmostphere with tacky radio music; we had to listen to ABBA and Boyzone for the whole time. Certainly not authentic. We were the only people in there; the waitress was miserable as sin and could not speak a work of English. I ordered the Papa Gee Pizza (Chicken, Mushroom and Pepperoni) on the lunch deal of a Pizza, Chips and a Coke for £7.95. When it arrived, it was the most pathetic pizza I have ever seen. Plenty of base, but I had 3 pieces of pre-frozen chicken, 4 small pieces of pepperoni and 2 slivers of mushroom; not a good ratio. It tasted absolutely awful, and I had to stick a teaspoon full of salt on it to make it manageable. Once half eaten, I left it; the waitress came straight out with the bill without offering coffee or dessert and made us feel very unwelcome. I asked to speak to the Chef. I told him it wasn’t very nice and I was really disappointed with the lack of topping, to which he replied “It’s because it’s on a lunch deal – it’s cheaper for us”. He didn’t offer anything to compensate. Absolutely disgraceful.

2  Thank HoIIy
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was staying in the hotel next door, of which this restaurant seems to be a part. I decided on my first morning to have breakfast in this restaurant. The food was of just average quality, the portions just adequate, and the price was astronomical!
My full English breakfast itself was priced at over 6 pounds and a small pot of tea was a few pence short of 3 pounds!!!
Other local cafes have better food, bigger portions with teat or coffee included at 3 or 4 pounds.
I would highly recommend that Papa Gee's be avoided.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our family stopped for a meal on the way home from Bristol. It was completely empty. The seats were very uncomfortable since they were all broken at our table - rips etc. The garlic bread was good, but everything else served was completely laden in oil. We could not eat the soup since this was bubbling in greasy oil. The salad was drenched in olive oil and the pasta meals were also caked in oil - I have never tasted any Italian meal like it, especially since the price of each meal were not exactly cheap. Very disappointing food and we had to stop off at the supermarket afterwards to buy sandwiches so that we had eaten something on our way home. Very disappointing. The waitress was very friendly however.

1  Thank RLC940
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This place is attached to a hotel. It is definitely not a place to visit for a fine dining experience or even a comfortable seat. (Although it did look clean) However, the pizza definitely makes it a worthwhile visit. I visited on a Saturday evening, it wasn't very busy and the waitress who served us was very pleasant and attentive. We ordered garlic bread and olives to start. The garlic bread was very good and tasted fresh and buttery but the olives were disappointing although a very generous helping. We both ordered pizza of which there was a good selection and a side salad. While the side salad had seen better days the pizza was fantastic and if I closed my eyes I could have been in a taverna in Italy! The restaurant also does take away for the whole menu.