“Very impressed”

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Very impressed”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I needed somewhere to stay for my family and my two sisters families, I found this hotel online and as it was just for one night I went with the cheapest hotel I could find. I had to ring the hotel on numerous occassions for various requests (cot and early check in), each time they were very helpful and did everything they could to help me. I had the same service whilst staying at the hotel, anytime I asked for anything they very happily helped me and our rooms were huge and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Mercure George Reading in the future.

Stuart Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Northumberland. U.K
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed here whilst visiting a friend. All round very good experience. For a 3 star hotel, the George offers excellent value.
Pros: Central location, very safe. Less than 10 mins walk to the station.
Very clean room and public areas
Extremely comfortable bed, pillows.
Variety of Teas & coffee making facilities
Free safe
When I arrived, the courtyard was full of day visitors who were eating/drinking

Cons: Free wi-fi was unreliable
complimentary fridge was not cold (although this is not usually offered at 3 star)
No evaluation form to fill in!

Would I stay here again? Yes, definitely. For members who have criticised this hotel, I'm not sure what they expect for the prices.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

cambridge
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Mecure should be ashamed of this disgraceful hotel. I barely want to spend time writing this but feel i have to to save others the misfortune.

Hotel - It isn't ye olde or quaint. Its run down, dirty, noisy and hot.
Staff - When I complained about the heat the woman on reception told me that i'd need to wait for a fan because she is the only member of staff working at the hotel. 6pm on a weekday !!!!
Room - Poor wifi, no aircon, tiny, open window and it's incredibly noisy. dirty, rundown (see photos)
TV - Worked 50% of time at best. they even have a sign telling you what to do when it loses reception. I DONT WANT A SIGN I WANT A WORKING TV
Fridge - an old fridge just sitting on the carpet under desk where your feet and legs are supposed to be... this is ULTRA ULTRA BUDGET
Bed - didnt sleep a wink, aside from the heat the matress was terrible and duvet cover had a burn mark

Bathroom - uncleaned, dirty, mouldy, hot.. stinks of damp

AND would they change my room ? NO NO NO NO NO. Wouldnt even entertain the discussion.. disgusting Mercure !!

Enjoy photos..

Room Tip: just dont stay there
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank camb48
Sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading. I will look into the comments made personally and come back to you. Please send me your contact details.

Stuart Hall

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

derbyshire
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed at the George for one night after a great day sightseeing in London on the 31st of May and where more than happy with the room and service we where given and as for the breakfast it was great and set us up for a day at legoland.Would def.stop at this hotel anytime we are back down south.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank quiffderbyshire
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Enjoyed a very nice weekend at The George Hotel in Reading recently. The room was very spacious and had all the facilities l needed. It is located right in the Main Shopping Area so in a very good place to stay. The en-suite was very nice and the breakfast was sufficient.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor in the new block. Very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Liz B
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments they are much appreciated regarding your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading.
I look forward to seeing you again in the future.