“Quirky not quaint”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Reading
crowland, lincolnshire, uk
“Quirky not quaint”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

I spend my life telling everyone that all I need from a hotel is a clean room a decent shower and a comfortable bed. Two out of three here. The hotel is old and as others have said, floors uneven, headroom in some doorways challenging and my car is parked somewhere across the international date line, none of which really matters.

Room well lit and bed very small (ok for one night I suppose) and bed too soft for my comfort. Unusual in Accor group hotels. Staff correct rather than cordial. Alas nothing at this hotel would make me want to return. I felt as if I had been sofa surfing with a host I never met before creeping out.

Overpriced for what it offers. I saw on the reception desk that various other guests had a double room with breakfast at a significantly lower rate. I understand the variable pricing model, but when will hoteliers learn not to flaunt the results in this way?

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mozart21
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and i will look into the comments you made.

Stuart Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had really looked forwards to my visit here as I love historic buildings and this certainly met my expectations. I had a great room away from everyone and it was very comfortable and spacious. Unfortunately the heating couldn't be turned off so I opened both windows to the maximum allowed, which wasn't a hardship as I prefer that. I wasn't prepared for the noise from the street, though, early the next morning! Not the fault of the hotel, but it would have helped if the heating thermostat had worked.
Sadly, I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the bed linen, and although the bathroom was nicely furnished and modern, the inside of the shower had mildew and didn't look that clean. Such a shame. As others have observed, the breakfast wasn't up to much, and not very inviting. Staff seemed to steer clear of guests except when going in and coming out and I personally felt very uncomfortable.
The location is obviously the selling point, as well as the stunning architecture, but that's it. It could have been so different.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I am sorry that you had some issues during your recent stay at The Mercure George Hotel in Reading. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and will investigate the comments made. I was pleased to read that you liked the character of the building.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

There are pictures of rooms on the internet which almost convince me that I must have stayed in a different hotel.

My room was rather small, with ancient furniture, and I didn't need a spirit level to convince me that it was severely out of kilter. However, after descending to the bathroom the floor became much more level.

Quirkiness can, of course, make for a great tourist hotel, but the George doesn’t have the necessary decor in the communal areas. The bar is very plain and I was less than impressed that only real ale on offer was so badly off that it was approaching vinegar. I was told that some people had said it was OK, but others had agreed with me.
Having ventured out into Reading for an office Christmas meal I was slightly perturbed to find the gates to the courtyard locked on my return.

Breakfast, included in the price, was the normal hotel warmed buffet variety served in a rather small room next to the bar.

Overall a disappointing experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at The Mercure George in Reading. The Bar has just been refurbished and has been well received by our guests. I will look into your comments regarding the real ale.
As a historical hotel it would be very difficult to have all floors completely level as it would take alot of the character of the building away.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss further

Stuart Hall

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were staying in Reading overnight to attend Christmas function in another hotel that was rather pricey,so we booked here. Right in the centre of Reading shopping area...10 mins walk from railway station. Pleasant room, nice and warm,comfortable bed and good size en suite with a bath,nice and quiet.Very good value, although no breakfast included.Walked few minutes to the 'oracle' shopping,lots of different places to have breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue_upfield
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Gwent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Poor and tired rooms, no parking, AWFUL service and standard breakfast.

Real opportunity to create a boutique quality hotel, missed due to lax approach to standards and service.

The location is it's only positive, which might appeal to people who will ultimately leave disappointed.

Stayed September 2013
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at The Mercure George in Reading and i will look into the comments you have made.

Newport, Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have just returned from a short trip to Reading to spend time with family. We used the train to travel. The Mecure George is a short walk or taxi ride from the station. The hotel approach oozes history and character. The hotel was built some years ago and has historic links *explained in the welcome pacK" with Charles Dickens (his seat can be found in the reception area). The rooms have been refurbished to a modern standard with a good selection of complimentary hot drinks and toiletries. The floor boards on the first floor did creak (in keeping with the era of the building), but to be fair these were not adjacent to any rooms (landing area only). Our rooms near the top of the building were quiet throughout the night despite the hotel being in the centre of Reading.

Arriving early we tried an afternoon brunch in the bar,we would recommend this to any visitor the omelette in particular was a 10/10.

Room Tip: Try the food and relax with a drink