“I understand why it is ranked #1”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Beech House Hotel

Beech House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Wirksworth, United Kingdom
“I understand why it is ranked #1”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Having seen Beech House ranked as number one in Reading, I thought I would give the place a try. Now I get it: the place is immaculate and the service first class.

The room I stayed in was number 10, just at the top of the first flight of stairs. It is a bit narrow but still plenty of room to swing the proverbial cat! Well furnished and with a good digital TV and, importantly, excellent free WiFi. The bathroom is lovely and the power shower could strip the paint off your car: certainly invigorates you in the morning.

Service was great: I tend to drink quite a lot of orange juice and the gentleman in charge provided me with a huge glass with no fuss. Breakfast was also excellent and served in a very pleasant dining room.

Reading is full of bland chain hotels: Beech House is like a country home. Try them first!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nferguso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed with my husband and 14 year old daughter for Reading Festival (first timers)
Hotel clean, comfortable, room not too hot so got a good nights sleep. Great breakfast. Staff friendly, nothing too much trouble. Arranged taxi too and from festival - resonably priced.
Relaxing place to come back to after long day/night - would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank D M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have stayed here 6 or 7 times on business trips. I don't usually like B&Bs and would go for a hotel (just personal preference) This is a gem though among MANY thorns that populate reading. Rooms are very large and some are excellent quality (others that are not quite as good are still very nice) very comfortable beds, good tea and coffee selection, great choice of TV and the best part is the proprietor. He is very polite and professional, always remembers who you are and I always call him up for a room.
Breakfast is also nice - not the best I have had but there is plenty of choice and for a business of this size, I would usually expect much lower standard

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sunslave2012
Welwyn Garden City, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This comfortable, quite stately, small hotel with an unprepossing exterior has an interesting interior and really lovely small garden. The standard double we had was compact but immaculately clean. The bedding probably needs updating (pillows/ bedcover).

There has been huge attention to detail everywhere and the decor generally is immaculate and once again immaculately clean.

Breakfast was very nice and there was a comprehensive menu offered.

The Manager who welcomed us in the evening was hugely attentive, polite and efficient.. I recommend this hotel for a stop off that is easy to find and fits the bill in an affordable way..

Room Tip: The standard may be a little small for some people.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pam D
North Yorkshire
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed for two nights over the 1st weekend of the Olympics as a convienient and reasonably priced base for travelling into London. This has the feel of a small country house hotel with nice clean decor with period features and a lovely garden at the back. The welcome and service by the manager and staff are excellent, the rooms are a good size; we had a double room with a rollaway bed for a teenager and didn't feel at all cramped. The breakfast is good, one small critical comment; bathrooms really should have locks on them and ours needed updating. The shower is no more than adequate, cracked tiles and fading paint with small patches of damp mould on the ceiling giving a must odour.

Room Tip: Some road noise at the front
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel in June and will definately be bookng there again. I was reluctant to write a good review as I don't want the Hotel to become so popular, I can't get booked in!!!
The hotel was clean, well decorated and had a relaxed and 4 star feel to it. We received first class service, the staff were friendly and very flexible. We encountered a problem with a member of our party and the hotel staff went beyond the call of duty to help us and them. We can't thank them enough.
We will be back soon (providing I can get booked in!!)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The rooms are spacious so good for families with small children. Amenities like tissue paper and a common dining table for guests could have made the place more homely . As it were during the time when my party of 3 adults stayed, we had to have take away meal for 3 because the restaurant we headed for dinner was closed for a private function. When we got back to the hotel, we asked the manager if we could have our meal in the dining hall but were told to have it in our room. Although we were given the use of plates, the problem was that there was only one chair in our room and 2 of us had to stand whilst eating around a smallish dressing table where we placed the take away dishes. We thought that a hotel rated 4 1/2 stars in trip advisor would have at least let us have the use of their dining table. In fact, I saw the staff having his dinner at a proper dining table in an area accessible to guests. The garden had a table but having dinner outside would have turned our hot meals cold very quickly.

• Stayed July 2012