Rainbows Lodge
Rainbows Lodge
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed for 1 night. The site says there is limited free parking onsite but does not mention that there appears to be no alternative parking within quick walking distance if that is taken. There are a few on-street parking spaces that become unlimited after 6 but they are like gold dust.

Had a minor issue on arrival .. they had me down for the following day, but luckily had a room available which they were just in the process of selling to someone else. That would have lead to an interesting situation as I had pre-payed,
I had a room at the back of the hotel and was untroubled by noise. The room itself was clean and well appointed. The bathroom smelt a bit musty, and the bed was too big for the wall-mounted headboard and was actually 2 singles joined to make a king-size.
Great location though.

Room Tip: Room 23 is large and at the back. Not a good hotel for those with mobility issues though.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank UkSimjon

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The rooms are clean and comfortable.

Very good location.

Nice reception and good service.

But the hotel is little congested and staircases are very basic.
No lift is available.

My office was near as well as Reading railway station.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank zazee14
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The hotel is located on the busy Cavendish road halfway between the bridge and the station 5 mins walk either way. The receptionist is friendly and the rooms look basic but pleasant
...However...
The Bathroom is as basic as it's plastic decor and smelt of damp. which comes form the missing curtain rail & no safety rail in sight, make it arguably unsafe, also showers are very awkward to impossible.
As rooms are only accessible by stair, those who are not body builder will struggle.
The Management failed to reply to communication

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Hotel I
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed in Rainbow for 2 months. The stay was very comfortable, hotel staff are really very co-operative and helping. The breakfast server is really good...specially the croissant..Rooms are very comfortable and neat and clean. i really enjoyed the stay for the entire 2 months.
What i didnot like was the single room, which is really cramped and it is really suffocating in the room.

Room Tip: Go for the apartments or Double rooms...it is spacious and you feel the air around..
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shruthi G
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My work means I often stay away overnight and have stayed in all types of accommodation around the UK. Shame I didn't read the reviews on this one. Just went for the price as Premier Inn had managed to put up their room prices by £30 overnight! Not that I am a Premier Inn fan by any means but at least it is clean!
On the website the pictures are lovely, on first glance the room is OK, nice and warm.
I was tired and just wanted to relax and settle down for the evening so foolishly got into my pjs, made a cup of tea and turned the TV on.
It was then I realised I should have looked closer - the carpet was grubby and was sticky underfoot, the mattresses were well past their use by date, the curtains were falling off the tracks and the room smelled vaguely of damp old clothes (although that was not evident when first opening the door), the bedside lamp didn't work, the bath plug didn't seal the water in as it had so much limescale in the plug hole. One saving grace was that I thought to test the hairdryer before washing my hair in the morning as it didn't work! - it surprises me that the owners don't think this room and possibly their hotel need a facelift.
I have stayed in cleaner and smarter guest houses at half the price and would suggest that half the charged £65 would still possibly be too much.
I can't fault the staff as there appeared to be only one young foreign girl who was on reception and the breakfast. The less said about that the better I think - Just don't expect service or civility first thing in the morning. I was ignored and felt that anyone could walk in off the street and have breakfast and probably not even be noticed.
Good Points....Water Hot, Centrally placed in Reading

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Jean M
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 2 years ago. They have a nice ground floor room just next to the main hotel which is perfect for me as Im disabled. Room very spacious clean and comfortable.
My only negative is that the hotel has now been taken over from the old couple that previously ran it, and the nice English breakfast is now a "continental" one - but this was perfectly adequate. The lady on reception was very kind and helpful and let me in from the car park so didnt have to walk round to the front. She also helped me with a map of the area and local taxi numbers so I could get to my event in Reading. Very local to the station and town and would recommend this for all travellers.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in Room 24 both times by the Pelican Crossing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank catwoman690
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had to go to Reading in a hurry and booked this on the day - it was really the only cheap place left and I knew it was going to be a rapid bed and breakfast only - but to be honest, I wish I hadn't had to!
The good points - the place is relatively central, five minutes walk from the station and good for Caversham, where my business was. It was clean and the staff (when I found one at 4pm to register) were friendly and informal.
But - the single bedroom, up two flights - no lift - was extremely small and, under the eaves, very hot. They had imported a portable air conditioner, but it was extremely noisy, so I had to switch it off at night. That didn't mean a good night's sleep however, since traffic on the main road outside the hotel finishes late and starts early, as do the beeps of the pelican crossing just below my room.
Breakfast is advertised as 'continental' and it is barely that - poor selection of fresh fruit, coffee from a machine.
A very basic place - there is better value around!

Room Tip: Don't sleep at the front of the hotel!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo