“Fantastic Day Out”
Review of Basildon Park

Basildon Park
Ranked #1 of 88 things to do in Reading
More attraction details
Owner description: An 18th-century house, a 1950s homeThis is a story of grandeur created, dissolved and resurrected - not once, but twice.Basildon Park is an impressive Georgian mansion, surrounded by glorious parkland, which was lovingly rescued from ruin by Lord and Lady Iliffe in the mid 1950s. The house you see today is a re-creation and restoration of the 18th-century mansion. They restored the elegant interior and scoured the country salvaging 18th-century architectural fixtures and fittings. They filled their comfortable new home with fine paintings, fabrics and furniture, which can still be enjoyed by visitors today.
United Kingdom
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Fantastic Day Out”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I only visited the house as it was absolutely tipping it down with rain outside. Inside the house was a well structured tour. The volunteer was very friendly and helpful. We arrived with our pram, after being told by the man at the ticket desk the pram would be fine in the house (It really wasn't). The volunteer suggested to leave the pram in a safe place and even gave my husband a little hip thing to help carry the baby whilst we went on the tour. I found all the staff here , bar the man at the front, very helpful and friendly. The house itself has an interesting history and I loved all the collections and story behind this stately home. We'll definitely be coming back another day when the sun is out.

• Slovak first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautifully restored stately home”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Interesting house with many 1950's items. The grounds have plenty of interesting things to amuse the kids. The Tea room menu has a good choice of reasonably priced food. All the staff were helpful and friendly.

1 Thank Lucybank
Auckland Region, New Zealand
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great old stately home. The opulence of a bygone age. Lovely grounds with an area for children to play.

Visited August 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“National Trust but Staff need training”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Went to Basildon Park with my two relatives for what we thought was going to be a pleasant day out. Unfortunately the staff were most unfriendly and treated us like we were intruding. May I say the volunteer staff are not included in our findings. The National Trust uniformed staff were abrupt to the point of being quite rude. The house interesting and being basically 40's/50's style was quite different from the usual houses we have visited. It was lovely to sample the rock cakes freshly made in the kitchen. Not a lot other than the house to see so it was a quick visit. Sort the permanent staff's rudeness and it would be more welcoming and worth the visit, otherwise not recommended.

1 Thank Pentraliv
Horsham, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“rather soulless”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A lovely house in a lovely parkland setting but it failed to inspire me. Although the rooms are very grand I didn't feel the house had a lived in feeling - I was also irritated by a few of the volunteers who insisted on reeling off information each time we stopped to look at something. I do like to read the information cards and look round at leisure to get an overall impression. In fact, we hurried through a couple of rooms because of this. Enjoyed the shell room - amazing work, and the lovely 1950s kitchen. Café was great with really good food and service. Liked the stable area and learning about the gardener who lived in the cottage there. Came away from this visit feeling slightly irritated that some volunteers had tried to undermine my interest and knowledge - big and grand isn't always best. Sorry.