“Terrible Restaurant”
Review of Basildon Park

Basildon Park
Ranked #1 of 90 things to do in Reading
More attraction details
Owner description: An 18th-century house, a 1950s homeThis is a story of grandeur created, dissolved and resurrected - not once, but twice.Basildon Park is an impressive Georgian mansion, surrounded by glorious parkland, which was lovingly rescued from ruin by Lord and Lady Iliffe in the mid 1950s. The house you see today is a re-creation and restoration of the 18th-century mansion. They restored the elegant interior and scoured the country salvaging 18th-century architectural fixtures and fittings. They filled their comfortable new home with fine paintings, fabrics and furniture, which can still be enjoyed by visitors today.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had the worst meal I gave ever been presented with - the Restaurant was dirty the staff were disinterested and lazy. We ordered macaroni cheese, it was dry and covered with microwaved cheese, I refused to eat it. I will never by food or drink here again. The house was good and volunteers were very friendly (why the place got 2 stars). Do visit, but take a picnic.

2  Thank Gwkent
Andreia S, Manager at Basildon Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Basildon Park. We always take feedback as an opportunity to improve our service to our visitors. I am very sorry you were disappointed with your visit to our tearoom.

We aim to provide a high standard of customer care for all visitors at all times. We use fresh locally sourced produce and all our food is homemade, also have a daily selection of homemade cakes and biscuits. Our tearoom team does their best to maintain National Trust high standards.
I apologise for this situation affecting your visit, especially if it was on a busy half term day, and we have been making sure that the food is served to the standards.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback

Yours sincerely,

Andreia Silveira
Visitor Services Manager

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Take time to explore every facet of this fascinating estate. Every angle seems to reveal something new, nowonder Basildon Park has been used for so many film projects. Also it makes for a brilliant backdrop for a season of summer of theatre and music performances. The small courtyard setting makes for a delicious setting for a cream tea.

1  Thank BerkshireCritic
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I visited the Basildon Park whilst on a long weekend in Oxford. It was a Monday first day of the school holidays so we expected it to be packed - not so. From the moment we walked through the entrance to our visit to the house, we found the staff very welcoming, helpful and knowledgeable and obviously very passionate about the House and gardens.

We had a lovely walk around the grounds enjoying the views and the colours of autumn before visiting the house. We found the staff in the house very welcoming and enjoyed the history of each room. The house wasnt very busy so we were able to enjoy a leisurely visit.

Definitely recommend a visit when in the area.

1  Thank LAD63
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Typical National Trust Day Out - very pretty and pleasant. Lovely walks through the grounds. Outdoor theatre here with a picnic is a great experience.

1  Thank RJOBFamily
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After driving past this stately home for the last 10 years I took the time to visit. I wasn't disappointed the location and history was immaculate and staff very helpful and friendly.
Although the open house free to look around I did feel quite intimidated by the volunteers one who felt the need to follow me from room to room!!
The others were just happy to talk about the house etc..
Highlight was the 1950's kitchen and getting cookery tips!!

1  Thank 306NickiT