“A good stay”
Review of Lawn Hotel

Lawn Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Reading B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night and after looking at previous comments was apprehensive. Stayed in the Parkside next door. My room had been refurbished a while ago and there was still some work going on but it didn't disturb me and I heard no noise from it. I had a large room and was more than happy with the facilities. Don't let the old comments put you off.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We booked to stay 17 and 18 April as a couple on business, but on arrival were told they had overbooked and were directed to the hotel next door (Parkside Hotel, sleepless night here, we think the decorators were in the adjacent room working, so we complained the following morning). Morning of the 18th we were transferred back to the Lawn as we had mentioned we were checking out. Staff at the Lawn were very polite and welcoming, and we did get a very good night's sleep. The double room was on the small side, it was clean and there was an en suite shower room, but unfortunately the shower was so hot we could not use it. I did mention this to reception at breakfast time, but they said it may have been due to everyone using the bathrooms at the same time - not something I would expect a Hotel to have a problem with at 7.30am. We paid £60 for bed and breakfast, but I feel for comfort the Travel Lodge at Bracknell was better for £40, (and go without breakfast) as the cooked breakfast was a little sparse.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the Hotel, overlooking the road, but only noticed some noise from the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was given a room way up in the eaves of this very nice looking hotel. On entry to the room i nearly knocked myself out twice due to the very low and obtrusive roof trusses.

The room was very small and the bed was very uncomfortable. Shower had two temperatures, scalding hot or freezing cold. Shaving in such a confined space was very uncomfortable and without any plug in the sink making it even more unpleasureable. Reported the faulty shower and the workmen very nicely left my front door wide open for anyone in the hotel to have a look around my room. Glad I didn't leave any valuables in the room !!!

Breakfast - Only had toast but it was burnt on one side (2 Days Running !). Coffee was self service but was only replenished when the waitress was reminded it was empty. No Pre-emptive filling..

Was moved to the Sister hotel next door (Parkside hotel) Rooms are 1000% better cleaner and bigger. Insist on this hotel and not the Lawn if you intend to stay here.

Room Tip: Insist on staying in the sister hotel or not holed up in the rafters of the Lawn hotel. On the othe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank simdog635
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I recently spent two nights at this small hotel on the 11th and 12 of February. The hotel is fairly close to the centre of the town of Reading,(which is a nightmare to find on street parking, although there is plenty of pay for parking).The hotel has ample parking of its own.The room was warm clean and cozy, with all modern furniture.The new receptionist is a lovely young lady called Alexandra, who was very friendly and most helpful, and nothing was a problem to her, either at the reception or the Dining room. The breakfast we were served was served promptly by Alexandra, was very nice, was hot, and we had more than enough to eat. There was a good selection of cereals on offer. If we were in this area again we would not hesitate to use this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on a strict budget, and felt that we got good value for what we paid. Our room was to the b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

my husband and I spent 2 nights on a B/B basis, 24/26 september room was warm clean and cozy, staff very friendly and helpful
nothing was a problem to the lady on reception or in the breakfast room.
food was very nice and we had more than enough to eat, coffee was great, as were the other drinks on offer.
we will return in the next few months, but I would need a lower floor room, as there was no lift.
the lady on reception advised to visit the Parkside hotel for our evening meal,,
WOW the steak was to die for but had no music,the lounge was dull, and uninviting but the food was fab,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Checked in and checked out , dead flies on the windows , stains in the bed , wardrobe door hanging off , carpet had cigarette burns in .. Dont bother going here it's a dump, The staff were unfriendly and basically didn't care , the sister hotel is next door , and this has building works being undertaken ..

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Yampie77
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This has really got to rate as one if the worst hotels around. I arrived on Monday 16th July to stay one night. There was no one at reception so had to walk across the road to get a key, the person who gave me the key couldn't tell me where the room was e.g.floor or where breakfast was the next day.On first entering the room a terrible smell of damp hit me, the bedding was grubby and the room shabby. The bath was cracked but as there was no hot water throughout my stay I couldn't use it anyway!!! No basics that you would expect like a hairdryer (I presume they realise as there isn't no hot water you aren't going to wash your hair so don't need to provide it!). After an uncomfortable night in a grubby hard bed no one around in the morning to say where breakfast was I decided to leave and get breakfast elsewhere but alas no one there to complain to or check out. I sent an email to the owners but yes you are right in your thinking.......no response. Please take note of the bad reviews as they are correct. This is not a hotel it is a building site where the owners are cashing in and not providing a service of any description. Please stay at Bath Hotel like I did the next night for the same price where you get a great room, good breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business