“Awesome”

Elephant and Castle
Ranked #231 of 639 Restaurants in Reading
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Elephant & Castle is a charming family run pub on the edge of Hurst village, just a few miles from Reading. It is fast becoming a pub that is at the heart of village life and the warm, welcoming atmosphere reaches the neighbouring villages in Berkshire and beyond.The fireside bar is warm and welcoming with old beams, comfortable sofas and an open fire, where one can enjoy a relaxing bar meal or just sit comfortably sipping a pint of local real ale, or glass of pinot. For families we have the garden bar which is ideal for sports and a game of pool, or for the visiting family, as it leads out to the beautiful patio and decked area. There’s even a separate children’s garden!Whether it’s a light bite, special meal for two, family gathering or even just a short stop for coffee while walking the dog – The Elephant and Castle has something special to suit all tastes.Pennie is well known locally for her genuinely homemade food and she takes great pride in her homemade fare of beer- battered fish, beef & horseradish pies, sea food platters, Madras Burgers plus many more tempting offers, which are all freshly made, cooked and prepared on the premises.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very easy to find and vey acomadating went for a meal and we where looked after very well indeed. Food was excellent quality and ale was also great. Staff where very helpful and friendly. Great atmosphere and a happy place to eat and felt a part of.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was travelling a long distance to see my daughter at uni with the family dogs, and needed a doggie friendly place to go. The pub is about ten mins drive from Reading to a lovely area in the country. From the moment we walked in we were made to feel very welcome. We were introduced to the pub dog and cat and our dogs got a bit of fuss.
I took one of my daughters friends who was vegetarian, but this was not a challenge as the menu had several veggie options. The meal was good pub grub, lots of it and very well cooked. The price was competitive and the roaring log fire just completed a lovely lunch. It was very clean and very cosy. The menu was varied and my fire burger was very nice and spicy with a topping of the best bacon I've tasted for a long time.
We now have an eating spot for our visits and won't go anywhere else. Easy parking and some pleasant walks by the river nearby.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Location: Very easy to find with Sat Nav.

Food: I liked the menu. He said the choice was limited. It didn't run into 3/4 pages so I knew it was good home cooked food that we were going to get. Both agreed that what we had was excellent. Sandwiches came with chips.Sandwich was freshly made and chips were readymade thin ones, but I guess no pub makes home made chips any more - too time consuming no doubt. Absolutely loved the homemade coleslaw.

Atmosphere. As soon as you enter you realise it's a "local". The natives weren't friendly at all. However, the bar staff were welcoming.

Dogs are welcome. We saw a couple of customers bring theirs into the bar. Dogs were well behaved.

I would definitely visit again for the food. Friend would not as he wasn't keen on dogs being in the bar whilst we were eating. Each to their own I guess.

1  Thank Braids07
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is a lovely pub for good pub food, great pub gardn and friendly staff. They are very accomodating and service is excellent. Would recommend.

1  Thank Clare O
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have been going to this pub for a while now and its perfect for a family. They have a super child friendly garden, soft flooring, play equipment, enclosed which my kids love. There are no other pubs with the safe play facilities this one has in the area. They run a good simply pub menu but the food is great, and there is loads of it and its a good price. Really friendly landlord and landlady too. What a good pub should be.

1  Thank Dorisandthehoff