“Positive Experience”

The Black Boy
Ranked #30 of 621 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We’re delighted to be the new owners of The Black Boy, Shinfield. We are currently closed for an extensive refurbishment and are due to reopen on Wednesday 8th March 2017. We will be updating this our website shortly and you will be able to book a table online from mid February, so watch this space! We look forward to seeing you. Barons Pub Company
Reading, United Kingdom
“Positive Experience”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

A busy and bustling pub/restaurant on the outskirts of Reading. Choose your car parking space with car as the spaces are so tight and there is not enough distance between the rows of vehicles to swing out if your car is much bigger than a mini. Good choice of food, well presented and fairly priced. Service is friendly and seems genuinely warm. A 3 would have felt mean so it just scrapes a 4 overall.

Visited October 2013

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Baby friendly NO!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went for lunch with toddlers in tow and after spending £100 plus we were asked to leave because we were doing a rendition of row the boat when early diners were coming in! When challenged about asking us to leave total denial, terrible customer service it is certainly off my map of where to go for lunch!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank kikine3
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great for a drink wouldn't recommend food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited today for a sunday lunch, staff were fantastic however food was shocking! Where shall I start? Mains arrived over an HOUR after ordering them, the waitresses you could tell we're slightly embarrassed by this and were being overly nice every time they checked on us ensuring that the food wouldn't be long. Trying to entertain a hungry 7 year old for over an hour is hard work.
In the meantime a table that ordered after us was served their food before us! Straight away they said the food was unedible! And ordered a replacement then complained about his replacement ! So you can imagine how we felt at this point! About ten minutes after that our food arrived it was ok nothing special then had to wait for some overly steamed vegetables to come to us we was half way through our meals at this point! Wouldn't eat here again and defiantly wouldn't recommend.

• Visited September 2013
“Great food, a little pricey”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have visited this place for lunch today with my partner . Quick and efficient, really tasty fresh food. Had a warm goats cheese salad which I thoroughly enjoyed . Quite a small portion though for the £10.50 I have paid. The good thing was that it had a lot of cheese and I was pleasantly impressed as I am a big fan of cheese. Got my side order wrong but the new potatoes I didn't order proved to be the perfect side to go with my main . My partner had sea bass and he was really impressed with it. On a main busy road so a bit noisy but good atmosphere. You like a quick tasty lunch? Give it a go .

Swanley, England, United Kingdom
“30th Birthday”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Visited today (21/9/13) with wife and two step children, to celebrate the eldest's 30th birthday. Friendly bar staff made us welcome, and happy to open a tab straightaway.

The food choice is better than your average pub fayre (and, surprisingly, they don't have any steaks on the menu - apart from lamb steaks). Service was good, if a little perfunctory. Food was hot, appeared to be freshly cooked and on the large size - if you have to think about starter/main/desert and will you fit them in, then don't order a starter. I had the king prawns (lovely sauce with a nice hit of garlic), followed by duck salad, with cheesecake to finish. A word or two about the cheesecake - if in doubt, order it! I expected a bought in version, but this didn't appear to be. It was light and flavourful - definitely one to order again, and a very nice and welcome hit of raspberrys.

1 Thank Dave W