“Cheap doesn't have to equal poor but in this case it did!”

ibis Styles Reading Centre
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Cheap doesn't have to equal poor but in this case it did!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was a guys racing trip with two rooms booked.
Positives - free car park, central location and cheap.
Negatives - 1) Bar not open at 11.00pm when we returned to hotel. 2) My twin room a little run down but would have been acceptable but when I went to flush toilet - no water in cistern, and looked to have been dry for some time, moved to much nicer room (although damp on bathroom ceiling). 3) Only one hand towel and one bath towel between the two of us, rang down for more and they brought them up quite quickly but hand towel was actually bath mat! 4) Next morning tried turning TV on and no signal. 5) Friends in triple room rang us at 8.30am to say they had turned on shower and water was brown, they let it run for a long time (until it filled bath) and it was still discoloured!!
Time to go - we all dressed and had checked out by 9.00am, I think its fair to say we didn't expect a lot but certainly expected functional services.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading. I will look into your comments and get back to you. Please send me your contact details so i can come back to you.

Stuart Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel last minute for a business trip, my company usually use the Majestic but it was fully booked due to a big football match being on In reading. Was quite worried about what the hotel would be like when no one had heard of it.
Reception has been recently refurbished and was clam looking. When we checked in we were told that we had been upgraded to a suite! Only down side of the hotel is the stairs needed a lift carting my laptop and case up two flights of stairs. When I got to the suite I was very happy the room was decorated lovely, clean and very big. We had our even meal in the restaurant the Indian and my work colleague loved the Lamb rogan josh and said it was the best one she'd ever tasted. Breakfast in the morning was lovely though I didn't do the full english.
All in all was very happy and if I go back to reading will definetly be using again

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Welshy1985
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading and that you enjoyed the foon in the Royal Tandoori.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Having made the simple mistake of booking the wrong day on out company booking system 1 day out (choosing the day i was booking rather than the next day), I was appalled that the quality hotel would not refund the previous day booked late st night so too late to apply a cancellation policy to...even though I turned up to day the next day...inhospitable and rubbish!

There is a curry house down stairs...seated at 21.30 order taken at 21.55...10 minutes on...still waiting for the poppadums!!

This is crap!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Shoodybong
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and i will look into your comments feel free to contact me on stuart@georgehotelreading.com to discuss further.

Stuart Hall

Travelers are raving about these Reading hotels

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had to book at the last minute after a meeting in London. The staff were really helpful as I struggled with a bad mobile signal on the train. The hotel is 5 minutes from the station. Recent refurbishment of lobby made me feel welcome. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and there was already an iron and ironing board saving me the bother of having to ask for one.
The Royal Tandoori restaurant is attached to the hotel and is one of the best Indian restaurants I have been to. Breakfast in the morning was good and the service was thoughtful and low key. All told, this hotel is excellent value and right in the heart of Readinjg close to The Oracle and train station. I understand they also have parking. I'll be back, as I visit Reading on business frequently.

Room Tip: With such good value, go for a double.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words. They are much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights with work and that was enough. When I walked in to the hotel the reception area it has been recently refurbished and is very welcoming however don't let this lead you into a false sense of security. When I entered the room it was dated, smelt of curry, had light bulbs out, marks on carpet and walls and noisy from kitchen extractors (despite ringing prior to arrival for a quiet room). The bathroom again was dated and dirty with mould in the tile grout. To be fair the shower was very powerful however you either had it cold or hot, there was no middle ground. The restaurant at the hotel is an Indian and this was extremely nice food and would recommend it and was a reasonable price! I didn't eat here everyday as 4 nights of Indian is a bit too much but I could also dine in the George hotel around the corner with my company allowance. Breakfast was okay, nothing special however I wouldn't pay £9.50 for it! All in all if I had a choice I would not stay here! And I am going to tell my company not to use this hotel again as it doesn't give what it says on the tin, quality! The only 1 good thing is that the staff were friendly but that wouldn't make me return any time soon.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I am sorry that on this occasion you were dissapointed with your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating your comments.
Please feel free to call me on 01189 583455 to discuss further

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for! Cheap hotel needs a refurb but if you only want to stay for one night then its fine! Rooms small and need updating, breakfast ok for the price you pay! Basic accommodation but can't expect anymore for the price!

• Stayed March 2013
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments and was pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

For £40 on a saturday night it was good value. Nice double room, although corridors everywhere. I had a problem with my shower and someone was up within minutes to fix it. Breakfast was also nice. Would go back

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. i was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading and look forward to seeing you again in the future.