“A bit outdated but adequate”

ibis Styles Reading Centre
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed February 11, 2013

There is nothing much to say about this place really, there is nothing that stands out as particularly good but nothing stands out as particularly awful either. I went mid week so it didn't seem too busy or noisy, though not sure how the old building would do at busy times. In most respects it look and feels like an update is due. Certainly only a means to an end, not suitable for couples, for example.

Positives: Staff were all quite pleasant though service wasn't outstanding. Rooms were quite clean and comfortable. Basic business meeting facilities were up to scratch.

Negatives: The set evening menu for our large group pre-booking was limited to indian cuisine, some of the group were feeling slightly ill following breakfast one day (breakfast may not have been an issue but was the only common link), upkeep of rooms could do with a looking at- particularly bathrooms (slightly moulding of sealant, some places where it could be replaced)...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback and have noted your comments. Regarding the Indian Dinner menu this was chosen by the conference organisers and i believe was a popular choice.

Please feel free to contact me on 01189 583455 should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

A rabbit warren of an old hotel in the middle of town.

Pro's:
Very pleasant, helpful and efficient staff.
Prompt cooked breakfast included from 07.00 (good for catching the train)
Clean
Warm
Reasonable price
Restaurant (Indian I believe) on site, but also very short walk to a riverside area with restaurants so a big choice of eating places to suit all pockets and tastes
Free parking (if you can find a space)
About a 5 minute easy walk through town to the train station
Good hot shower

Cons:
Old hotel building so inevitably the floorboards creak, add relatively thin walls and I was able to hear the nocturnal trips, presumably to the loo, of my neighbour.
Small cramped car park, made worse by poor parking by a couple of guests and the presence of 3 large rubbish bins taking up a parking space. We were lucky and got the last space.

Overall.
A perfectly serviceable option for a short stay in Reading. Their constraints are due to the age of the building and the limited parking space available; they have made good use of what they have within those constraints. We used it as a base for a trip to London to a meeting, and were able to park the car there free during the stay, which was a real plus. Not a bad option at all if you are planning to travel in and out of London via the train and I would use it again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. i am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Be careful ! If you try to read the recommandations on internet, you can see : it's a very good hotel ! All is perfect, but perhaps because I book my room by voyages SNCF .com

But I will never recommand this hotel to my best friends!!!...

I have had a little room little with a bathroom with a shower wich doesn't work well, noisy because over the ventilation of the kitchen

My room was an old one. The hotel is on renovation. When I ask to change, I ask to the receptionist, the bad I have evr had in an hotel. .Very unpleasant .She doesn't listen to you....

She doesn't try to find a solution...

The clearing was not done properly!

I wIll never come back

The only advantage is that the hotel is in the towncenter

Thierry JAVELLE

Room Tip: Ask renovated room or go in other hotel
1  Thank Jajathy

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading and i am sorry that you were disapointed with your room.
Please feel free to contact me on 01189583455 should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My company booked me in here for a one night stay while I was in the area on business. When I read the recent reviews on TripAdvisor I was unimpressed. To be fair though, it was not as bad as I expected.

On arrival, I managed to squeeze in to the last available place in the [small] car park, though I understand there is an overflow car park nearby.

The newly-refurbished Reception area is bright and clean and check in was swift and painless.

My room was on the first floor and I had only an overnight bag, so the lack of a lift was not a problem for me - but is something to be aware of.

The room was better than expected, clean, warm, with a wall-mounted flat screen TV, comfortable double bed and tea/coffee making facilities.

The hotel is ideally located for Reading's Oracle Shopping Centre, which has the standard major stores such as Debenhams, Boots, House of Fraser, etc as well as some small independents. There is also a Vue cinema with 7+ screens and numerous restaurants adjacent. This was literally a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel restaurant (The Royal Tandoori) serves Indian food - very good Indian food in fact, which explains why it was busy with both hotel guests and locals midweek. The room service menu does have some non-Indian options but my chicken with fresh ginger and coriander was excellent, and reasonably priced.

Things went downhill a bit the next morning: the position of the bathroom lighting meant that shaving had to be done in one's own shadow as the mirror was not separately lit, and while the steaming hot water may be excellent for those who want to soak in the bath it is less ideal when trying to adjust the temperature of the shower to somewhere between tepid and scalding. Once in the shower, the temperature continued to fluctuate quite widely between cold and far too hot - presumably as other hotel guests turned taps on and off. The water was hot enough to pose a danger to children or those less adept at leaping out of the way!

When I emerged from what had (for safety's sake) turned into a tepid shower, it was apparent that the radiators in both bedroom and bathroom were not giving out any heat. Given that last night's snow was still lying on the ground, this was poor. Others have commented that the heating only operates at certain times. If I book a hotel room, I book it for 24 (ish) hours, so I expect the facilities to be available throughout. To have no heating in a bedroom in January is unacceptable.

Maybe this lack of heating put me in a bad mood for breakfast, but the overall high standard of both the service and the cooked and cold buffet offerings was spoiled by having to make my own tea, in a small cup, with hot water very grudgingly dispensed by the coffee machine. Is a teapot, and some boiling water too much to expect nowadays?

Room Tip: There's no lift in this hotel, so bear that in mind and perhaps ask for a room on the first floo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ray P
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Quality Hotel Reading. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments regarding heating and hot water and breakfast , which we are addressing.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed for 1 night here as had an event to attend to in town.Fantastic value for money,considering you get breakfast and parking!
Its an old hotel,but our room was superb,bed very comfy flat screen tv,full length mirror and tea/coffe making facilities.
The girl at reception has lovely customer service and was very helpful.
I would recommend to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your kind words, They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted that you enjoyed your visit at The Quality Hotel Reading and i look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here on business November 2012. I will keep it brief and to the point.

LOCATION 10 /10

ROOM 06 / 10

CLEANLINESS 09 /10

DECOR 06 / 10

STAFF 09 /10

RESTAURANT 08 / 10

The restaurant serves only Indian food but the food was really good and was packed not just by hotel guests but walkin customers as well.
If Indian food is not your thing then about one minute walk around the corner is a traditional hotel where you can eat and still charge to your room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really do value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Quality Hotel Reading in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

How many hotels can you book for £55 for the night with breakfast incuded? I know I haven't found any. We booked because we had an engagement party and it was close to the bar, so simply needed somewhere to put our head down for the night. The room was cosy and SPOTLESS. The decor was quite "snazzy", but the shower was great and had iron, hairdryer, kettle etc in the room. The water almost gave us third degree burns so if you have children beware. It is over an Indian Restaurant so the hotel does smell of curry quite strongly, but it didn't effect our stay (and I like curry). Customer service was EXCELLENT there and he gave us a free permit for the car park a few seconds walk away (their own car park has limited spaces). I've stayed in hotels around the world and travel often with work. You can't pay £55 for a room and expect the world, but it was worth the money. Bed was a tad firm so didn't sleep brilliantly but for one night we didn't care. The breakfast was great and service impeccable. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic stay, but I would stay again for an inexpensive and pleasant experience!

Room Tip: 112, a clean and pleasant room
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Quality Hotel in Reading and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.