ibis Styles Reading Centre
$94
$89
$100
Ibis Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
$57
pentahotels Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
$73
Hilton Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
$118
$99
  • Pool
Beech House Hotel(Reading)(Great Value!)
$83
$120
$112
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading(Reading)(Great Value!)
$89
Novotel Reading Centre(Reading)(Great Value!)
$100
$93
  • Pool
$93
$42
All reviewshotel is centrally locatedbudget hotelgreat central locationfull englishan overnight staytown centrebreakfast was excellent
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Recent reviews have got this hotel nailed. Unhelpful service, poky room & en-suite,smell in the bathroom, the corridors scruffy, and very expensive at a very discounted £80. It was clean and the breakfast not bad.. The 'bar' is situated in the Indian restaurant next door.

Room Tip: avoid any floor above first floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kelley-Cranham
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your feedback i have made a note of your comments which i will look into

Regards

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here with a my 7 month pregnant girlfriend and a group of friends . Location could not be better for a day of shopping, car parking was limited, but had an overflow car park next door . We had room 103, it was poorly lit and felt very dark, the decor was grubby,scuffed and marked. The bed was ridicilous,the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept in. at 2am we tried getting a room change as it was like sleeping on a floor, the constant tapping from the pipes under the floor didn't help either . Reception was helpful and offered us another room but after looking at it and discovered the bed was the same as the one we already had we decided to perceivere with the room we had as we would gain nothing by changing to a new room but same rock hard bed. Some of our friends however loved there rooms , room 106 looked fantastic! The bathroom was huge, the room very modern and great in decor. Breakfast was good, cereals, pastries , fresh fruit, cooked breakfast all for self service, the spread looked good . The only way we would ever stay here again is if we were to request room 106 as it was the absolute opposite to what our room was!

• Stayed: October 2012
StuartReading, General Manager at ibis Styles Reading Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for your feedback we will look into this. Feel free to contact me on stuart@georgehotelreading.com to discuss further.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I found that the personnel was friendly and efficient, but the entire hotel is run-down and not too clean. It could be a nice location again with LOTS of investment! It was quiet except for bedroom doors that bang shut and a loud restaurant fan in the inner court.
Breakfast was the highlight, a good British breakfast included and lots of variety on the buffet.

Room Tip: No elevator, so with heavy luggage, try getting 1st floor accommodation. However, until they renovate, I would not suggest staying at this hotel, even if the staff is efficient.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience at The Quality Hotel Reading,i was pleased to read that you found the staff helpfull and enjoyed breakfast.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Quality Hotel Reading for 2 nights, after being recommended the hotel via an organisation I was training with. For £45 a night, I wasn't expecting much, but was quite anxious about checking in after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor.

On arrival, I was given my key (as other have noted, an actual key, not a keycard as is common in most hotels these days). I was asked for my credit card to pre-authorise spending, which I declined to do. I was repeatedly asked for this, with the receptionist requesting authorisation smaller amounts before eventually accepting I did not wish to pre-authorise any spend.

The location of the hotel is very good - a short walk to the train station, and just round the corner from the Oracle shopping centre, so very convenient for tourists and those arriving to Reading by train.

I was allocated room 210, on the second floor. As the hotel has no lift, was pleased to not be on the forth floor! My room was on first impression fairly clean, although very small (this was a single room, so again, expectations were not too high in this respect). From other reviews, I think I must have had a recently refurbished room, as the carpet had no stains and was in good condition, and modern wallpaper on the wall. However, on closer inspection, behind the radiator appeared to have not seen a duster for several months, and there were 2 dead insects on the wall which wasn't very pleasant.

Tea and coffee making facilities were provided (in the drawers if you can't find them!). However, the kettle didn't appear to have been used in some time, and when I filled it the limescale on the filament came off into the water, so needed rinsing a few times to get clean water for my drink.

The bathroom was fairly clean again, although the overflow holes in the sink were extremely dirty and looked as though they had never been cleaned. I was also surprised to see what appeared to be an earth wire for the towel rail running across the floor surface (although the wire itself was not exposed - covered in green wire casing). The plastic casing designed to hide the wires for the extractor fan had come loose, and was hanging from the wall above the bath, although there didn't appear to be any danger of them falling further. I must stress this is a cosmetic complaint rather than a safety complaint - there was no indication of wires being exposed, merely the casing not affixed to the wall where is was supposed to be.

A large TV was in the room on the desk with Freeview channels, which was nice.

I paid £4.99 a day for internet use. Please be aware that internet is wired and not wifi at this hotel, so will not be suitable for tablet users. However, done the job for my laptop to allow me to get some work done in the evening.

My room was not facing the road, however, the window in my room was only single glazed. I think there was some kind of extractor fan coming out close to my room as there was a fair degree of noise outside the widow (I would compare the noise to a plane going over your house but at reasonable height). Luckily I sleep fairly well, so wasn't a huge problem for me.

Unlike other reviewers, I did not smell curry anywhere in the hotel except the restaurant itself, and was not as strong as I thought it would be.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant. Cold options were served bu8ffet style, and included fruit, mini croissants and pastries, and cereal. I did not try the English breakfast, although was offered this on my second morning.

My only real problem with the hotel was the heating situation. The radiators appear to be for decoration only. When queried with reception, I was advised the radiators are on at certain times of day although staff couldn't tell me when this was...they definitely weren't on before 9.30am or after 5pm! On my second night, I requested a fan heater or additional blankets, and was provided with an oil radiator, which did the job. This is obviously an issue for the hotel, as I noticed fan heaters in public areas too.

Overall, the hotel was acceptable given I was only there for a short period of time, and hadn't paid much for the room. However, if I had paid the rack rate of £89, I would have been tad irked. Wit the benefit of hindsight, I would probably have gone for the Premier Inn down the road (about 10 min walk).

Room Tip: If you have mobility probolems, this hotel may not be suitable for you, as all bedrooms are up at least one flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Quality Hotel Reading. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments,which we are addressing.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

the hotel is a shambles of a few buildings put together. Through a maze of narrow hallways, you will have to find your way. No elevator present for the elderly or disabled. We asked for an extra bed and they put a camping stretcher, totally worn-out, so my daughter barely hit the floor when lying onto this (and she certainly is not overweighted ....) . Toilet was broke, shower did hardly workb because there was no water pressure on the third floor. I asked for complete reimbursement in view of all these embarrassing details, but they only offered a minor refund. Staff not friendly. Don't go here. There are other good alternatives in Reading.

Room Tip: do not go here, stay away.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

i am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at The Quality Hotel Reading. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness. Please feel free to contact me at stuart@georgehotelreading.com to discuss further.