“Nearly but not quite...”
Review of The Abbot Cook

The Abbot Cook
Ranked #148 of 630 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Reading pub with a relaxing vibe. Regulars say The Abbot Cook has 'the best beer garden in Reading', but that's not entirely true; it has two. With a line-up of entertainment as eclectic as its top-drawer drinks list, there's also plenty going on inside this Cemetery Junction pub. Don't get us wrong, though: we're more 'gently buzzing' than rowdy and raucous. Our eclectic interior lends itself to a relaxed chilled out drink after work as well as a dining experience to celebrate those special occasions.
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Went for Saturday lunch at the AC. Atmosphere is really nice- good range of drinks, nice indoor and outdoor seating. Mix of students and prpfessionals

Waited about 40 minutes for the food so lucky we were not in a rush! Menu was very good, nice range of british dishes. Feels like its trying to be posh but not! Might be better just tryin to be good British grub!!

I had the free range sausages with misted mash and red wine gravy also came with a couple of onion rings which were very tasty!! Gravy was a bit too rich, literally tasted like bisto with red wine added. Nether the less very edible- nice sized dish.

My partner had the salmon fish cakes, said thy were delicious but quite small and came with a mountain of potato wedges and a tint but of coleslaw. Has a side of max and cheese which was very overcooked. These two dishes with drinks cost £30 so given the price I probably would go back but would not be screeming from the rooftops about eating here.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We've been here a couple of times - the range of beers on tap and in bottles is impressive, ranging from British beers to continental. We've always enjoyed the fixed price menu which is great value for money and we also had the pork sliders from the bar menu which are pulled pork and bbq sauce in bread rolls. Delicious. The starter of white bait was nice and crispy although not a full crispy coating. Think the tartare sauce might have been homemade - very nice anyway. Onion rings were lovely but a little greasy. The steak and chips were cooked to our order.

Of particular note is how friendly and helpful the staff are. An example is that while waiting to order drinks in between courses, the lady who served me took my order and then encouraged me to sit down while she brought it over. They bring sauces with cheerful good humour and even seem to care about whether you enjoyed your meal. One recommended the pork sliders and how right she was.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We are so lucky to have this as our local! The food is very reasonable and really good. The atmosphere ranges from pleasant to lively (depending on how busy it is) and it offers lots of thoughtful extras such as a supply of board games or for those eating alone...books!
I have been many times - for romatic meals with my lovely husband, with friends, for the quiz night, for live music, for live comedy and even for a works drink and the quality is consistently high.

The drinks prices are on the high side but it does have an excellent range of beers and wines (including a particularly delicious and therefore lethal rasberry beer!) so you are paying for quality. One thing I particularly like is the large size of the diet pepsi - pubs often charge more for the little bottles than they charge for a pint here.

The beer garden is small but very pleasant hidden away from the road and well heated.

1  Thank Sez157
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had our Sunday lunch here while visiting my daughter in Reading. Service was very quick and food was well worth the price. And I would like to say the gravy was especially tasty. Staff were friendly and chatty.

1  Thank dizzy1968
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just finished (my second) lunch order after returning what i can only describe as an appalling steak sandwich. Chewy to the point of rubberized. On the up side, nice atmos, decent drinks and friendly bar staff who swiftly dealt with the problem. Hopefully the 'chef' might heed the lesson and improve the offering. Oh, burger was fine.