“Bland Food, Pressure Selling On Drinks.” 2 of 5 bubbles

China Palace
Ranked #237 of 610 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canutells
“Bland Food, Pressure Selling On Drinks.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We decided on the buffet menue and the starter were fine but after that everything went down hill. The sweet & sour pork were like bullets, hard and nasty. every other dish was bland and tastless. The prawns were slimmey, not pleasent to eat. To make things worse the staff constantly tried to top our drinks up or tried to snatched half full bottles away from our table, this was not attentive service but blatent pressure selling to make us drink more and pay more. We like good food in a relaxing atmosphere so wont be back. If this is like food in China like other reviews state, well I wont be visiting there soon. Yuk.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chepasbar

“Yet again excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We have been going to this restaurant for years as a family ! Birthdays and special occasions ! You only need to look in the window and see that it is packed with Chinese families to know it must be good! Staff great food great downstairs (not had dim sum upstairs)! Loads of choice on all you can eat menu and the main menu is excellent ! Love the pork dumplings !!!

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“A taste of China”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was very impressed with this restaurant, the food is good authentic Chinese food, very similar to what I've had in Beijing. It's also very reasonably priced, a lunchtime set menu cost around £20 for two people including drinks.

I wouldn't say the food is high-end Chinese food, but it's good enough and light years away from the sugary mess that I've had from many British 'Chinese' Takeaways. The service was good, atmosphere was great (it was packed) and the food was all delicious.

My only complaint, would be the portion of rice I got with my set lunch was too big for one person. I certainty wouldn't call that a big problem, but as a Yorkshire boy I hate leaving food on my plate.

I'd recommend this place to anyone wanting a taste of real Chinese food in Reading. It was easy to forget that I was still in the UK and not back in Beijing.

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Come for the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

And not the service.... I do not mean that in a bad way at all. Ignore the comments about the service and come for the dim sum on the weekend which is better than many places in London. Also the crispy noodles with seafood. Good Cantonese stalwart dishes which we regularly come back for. Better than Kei's we think.

• Visited July 2012
Wales
“Chinese wedding banquet to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

The banquet was held upstairs and there were at least 10 courses - all authentic and delicious, especially the seafood dishes. Excellent service. We had the best time - thank you.

Visited August 2012