“Birthday dinner”

Island Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #400 of 620 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Bar, European, British
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated on an island and accessed from the historic Caversham Bridge, the spectacular newly built Island Bar and Restaurant enjoys uninterrupted views of the River Thames.Floor-to-ceiling windows run the length and the sides of the restaurant and the bar and offer a beautiful view of the river. In fine weather the folding windows are opened and both the bar and the restaurant extends out onto the extensive terraces.The modern, relaxed and comfortable ambience creates the perfect settings for both business and pleasure.Creative Cuisine combined with exceptional service will give you the ultimate dining experience.
London, United Kingdom
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Without doubt the worse restaurant I have ever visited. What a shame as the setting is lovely but don't be fooled. Chicken Caesar salad had a creepy crawly in it, risotto was cooked to a sludge, no bread offered, no salt and pepper
Avoid at all costs

2 Thank furzey_foody

“Excellent”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Me and my partner came here on a Friday night and I could not say one word about the restaurant. The service was great the waiter was so friendly. The food was delicious and was well worth the money
money. All of the staff catered to all of our needs. Will defently be going back here in a hurry.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank georginaaak
Berkshire
“Great Location, could be amazing”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Came here for a large private party and hired the upstairs. The area was not cornered off at all and a couple of randoms came in. Considering it was mass catering, the food was good and there was a choice of 4 dishes for each main. The staff were friendly and the DJ was good. Surprised at how quite it was downstairs when it was such a lovely evening and has such a good location. It definitely has potential but looks a little run down - for instance the decking needs painting.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank mrsbenn
Caversham, null, United Kingdom
“Don't bother going here”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'm sorry to say this as the location is so amazing but the service is terrible here, the food is also awful! It is a great location for a cocktail in the sun but you have to be willing to wait a while to be served and for you drinks to come, I think it was 30-45 minutes wait last time I went....

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Natalie G
Reading
“Horrendous service!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We visited the Island bar last Saturday for a gathering with 12 friends. When we arrived we were the only customers in there. The bar staff looked clueless as I asked where our reserved table was. We had the misfortune of ordering food. First of all the Manger had the audacity to argue back about the amount of avocado in the salad. He told us to “look for it” hidden under some lettuce we found it, all 2 small pieces of sorry looking avocado. Reluctantly he assured us he would get some more and never returned with it. Then it took 45 minutes to bring out a bowl of chips. The customer service was the worse I have had to endure ever. With a large party of us and enjoying the location we were reluctant to leave straight away, so kept spending money and tried to ignore the fact no one was clearing away any of the empty glasses.

When I asked if I could give the manger feedback upon paying the bill he wouldn’t give me eye contact or stop what he was doing. He said it’s not his fault if 4 members of staff didn’t turn up. His attitude was disgusting and simply shrugged and said sorry with a lack of sincerity. He then challenged me why we had stayed for such a long time if I was unhappy. Unfortunately on a hot summer’s day and 12 of us (including one heavily pregnant woman) there aren’t so many riverside options available at short notice! Rather than taking my feedback on board he was extremely confrontational and rude.

After receiving such poor hygiene standards recently we had hoped they would have looked how they can improve the overall customer experience. Unfortunately not and with the stunning location I presume they don’t feel they have to offer basic customer service. We won’t be back and when I told the manager that he said “good!”

• Visited June 2014