“YOUR TYPICAL PREMIER INN”

Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booking was easy, quick and efficient. The hotel, however is not easy to get from the major access of the M4, unless you are familiar with the area, it does however have plenty of free parking space. From the outside it is has a modern look and feel to it, with the Toby Carvery very close by.

The Reception was quick and easy with most internal facilities explained, including their ‘good night’s sleep guarantee’. The internal ambiance of the entrance matches the outsides modern approach and looks.

The Room, on the 3rd floor was furthest from the reception end faced out over the Toby Carvery extraction fan system and their rubbish bin area – I wonder if this had something to do with the window being locked shut (the question was not really answered by those on reception). The room itself was a good size, very clean, warm and had a decent shower – though the use of this did steam up the ‘locked’ window. I was not overly disturbed by the noise from the Carvery bin area – however this may become a concern on warmer days/nights as there is no air conditioning only heating in the room.

Wi-Fi is free for the first half hour – after that there is a charge of £3 per day. Why they cannot be free and included in the overall price, as with most chains these days, I still cannot comprehend. It also has to be said that during this stay it had a tendency for the connection to drop out every few minutes.

Breakfast starts at 6:30 am, ideal for those on business needing to get sorted and out early. It is on site within the actual Inn and ‘full English’ was cooked to order. The food is good and there is a good variety of help yourself choices with eggs and porridge to order. As with most such hotel chains no one was able to answer the questions on local sourced though.

Recommendation – yes I would use it again as it met my business needs. Again, this is one of those places that “does what it says on the tin”. However I would be very unlikely to use it if my visit had been for private/personal reasons.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WWTravellerKent
PI_Caversham, Reception Team at Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback in your review of our hotel. I found it to be very informative and I think your review will be useful for future guests. We value your oppinion and we're glad to hear you would stay with us again.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here with my wife, who was on a 2 day training course at the Green Park business Park (about 12 mins away in 9am and 4pm traffic) I worked from the hotel room on my laptop.

The location of this Premier Inn is great, you have The Oracle Shopping centre and lots more shops around it a few minutes one way, a Tesco Extra a few minutes the other but your situated next to a large quiet park. There is a Toby Carvery next door which is a typical bar and carvery, good prices but nothing gourmet, otherwise you would have to walk or drive to find other shops etc. The breakfasts at this Premier Inn were excellent, do realize that its limited to continental, full English style and cereals, but for what they offer, its really good, and the Premiercooked breakfast is all you can eat, the service at breakfast times was also flawless. Coffee machine at breakfast (Costa) made a REALLY nice Latte,!

Reception staff were fast, polite and helpfull, the place was spotless barring some limescale stains in the loo in the room (streaks where bleach/cleaner had done its job and left the bits in between).

The shower in the room was the only bad thing, it was either hot, or too hot, I was in a rush and so I simply turned the hot tap in the sink on to offset. However I did comment on this on leaving as it did need fixing.

Mobile signal was excellent (EE) I did not try the wifi as my mobile offers Tethering and I have a good allowance for data usage, so i simple hooked my laptop up via this and sat in my comfy room to work.

No fridge in the room, just a small 1ltr kettle and minimal sachets of coffee etc. I took coffee, tea, sugar and UHT milk.

I will return to this Premier inn, BUT I will take my own pillows, they pride themselves on the sleep part, even offering two options of pillow, but even combined they were not as thick as the memory foam one im used to. Some people say there were only 1 pillow, when we stayed there were 1 per person on the bed with a leaflet on one saying there was an alternative harder one in wardrobe, so two each, but they are real thin. The pillow, combined with no aircon (not unusual for uk) and 2 warm nights is why i did not sleep particularly well. I did sleep enough to feel I had slept as it was very quiet, but woke very stiff and achy.

Mattress was hard if you jump on it and sank in a little when you lay on it, so I presume it was totally or part memory foam.

Quilt was very thin, quite heavy, maybe feather but i dint sneeze so not sure, it was much warmer then it looks though, but no sheet so if its too warm, you cant go sheet only.

I have really bad allergies (dust, cleaning products, cats etc) and didnt require an anti-histamine for the stay, which is a great sign.

Only Imperial Leather shower/hair was and Carex foam hand wash, so if you have sensitive skin, specific hair needs etc, take your own

Hairdryer and hangers in wardrobe, nothing else.

Showers only! no baths

1 bath towel per person, and 1 hand towel and floor towel per room

Toilet rool is in a dispenser like the soap and shower gel, so unable to tell if there was enough, didn't run out in two nights though.

Basic electric heater and a window that didn't open wide, so not easy to regulate heat if its very warm or cold.

No pool, no bar, no fitness centre/gym, but park behind, pub next door so thats 2/3 covered in one way or another.

SUMMARY
pillows are very thin (take own)
take extra drink consumables if you intend staying more than a few hours at night in the hotel.
Take your own toiletries, soap etc unless your not bothered about generic.
Be honest and ask for what you like for the Premier Breakfast (cooked), its totally customizable so dont hold back.
Shower only
No fridge
Park at TheOracle for shopping (5 mins drive, 15mins walk?) and be sure to wander around outside for another mall and lots more shops. Particularly the lovely Riverside (thames) where alot of the food and drink is available indoor or alfresco.
It was £100 per night (business account) but this included £8.25 breakfast x2 so expensive if your not on an expenses paid business trip.

Room Tip: We had a park facing room and it was very quiet, but its a pretty busy road so not sure how quiet a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback in your brilliant review of our hotel. I found it to be very informative and I think your review will be useful for future guests. We're very happy you had a pleasant stay.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed here for a family party, having booked 4 rooms in the hotel. Two of our rooms smelt very odd, almost like someone had been in the room chain smoking. It smelt of old stale cigarette smoke, and this had got into all the bedding, shower curtain and towels. The shower curtains were stained with brown marks, which I would hate to even guess what these marks were, and to top it all off our toilet in the bathroom didn't flush. As mentioned in a previous review, there was a lack of pillows that weekend. We requested extra pillows as we were 3 persons sharing a room only to be told they had ran out ..... this was really not satisfactory. We were not offered breakfast on arrival or told what time the breakfast started and finished, so out of principle we went next door to the Toby Carvery. I was very disappointed with our stay, as we have stayed in many Premier Inns and they have always been great. I have written a letter of complaint to the Premier Inn Head Office, but they have not had the courtesy to reply hence my review.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank butterflysam05
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here again as its ideal location for us as its easy to commute to and from Reading uni,as before rooms are clean and basic staff as always helpful and polite, easy to find it has a shared car park with Toby Inn .Breakfast cooked to order and is ok would stay here again you can't beat it for the price really. If you book ask for a river view room as its away from the busy main road.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arlene&Co

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We value your oppinion and appreiciate the positive feedback. We're also pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

1 pillow per person and pillows are very thin. 2" thick. no spare pillows in hotel resulted in me using towels that were provided in the room as a pillow. id recommend taking your own just incase they still dont have any spare

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very sorry to hear about the not so great experience you had here with us. This is not the level of service to be expected of Premier Inn hotels.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were up for a family party which was being held next door. The staff were incredibly helpful and allowed us to check into one of the two rooms we had booked 2 hours early. The room was spotless. We were also impressed by the amount of sockets and lighting levels. We opted for the 'as much as you can eat breakfast'. The staff were very attentive and the cooked order was maybe a little slow in coming but.... had obviously been cooked to order so we did not mind at all. We would certainly recommend this hotel and, would certainly not hesitate in staying again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel with such positive feedback. We are thrilled that you had a wonderful stay here at Caversham Bridge.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Easy parking, friendly staff, clean room, view of Thames and a good breakfast all resulted in a pleasant stay of 3 nights for my partner Angela and myself.
There is a handy place 50 metres away for an evening meal at a reasonable price.
It appears to be a new hotel with well trained staff who are anxious to please at all times.

Room Tip: good view of the Thames from some rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate the positive feedback and we're also pleased you had a super stay here with us. We hope to see you again.