“Slight disappointment”

Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times after rugby games, very convenient and reasonably priced for B & B.

We arrived this time early because of the snow and was able to check in straight away which was handy as it was so cold outside. The areas outside the hotel had been cleared of most of the snow and well gritted even the car parks. The game went ahead as scheduled thanks to all the hard work of the ground staff who ensured all areas were safe for players and spectators.

We had a couple of little issues this time with the room which we have not experienced before. The water pressure in the shower was very poor and the water was only tepid, quick showers in the morning was the order of the day.

Breakfast has always been great here and something we always look forward to, however, this time there was no hot buffet only cooked to order. Our hot food was delivered to us before we had finished our cereals/fruit,. There was no apology nor an offer to take away and bring back later.The bacon was so over cooked we couldn't cut it and the beans were stone cold. We can only assume as so many guests had cancelled due to the bad weather it was easier to do this way.

Hopefully when we return in March it will be back to the usual standards.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear you had a few little issues here at the Millennium Madejski Hotel in January.
The Hotel was not aware of any low water pressure, but we thank you for letting us know. If you can contact the Hotel to advise which room number you were in and we can look into this for you and any future guests.

Thank you also for your Breakfast comments these have been passed to the Food & Beverage Manager and he will address these with his team to ensure these do not happen again.

We thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed midweek on a business trip and found the service o be really good. Swift check in and a good sized and very clean room. The room had free wifi which is still rare these days and a fridge with a couple of bottles of water. Bathroom was clean and good towels. My one complaint is that he room has a refrigerant leak alarm which goes off if it detects the gas escaping from the fridge or from your deodorant. There is a small warning sign but I didn't see it on time and managed to set it off using my deodorant in the bathroom so make sure you keep the bathroom door closed at all times! I. Don't think I was alone as I heard it a couple of times in he mornings.

Breakfast is really good and has a wide choice of hot and cold foods.

This is a good business hotel especially for green park and the nearby towns on the M4.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jez13
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased you had a good stay at our Hotel.

The Refrigerant alarms in the bedrooms are there for our guests’ safety, and as they are constantly checking for particles they will detect other particles in the air, for example deodorant and hair spray. The alarm will go off until the particles have dispersed, we apologise for any inconvenience caused, but we must have these in the rooms for our guests well being.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Millennium Madejski Hotel in Reading.

The hotel is on the side of the Madejski Stadium and has ample parking, even on Match days.

The hotel is excellent, the staff are attentive and very professional. The bars are good, a little pricey but not excessive for a hotel. The bed was perfect and the facilities were top class.

It is not too far from Reading Town Centre, there is a park & ride on site or a taxi is about £10 - £15. It is also just of junction 11 of the M4.

My only moan would be the price of the breakfasts, £25 for 2, although added to the reasonable price for the hotel and comparing the quality, as a package it's still cheaper than a B&B deal at most quality hotels. Having said this, if you want to save but fancy a breakfast there are a few local options:

The World Turned Upside Down Pub on Basingstoke Rd (Crown Carvery) serving eat all you want full breakfasts for £3.99 from 9am to 11am every day or if you need something earlier then Morrison's cafe opens from 7am Mon - Sat and 9.30 Sundays and has a huge range of breakfasts including full English for £4.35 or there is a McDonald's near by that opens 24hrs.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review.

We are very happy to hear you found the Hotel excellent and that our staff are attentive and very professional.

The Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading are very proud of the quality of service and the range of products we provide.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Whilst our booking was for a double we got a twin. That said, the rooms were comfortable and clean. Best towels I've ever seen in a hotel...they were huge! The best thing though was the breakfast - Devine.

Downsides ... Parking not ideal and if there was a football match I'd think it would be extremely noisy and busy.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are very proud of our Breakfast selection on offer to guests and we are pleased you found the Breakfast to be divine.

Car parking is guaranteed for guests staying in the Hotel and we have over 2000 spaces on offer for the Hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope you welcome back to the Hotel very soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

For Location, the Hotel is adjoined onto Madesjki Staidum, (Reading AFC), very close to the M4 Junction, and is the ideal Hotel for Reading Business Park & 5 mins walking distance to Green Park . Bu Services 50/50e/52 provide direct fast services from Reading Old Bus Station & St Mary Butts(the heart of reading) stops, within 15 mins ~ £1.50GBP. Off Peak, services are around 20 mins, the 30 mins 7-9pm'ish, but do check. Be aware of staying during match days of the hightened noise & traffic volumes..at possible hghtened security
At a Winter Discounted rate of £51 GBP over the standard £81 GBP, the quality of this Hotels is bargain!
Rooms are typical Business Class, TV i service by a 'keyboard' designed to enhance the entertainment range presumably, but difficult to navigate & feels antiquated user experience
Shower are also typical of a Business Class, 'very good' to 'excellent'
Breakfast @ £12 GBP (discounted) isn't my price bracket but seemed to be popular & well serviced. As is..it;s a very quiet area (outside events) and fats food outlets is less than 5 mins walk

..........................................................

We allways rate after a revisit, & challenge staff where standards are lacking

Room Tip: Bus Services don't run 3 hours prior to Kick-Offs at Reading AFC Home Games.checki Reading AFC f...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hotel I

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear you found the Hotel a bargain and the locality of the Hotel of benefit to yourself.

We do hope to welcome you to the Hotel again very soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night, after attending a company meeting at the Reading Conference Centre next door. I have to say I was very impressed with the professionalism of the staff in this hotel, in the main. The only downside was The Cafe restaurant staff.

On arrival, even though it was 0930, the concierge offered to take my bags and have them taken up to my room once it was allocated. As it turned out, a room became available, so it was allocated to me. Even so, they still took my bags up for me.

The bar is not bad. Only keg beer and lagers, and wine at an eye-watering £9.00 for a 250ml glass. Plenty of seating. My room was on the second floor and a very generous size. Double bed, although the mattress could have done with replacing as it had a very noticeable dip (canyon?) on one side. Usual computer desk with good quality free WiFi, and small occasional table should you have had a room service dinner.

The Cafe restaurant had been booked for us to have a dinner on a set menu basis. I have Type 2 diabetes, and to my knowledge, my employers passed this on to the hotel. Nonetheless, when I asked for an alternative to the Chocolate Marquise pudding, I was told there was none. When I pointed out that I had diabetes, and there was no way I was going to eat that much sugar, the waitress grudgingly said that she would see what she could do. Eventually, a plate of fuit with fruit sorbet appeared. Clearly, the 'sugar' aspect has missed them completely, because as nice as the sorbet was, it was loaded with sugar. I might have put it down to confusion over a set menu, if it was not for a pet 'peeve' of mine: I sat down for breakfast at a table for two. Despite the fact that they could see I had a newspaper, I had to ask for the extra cover to be removed. Now I appreciate the staff have to reset the table afterwards, but does it really take that much longer to lay two covers than one? Also, in the interests of making space, I said I did not need the milk jug, but the waitress said she had to leave it there.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, the rooms are excellent, and the shower works beautifully. The visit was spoiled only by the experience of The Cafe restaurant.

Room Tip: Club rooms are 3rd floor upwards, but 2nd floor is not bad.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear you were impressed by the Hotel and our Concierge team.

Our Atrium bar provides a wide range of Draft & Bottled Beers, Lagers and Ciders & a vast range of Spirits and liqueurs. It also serves wine from just £5.25 for 125ml glass or from £7.25 for a 250ml glass insuring all our clients get a wide choice.

We are happy to accommodate all dietary requirements and unfortunately on this occasion we were not made aware in advance of your needs. However as soon as this was brought to our attention we will accommodate the request in a timely manner.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 14 yr old daughter. We combined it with a football match. We were pleasantly surprised to be given a superior corner family room which was amazing, floor to ceiling windows stretching right round the room and a state of the art bathroom area, very trendy. The room was one of the best we have stayed in anywhere and great value for money. We have stayed here before and had a standard family room which was lovely but this was something special, we are already planning our next visit.
The only disappointment was the food in Le Cafe in the evening, very over priced and sub standard. Staff were lovely but we would not eat in there again. Breakfast was one of the best buffet breakfasts we have had, lots of choice and plenty of it.
A lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

We are pleased you had a lovely stay and we were able on this occasion to provide one of our upgraded Corner Family rooms. We are also happy to hear you and your family enjoyed our extensive Breakfast Buffet.

The Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading hopes to welcome you back very soon.