“Not sure they cope with food allergies”

Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night, after attending a company meeting at the Reading Conference Centre next door. I have to say I was very impressed with the professionalism of the staff in this hotel, in the main. The only downside was The Cafe restaurant staff.

On arrival, even though it was 0930, the concierge offered to take my bags and have them taken up to my room once it was allocated. As it turned out, a room became available, so it was allocated to me. Even so, they still took my bags up for me.

The bar is not bad. Only keg beer and lagers, and wine at an eye-watering £9.00 for a 250ml glass. Plenty of seating. My room was on the second floor and a very generous size. Double bed, although the mattress could have done with replacing as it had a very noticeable dip (canyon?) on one side. Usual computer desk with good quality free WiFi, and small occasional table should you have had a room service dinner.

The Cafe restaurant had been booked for us to have a dinner on a set menu basis. I have Type 2 diabetes, and to my knowledge, my employers passed this on to the hotel. Nonetheless, when I asked for an alternative to the Chocolate Marquise pudding, I was told there was none. When I pointed out that I had diabetes, and there was no way I was going to eat that much sugar, the waitress grudgingly said that she would see what she could do. Eventually, a plate of fuit with fruit sorbet appeared. Clearly, the 'sugar' aspect has missed them completely, because as nice as the sorbet was, it was loaded with sugar. I might have put it down to confusion over a set menu, if it was not for a pet 'peeve' of mine: I sat down for breakfast at a table for two. Despite the fact that they could see I had a newspaper, I had to ask for the extra cover to be removed. Now I appreciate the staff have to reset the table afterwards, but does it really take that much longer to lay two covers than one? Also, in the interests of making space, I said I did not need the milk jug, but the waitress said she had to leave it there.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, the rooms are excellent, and the shower works beautifully. The visit was spoiled only by the experience of The Cafe restaurant.

Room Tip: Club rooms are 3rd floor upwards, but 2nd floor is not bad.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear you were impressed by the Hotel and our Concierge team.

Our Atrium bar provides a wide range of Draft & Bottled Beers, Lagers and Ciders & a vast range of Spirits and liqueurs. It also serves wine from just £5.25 for 125ml glass or from £7.25 for a 250ml glass insuring all our clients get a wide choice.

We are happy to accommodate all dietary requirements and unfortunately on this occasion we were not made aware in advance of your needs. However as soon as this was brought to our attention we will accommodate the request in a timely manner.

There are newer reviews for Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 14 yr old daughter. We combined it with a football match. We were pleasantly surprised to be given a superior corner family room which was amazing, floor to ceiling windows stretching right round the room and a state of the art bathroom area, very trendy. The room was one of the best we have stayed in anywhere and great value for money. We have stayed here before and had a standard family room which was lovely but this was something special, we are already planning our next visit.
The only disappointment was the food in Le Cafe in the evening, very over priced and sub standard. Staff were lovely but we would not eat in there again. Breakfast was one of the best buffet breakfasts we have had, lots of choice and plenty of it.
A lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your Trip Advisor Review.

We are pleased you had a lovely stay and we were able on this occasion to provide one of our upgraded Corner Family rooms. We are also happy to hear you and your family enjoyed our extensive Breakfast Buffet.

The Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading hopes to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed her on a Saturday night when there was a football match (which is what we wanted!). The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable, and the staff helpful and courteous. Despite the very crowded bar they did everything they could to help a fairly large group. I guess if you were not there because of the football you might find the experience annoying and noisy, but we enjoyed all aspects of our stay.

Room Tip: Try to be on second floor or above when there is a match.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your Review.

We are pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay and that you found our staff very courteous.

Match Days can become very busy here at the Hotel in our Food & Beverage departments & we are proud of our staff and the quality of service they provide at all times.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel again very soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked this to coincide with a football game. When I went to my room it looked very classy and spacious. After that it went downhill. If I had slept in the football stadium during the match it couldn't have been worse than the room I was given. If I wasn't woken up by the noise coming from the bar below (it wasn't boisterious just normal bar atmosphere) it was the annoying drone of a generator or something similar in the corridor outside or the staff preparing for the next day. I had a burger and chips for nearly £20 which must have been the type you microwave in a box - one half of the bun was hard the other soft. Needless to say I skipped my pre-paid breakfast. The receptionist at check-out didn't ask anything in relation to the stay. Why start the day at the wrong end of a guest's unhappiness.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ray_cormick

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations on this stay. Should you wish to discuss your review with the Hotel please do contact me and I will be happy to look into this for you.

Kind regards
Suzanne

Reviewed December 12, 2012

The rooms in this hotel are larger than most, we'll decorated an clean. Check in was efficient and friendly. There is a good choice of drinks at the bar and incredibly friendly waiters. Restaurant is a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the hotel, quality of the food was not great.

There is free wi-fi throughout!

A good selection at Breakfast, but I'm used to cooking my own toast nowadays so not having to wait 5 minutes for a waiter to bring 2 slices of cold toast in a toast rack out to me every day.

In each room there is also some kind of detector on the wall as well as the usual smoke alarm on the ceiling - the flashing red light all week on the wall one really made me uncomfortable in the room although the man from reception had a look and said there was nothing to worry about (a flashing red light can never be good surely)

Top tip - ask for a couple of car park tokens when you check in as you WILL forget to get some when you want to get out of the overflow car park!

Room Tip: Decide if you want a view of the car park or internal space.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RawCarrot

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review.

We are pleased to hear you had a good few days in our Hotel. We are proud of our staff and the quality of service they provide and we are pleased you found them efficient and friendly.

The Hotel and Stadium complex provides complimentary WiFi throughout.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

First given a room overlooking the lobby, no external window. Felt like people cold see in, although realised later it's mirror glass. Switched at reception without any bother for a much nicer room looking out of the front with window that opens. Good bed and quiet room. Dinner in the cafe restaurant was a bit expensive for what it is and fairly slow service (although friendly), most people seemed to be going for a buffet rather than waiting to order from the menu. Breakfast was fine and the bar is spacious and comfortable. There's a 'park and ride' shuttle bus to Reading Station just outside, or it's a £10 taxi into town.

Room Tip: Ask for external facing room unless you really like watching people in the bar through mirror glass!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JBLALondon

Thank you for your review.

Here at the Madejski Hotel Reading we have Internal and External facing bedrooms. All bedrooms have Natural daylight and the Internal rooms have blacked out windows for Guests privacy.

The Park & Ride bus leaves every 7-8 minutes and the cost is £1.70 per person single journey.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night and found the hotel excellent. We were given adjoining rooms with inter connectivity which made our stay more enjoyable. The interiors of the rooms were well done, the quality of all items in the rooms were really good. Special word for the staff - Speedy checkin, check out and smiling faces.

The only downside is the location. Its in the middle of nowhere, so stay only if you have a business in neighborhood. .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
MadejskiHotel, Manager at Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed a comfortable stay at the Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading. We are very proud of the quality and service of our staff at the Hotel and we are very happy to hear you found our staff courteous during your stay.

We do hope to welcome you to the Hotel again in the near future.