“Best Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed for one night with a coach trip Oct 6 2012. Both Mum and I would like to say a big thank you to the staff. The rooms were excellent, clean and well equipped. The food was fantastic, buffet evening meal and buffet breakfast, couldn't wish for a better place to stay. First time at a Holiday Inn and will certainly not be the last. Always opt for staying at one of the other highly advertised places but never again, hope all are like this one.
Brilliant

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your positive and encouraging feedback, and would like to assure you that I have shared this with my team with thanks.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on the 13th October 2012 for one night.This Hotel is near to junction 11 of the M4 and lays in a not very attractive setting. Checking-in was efficient and cheerful and our room 122 on the ground floor a short distance from the Gym/Swimming pool complex. The room was small and the window looked out onto a garden so was private. I would have also said quiet had it not been for the wedding party and the sound of voices carrying along the corridor. The room appeared clean and tidy, but the bathroom was very tired with mould in the pointing and the bath sealent split.
The biggest problem in staying at Holiday Inns at the wekend to take advantage of their specially offers is that the extras come at the prices that they achieve from the Business guests that bother less about these things. WIFI forget it, or pay the silly rates that Business pay here, Food forget it -but there is an excellent Fish n'Chip shop opposite or go to the nearby Wetherspoons pub and get a full sunday lunch for less that the price of breakfast in the Hotel - and they has free WIFI.
We stayed here to break out journey home, having landed in Gatwick from the USA a couple of hours earlier. So dispite the wedding guests we did manage some sleep, but the value of this is close.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any functions on when you book.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spock_10
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very sorry to learn of the problems that you experienced, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies.

Please be assured that I will be sharing your feedback with the relevant employees and departments concerned. Customer comments are very important to us as we strive to improve the service we offer guests in all hotels in the InterContinental Group.

Regarding your comments about the extras, I can assure you that we are very competitive compared to other hotels in the local area.

Thank you again, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Should you wish to discuss any matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me via reading@ihg.com.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

When you check in at a Holiday Inn you have a fairly good idea what you will get: the normal average non-offensive generic experience which neither thrills or upsets by any measure.

So... when checking into Holiday Inn South Reading (a town which is literally the 'Holiday Inn of towns') I expected this to be a flag ship Holiday Inn, a beacon of generic-ness and the panacea of non-placeness.

However I didn't find what I was expecting. In fact I struggled to find the hotel at all (seeing as its in a generic business park type area within a post code area the size of a small town). Then when I arrived at probably one of the most depressing car park building combinations I have ever seen in my life I had to walk what felt like 10 miles of repetitive corridor until I arrived at the door of my hotel room. The next is a list of observations in the order of there occurrence in my head during my stay:

1.This hotel room is smaller than normal
2. This bed seems small
3. ...and hard
4. This bathroom is small
5. Why is there a pubic hair stuck to the back of the bathroom door?
6. This shower is literally dribbling on me
7. Ah but they have a nice HD TV
8. How has that not been stolen yet?
9. I wonder what's outside this window....
10. that car park seems to stretch to the horizon.

That is basically my review of this hotel. I wouldn't recommend coming here, and if its not too late don't go to Reading either! Sorry Reading.

Oh yeh and I would never ever pay £14.95 for a breakfast. Even if i didn't know it would be average and lacking bacon.

Room Tip: Ask how many miles of walking will be required.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelHero85
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I was sorry to learn of the problems that you experienced, and I would very much like to discuss your comments with you personally. I would be grateful if you could email your name and contact details to reading@ihg.com.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very average Holiday Inn i'm afraid, and I've been in Holiday Inn Express hotels with more character and better atmosphere.
Although i'm a platinum card holder this wasn't in any way recognised at check in or check out - no upgrade.
Surrounding area leaves a lot to be desired and if you arrive late in a car then expect to park right at the rear of the car park and either walk for 5 mins around the dark hotel to the reception or stand at the back door for 5 minutes waiting on someone coming to let you in.

Not impressed i'm afraid!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

As the General Manager of the hotel, I would like to thank you for highlighting areas that you felt could be improved, and I would like to assure you that action will be taken.

Our Priority Club Guests are very important to us, and we do provide upgrades where rooms are available. I am sorry that this was not possible during your stay.

Once again, may I thank you for your feedback, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights on business, first of all I will review the area, its in an area called Whitley Wood, not the greatest of places after a quick google of Whitley Wood problems, but when we arrived we were greeted with the site of gypsies/travellers, call them what you will, camped outside on the verge, who in the evening, lit a bonfire, drank alcohol and generally got noisier as the evening progressd.

One evening, we were sat in the bar (10th Oct) when one of the gypsie teenagers came in with her daughter I assume, in a witches outfit and started begging "we is going to Turkey tomorrow mister so she will miss Halloween, got any treats or money" we just laughed and then the manager came along and asked them to leave.

So that then prompted us to all drive in our own cars each day to the office, as we had concerns that our cars would still be there, or in one piece when we returned.

The hotel food was not great, the cooked breakfast was insipid, and evening food was over-priced for what you received (prawn balti in a small bowl and about 5 prawns in it)

The rooms were dated, they have in the majority 2 single beds which are the narrowest single beds ive ever seen.

I cannot really think of any redeeming features of this hotel.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room, is to stay at the new Holiday Inn at the Winnersh Triangle, which i...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

My apologies for your experience, and I would like to assure you that we are dealing with the situation.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel on some future occasion.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our rugby team was playing the local, London Irish, team at the Madejski Stadium and we decided to make a weekend of it staying at this hotel which is only 15 minutes walk away.
We checked in on the Friday evening and the reception staff were excellent and made sure we had a quiet room. The room was good although the twin beds were narrow - probably for the use of children as there was a connecting door to the next room.
The restaurant staff were pleasant and helpful. The menu was varied and the food was very good. This hotel is near to Legoland and offers free accommodation and meals for children so it was somewhat overrun with them and a bit noisy, however, quiet corners could be found.
There was a good choice of bar snacks available but on the Saturday lunch time, when there was a match on at the Madejski Stadium, there was only one waitress serving the food and she was stretched to the limit.
We forgot a toothbrush and complimentary one was supplied immediately. There was no fridge in the room, but they were happy to supply a bucket of ice when we wanted one.
Overall, it was a good experience. The staff appeared to be genuinely friendly and wanted to make sure that everything was to our satisfaction and that we had a good stay. We were comfortable and felt very much at ease despite the large number of small children. We will certainly go there again and would recommend it to anyone who wants somewhere comfortable to stay when visiting the Madejski Stadium.

Room Tip: The quieter rooms are on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HIReadingSouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Reading – South M4, Jct.11.

As the General Manager of the Hotel, I was very pleased to learn of your experiences, and was especially proud to read your comments about our friendly and helpful team. We are always genuinely determined to ensure that all of our guests find everything to be to their satisfaction.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back on some future occasion.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We spent a Saturday night at the hotel. The staff were very helpful, efficient and showed a duty to care. The room was clean and nothing to complain about. We had lunch from the lounge bar - certainly room for improvement in taste and presentation; on paper the menu looks good. Having said that one would certainly not starve. Requesting food for under two-year olds may be tricky. We asked for over-cooked pasta but still came in al dente despite a second attempt by the chef; it was very odd that our very clear instructions were not understood.
For an overnight stay, no qualms in recommending this hotel. Our thanks to the catering staff (Antonio, Glenda, Jyothi and Jessica) for really taking good care of us in the many small requests we made!

Room Tip: The real estate occupied by the rooms is fairly large. It covers the ground and first floors. There...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It was very pleasing to read that you found our staff to be so helpful and efficient. I have shared your review with the employees mentioned with thanks. Customer feedback is so important to inform our team that they continue to do a wonderful job.

Thank you also for your comments regarding your experience in the Restaurant. Please be assured that I will be discussing this issues raised with by Restaurant Manager and Head Chef so that action can be taken.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to being of service to you again.

Paul Twomey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Hilton Reading
Ibis Reading Centre
Ibis Reading Centre
#11 of 31 in Reading
Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10

Been to Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11? Share your experiences!