“Fair Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Risca, United Kingdom
“Fair Hotel”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have stayed in the Pentahotel Reading a couple of times through my work. They have very comfortable rooms with large beds and excellent en-suites. There is a & flat screen TV in each room along with kettle tea & coffee. The towels are large which is very nice after using the power shower. The gym is quite well equipped and has towels, water cooler & TV's. Food is to a reasonable standard but a little expen

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road as it is noisy all night.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thanks ever so much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. We do have some great value dishes on our menu and from time to time some great promotions so please do look out for these next time you’re with us.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We have never stayed in a Pentahotel before so wasn't sure what to expect but it certainly exceeded our expectations.
The reception is shared with the bar and check in was smooth.We had booked a Penta plus room and were given a £5 voucher to use which is a nice touch .
We stayed in room 314 which overlooks the main road however noise was not an issue.
The room was of good proportions ,the bed was huge and comfortable.Lots of plug sockets and I was really pleased to find one near the full length mirror..That's a major plus !The bathroom had a heavenly shower and nice toiletries provided.These were replenished on our second day.Bathrobes and slippers were provided .
Breakfast was included which was plentiful with lots of choices .
A slight issue at the bar was handled well by the duty manager but what impressed me most was the general manager seeking us out at checkout to discuss it . I felt my concern had been actioned and resolved well .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alikavner
Thank you very much for your review and welcome to penta! I am delighted that you love what we do. Thanks for your understanding with the slight challenge we had. I was really pleased I could meet with you regarding this and glad this demonstrated our commitment to exemplary customer service. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My companies corporate travel agency booked this hotel because we have had great success with this hotel with both clients and business employees. The service is excellent, the food was world class. (I recommend the Steaks and the Hawaiian Pizza). The rooms were very stylish and functional. They thought of everything from the soft ambient lights to the tea pot. The beds were extremely comfortable and I think helped with my Jet lag. The Lobby was very beautiful and was refreshing to see after a very long day at work. The staff was very professional and maintained positive attitude, even with all the heavy morning traffic at the front desk. The bar was great. I met many new friends there. I must say hello to the beautiful Carmen who checked me in and check me out after a nearly 3 week stay. I have never been treated so wonderfully. - R. Young

Room Tip: Let Carmen choose.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you so much for your glowing review! I am delighted to hear we have looked after you so well and you love what we do. Your feedback has also been passed onto a very pleased Carmen! Looking forward to seeing you again for more great stuff. Thank you.
Lancaster, UK
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

This is a very unusual hotel. When you walk in reception is shared with the bar and your lighting at reception is complimented by the sparkle of glitter balls!

The room was big, the decor was bold blocky colourful shapes. The bed was enormous but had two duvet covers. The shower was excellent.

However there were lots of things I didn't like.
The room overlooking the main road was a little noisy.
There was no iron in the room and it had to be requested from reception.
Despite myself and a colleague prevooking breakfast on the hotel's website they had lost this information at check in.
Breakfast is a busy affair and the staff are overwhelmed. They do run short of items but the food is good (although a surprisingly small meat selection for a German hotel.
The lifts are incredibly slow (2-3 minutes at least most times) and the stairs are much further away - normally my preferred option.
Wifi is provided for free but you need to log in ever 30 mins. If you want a continuous connection the cost is £10 for a day.
The evening restaurant menu options are very limited, more just simple bar food. Not good for a long stay. And the in room menu is really short.

So interesting to stay here, and it is quite a pleasant hotel but too many niggles for me.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed review. We do indeed dare to be different but I am sorry that not all the elements of what we do quite worked for you. We will certainly review your constructive feedback and take appropriate action where necessary. I hope you get chance to stay with us again. We will iron out the things that didn’t work for you, for which you have my apologies, and you never know, you might grow to love all the cool things that make up pentahotel Reading.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I ended up booked into this hotel because my usual business trip one was fully booked. I'm actually really glad I had the opportunity to stay here. Immediately on walking in there is a great laid back atmosphere about the hotel. Check in was speedy and friendly and my room was clean and comfortable. There were a couple of things that let it down, however. No iron! this was meant to be one of the pentaplus rooms so I would've expected one (it would've been handier than the robe and slippers) and also I was disappointed in the lack of a face cloth. Besides those two niggly points the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Both breakfast and dinner were great - our waitress for dinner was lovely, even offering to let us have a small taste of a few wines to see which we preferred and again the atmosphere within the dining room was great, nice soft music and lighting.

In summary - great public areas in this hotel with a great atmosphere but maybe just a couple of improvements in the room offering would have made it perfect.

1 Thank Desertia
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you had the chance to stay with us and enjoyed your time here. Thank you for the constructive feedback on the points you would have changed. We will certainly look into these. Thank you again and hope to see you again soon!
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed here on a few occasions now, superb hotel and great location for central Reading, only a short walk away from train station and town centre and also easy enough to drive into as well. Friendly and helpful staff who go out of their way. Rooms are a good size and comfortable. Will continue to use when in Reading.

1 Thank Pz23
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Many thanks for your great review. I am delighted you like what we do! Which only leaves me to say, we look forward to seeing you next time!
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My partner and I got a double room for £59, pretty cheap for a 4 stars in Central Reading during the weekend. The hotel is about 10min walk from the station, easy to find. I really liked the bar area (we had nice cocktails later that day), subdued atmosphere, nice music and beautiful fires. Perfect for a date and would also be very relaxing after a long day at work. The room was quite small but it's mainly because, as a few people commented here, the double bed is HUGE! It's even bigger than a super king size! We slept very well. (we didn't get lost :-)The room was clean, warm and the small bathroom had everything (although our room was with a shower and it was difficult not to put water everywhere! Not sure if a curtain was missing??) We ordered some pizzas in the evening (really lovely) and watch one of the 10 free movies available. This hotel can let you check-out at 3pm on Sundays free of charge (if availability) which was great for us. The only thing I didn't like too much in the room was the lights; a little bit too strong for me. Overall a nice central hotel with very competitive rates, nice rooms and staff. We would be happy to go back.

Room Tip: Our room was facing a large roof and opposite offices. Maybe not the most beautiful view but it was...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MademoiselleB
Thanks very much for your lovely review. Great to see you enjoyed your stay and felt you had real value for money too. Just picking up on a couple of your points, our luxurious rainforest showers are designed to work without a shower curtain but we’d always be happy to supply you with more towels etc if that helps, so please just ask. Also, if you’d prefer the light from a lamp or two in your room, just let us know and we’ll arrange this for you. It’s brilliant you’d be happy to come back to us, so see you when you do!