“Modern, cheap... A real surprise”
Review of pentahotel Reading

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Modern, cheap... A real surprise”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stating one night with work and arrived late. Staff were very friendly and helpful, I requested an ironing board from the room and it arrived within 10 minutes.
Lobby is very impressive but a little on the chilly side.
Room is lovely, well presented and modern, very clean. My bed was huge, and the free toiletries funky.
Good nights sleep except the traffic noise from about 630, take ear plugs of you're a light sleeper.
I really enjoyed the stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your review. Glad your stay overall was positive but something’s for us to have looked into. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again.
James Gardiner – Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 13, 2013

They must have money to burn on energy in this hotel. Not sure what was going on, but my colleagues and myself each had extraordinarily hot bedrooms on a cool October evening. There is a temperature control button on the bedroom wall but reception confirmed that the system does not cool, only blows air around. Even the water in the bathroom tap came out warm, most unpleasant for washing teeth, and I could not get the shower below a hot setting.

I had to ring reception at 1am and ask for a desk fan, and I asked the porter to open the window - he was not sure how it worked as there are no instructions in the room. Eventually he barged it open - should you decide to stay here, note that there is a central pivot top and bottom. The restrictor stops it opening very wide. It was not just the bedrooms though, the public toilets on the ground floor were like saunas, and the seminar rooms were also very very warm although the aircon worked in those areas. I did mention all of this to the duty manager, and heard other people complaining similarly.

The dining area gets curtained off for functions, and since there was a corporate karaoke event on when we were there we decided not to try the small area that was left over for other diners right next to the "entertainment". The chinese 2 mins down the road (turn right out of reception) is exceptional by the way.

If they could sort out the temperatures it would probably be a pleasant place to stay, I have scored it "Poor" because the main aim of my hotel stays for work is to get a decent night's sleep before doing a job for clients and I did not get anything like that here. On the positive side, it was clean, staff are pleasant, and the bed was on the hard side of soft which I prefer. Good TV and movie selection. Full marks for the hotel breakfast, a very good selection indeed with friendly staff. Best part of the stay!

Room Tip: One side of the hotel gives onto the street so you could get road and student noise, the other faces...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ph_Reading, Manager at pentahotel Reading, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry to hear that you were not comfortable during your stay with us. Your feedback is certainly something I am reviewing as a priority with our property engineering team to ensure that we are not only conserving our energy, but most importantly, our guests are comfortable and able to enjoy every moment of their time with us. Despite this point I am pleased that you really liked lots of aspects about our Hotel, as this is what we’re all about. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again in the future and am sure we will be able to provide a comfortable environment here for you when you do. Thanks again for your feedback.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Driving up to this place, you'd expect another bog-standard budget-type hotel, everything adequate, but very, very average. Walking in the doors though, this place feels a whole lot smarter - it has the feel of a 4* hotel, very smart in the lobby, and very modern. The rooms were great too - clean, modern, more than just the bare minimum.

The beds were pretty comfortable - and overall I had a better than expected night's sleep.

I don't know if I'll be going to Reading again, but if I have to, I'll stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again.
cheshire
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed for a night recently to attend the university open day with my daughter.

I requested a quiet room as had read that other people had found the front of the hotel noisy!

Beds very comfortable, so much so we had no trouble falling asleep, which I often do on the first night in a strange place. The shower was a good size, with plenty of hot water and excellent products provided.

We preordered breakfast when we checked in, which meant we got a discounted price. Yes,you can get cheaper food at the local coffee shops but there was an excellent variety, especially if like me you like fresh fruit and pastries.

Felt it was good value for money for its location.

Parked in the Q car park which means you get a discount. £10 for 24 hours which I felt was ok especially as I would have had to park the car somewhere in the area anyway.

Can walk out quite easily to shops and places to eat and if my daughter does choose Reading uni I would look to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your very complimentary review! I am delighted that you both had a great stay with us. I very much hope that Reading University is the number one choice so we see you again soon for another great time! Thank you again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We only stayed here for one night, and the overall decor of the hotel is very different to any average hotel. The lobby is great with a massive pool table and loads of chill-out lounges. The rooms are styled pretty funky too. Overall stay is 3.5 stars- it was not terrible at all, the toiletries are funky and the bathroom is nice too, the size of the rooms are decent and beds are comfy. The location is good because it is close to all the shops in Reading centre. However, it's bordering the dodgy part of town so I felt a little uneasy walking back to the hotel at times.

Pretty clean rooms, except that the windowsill was sticky as someone probably spilt something there and it had not been cleaned. In addition, the kettle and coffee is stored away in a box, and not what you would expect from this hotel as it feels a little unclean. Internet is "free" but it's the slow internet, (doesn't really work at all) and you have to pay for normal speed internet. There is no parking at the hotel which is a downside because you have to park around the corner in a multi-level storey car park and pay about 14 a day.

Another negative is that we had requested a late check-out by 1 hour which was confirmed the day we arrived- but on the day as I was getting ready to check out (30mins before late checkout) I received a call from reception asking if we wanted to stay another night, when I said no, the lady said "You have stayed 30mins over normal check-out and we are fully booked so you must leave right now!" I explained to her we had late check-out and she was asking many questions about who we had spoken to that confirmed it. In the end, I could not be bothered to argue any longer so I told her I was on my way out either way!

If you are staying in Reading and need a convenient place to stay then Penta won't let you down, it seems to be much better than the Travelodge across the road!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ants_oz
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry there were a few challenges with your stay which I am now happy to say have been addressed. Hope to see you again.
wiltshire
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to find there was no parking so we parked in the Qpark multi story carpark and carried our bags over. we checked in at what looked and felt like a bar. the hotel itself has a dark night clubby feel to it. the lady checked us in and sent us to our room.
the room was bright, clean and modern with a huge bed however on the bed was 2 single duvet covers rather than one bigger one.
we slept fine and although I have read other review which talk about noise we did not experience this.
At 8.30 am we were woken up by house keeping wanting to clean the room although check out was not until 12. On checkout I mentioned this to the girl who said "did you have your do not disturb sign up?" which we did not as we didn't expect to get woken up at 8.30 am.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Emma. Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry there was an issue during your stay which I can now say has been addressed. I am glad there were lots of positive points too. Look forward to seeing you again.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I booked cause it was by the station- but it isn't. In fact it's on the edge of town right before it gets dodgy. There is a really good chinese restaurant next door though.
Inside it's quite nice. I found service helpful. The decor is very Euro-hip via IKEA. The bar was pretty hopping at night- if I had wanted to find a man, that would have been the place to do it. My room was perfectly quiet.
Also, the toiletries were really nice!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. We are only a few minutes walk from the station so let us give you the best directions next time you’re with us. Glad you liked lot’s of other things about us and look forward to seeing you again.