“Amazing customer service”

pentahotel Reading
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“Amazing customer service”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We booked for a 3 night stay as we were visiting my partners family and attending a party, we were travelling down by car from Scotland. We left scotland at 4 in the morning as we have an 8 week old baby and were being prepared for if we had to stop alot, but in the contrary we only had to stop once which meant we were arriving in reading at about 11.30, we phoned the hotel at 10.30 to ask what is the earliest we could check in as we were arriving sooner than expected the receptionist on the phone was really helpful and told us we could check in as soon as we arrived as she would instruct housekeeping to get the cot in the room for our baby, when we arrived at 11.25 we checked in straight away which only took 2 minutes we were right up to our room which was located ideally and was very quiet at night (I had requested a quiet room after reading other reviews)

The only gripe I have about the hotel is the parking, you have to park in q park but to make the most of the discount you have to leave your car in there for over 10 hours. When driving past the hotel on one of the bypasses i noticed they have an underground parking lot, they should open it up to guests instead of loading for lorries.

The room was clean, tidy and the staff were all very accommodating

I would definitely return to the hotel when we go back down if I can get it for the same price I did, £88.50 for 3 nights through booking.com

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Tess1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here as a mid stop for Ascot races after reading some of the reviews i was abit apprehensive but i dont know why at all checking in and out no problem very pleasent staff very helpful we stopped on the fifth floor no problems lifts x2 quick and easily accessible rooms superb very modern everything you could need beds very comfortable designer toiletries bathroom very nice. No loud noises like other people had said Breakfast was unreal the choice was endless brilliant all in all a fab stay and will stay here again without a doubt

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip and I'm due to stay again in a week or so.
I was in a group of 4 and only 1 of the party had a decent nights sleep as the rest of us had a room by the ring road. The air con was worse than useless and appears to have been so for some time according to comments on here. The road noise was so bad, one may as well slept outside! One of my colleagues asked for a move to a quieter room. the receptionist lied and said the only quiet rooms were on the 6th (smoking) floor.
All that said, the rooms are very spacious with comfortable beds and lovely bathrooms. Crisp white linen and soft pillows. Lovely toiletries and fluffy white towels all made for a very comfortable stay.
I thought the bar drinks were reasonably priced considering it's a hotel. Cocktails are mostly £7.
I felt the decor was rather pretentious but that's just my opinion, others may like it.
The hotel runs on minimal staff. The breakfast is buffet service with barely anyone around. One of my colleagues asked for an omelette on the first morning to be told she couldn't have one. After speaking to the manager a couple of days later, it transpired that she could have one but the restaurant staff didn't know. How could they not know? it's their job after all.
The hotel is really on the wrong side of the town centre. the next door neighbour is Argos which says a lot. We saw a large number of homeless types, some of whom were hassling hotel guests for money whilst they were having a cigarette outside the hotel.
I'm already booked here for another stay and have mixed feelings. I wouldn't like to be staying here alone due to the locality of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
1 Thank Leedslass01
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I travel sometimes with work and used to like staying at the penta.... this stay was particularly bad.

Arrived at the hotel at 10:30pm after a long day in the office. Something seemed wrong at check in when staff kept checking pieces of paper and a manager had to be called. Following a LONG wait for my room I was given a key and told I was on floor 6. Only to arrive in an asthmatics hell of a whole floor devoted to smoking. the Air con didn't work and the bed rocked, the room was really old and tired for £120 per night! What happened to my pre-booked non smoking room?? Despite quickly phoning back downstairs, apparently the hotel was full and I couldn't be moved this night and I would be moved the next day. By morning my chest was wheezing and I stank. Great first night stay.

The second night was not as bad, the room I was moved to was much nicer.

Checkout - Seriously bad computer system if it took the average of 10 mins per guest to check out. I was unfortunately stuck in a queue and it took me 45 minutes to check out with no apologies about the previous night from the reception.

Stay here if you want antiquated smoke smelling rooms with terrible check in and out times and no apologies!!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

If you looking for Malmasion style but at a more affordable price this is for you! What a great location and cool accommodation for a romantic and slick weekend. I travel all over Europe and I feel this hotel has very good facilities, quality restaurant, and a real urban cool feel! Yep, one of the lifts didn't work, the east European staff can't smile and the car park is a 5 minute walk but overall to be in the centre of a major town with excellent accommodation I'd highly recommend it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel was suggested to me because it was in close proximity to a meeting. This hotel is awful. First I called the hotel to tell them I was arriving in the morning after flying from the US all night. They said they would accommodate me with a room in the morning. I arrived at 8:45 and got a room at 11am. Yes it was still the morning but I didn't want to rest in the lobby for over 2 hrs. Plus the desk clerk gave me major attitude. Not the warm welcome I was hoping for. Next no air was coming out of the vent in the room. NOTHING. No even a fan. Only one elevator was working and it stayed broken the 3 days I was there. It doesn't take 3 days to fix an elevator. Finally I find out why the front desk clerk had attitude because basically everyone at this hotel didn't care about their guests. Never again will I stay there.

2 Thank Don L
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

A one night business trip, and we arrived quite late - about 9pm. By the time we'd checked in (a little slow) and waited for the staff to find us non-smoking rooms (unexpected to be told they might only have smoking rooms available!) we were disappointed to find there were no free tables in the restaurant (which is quite small). It felt a little late to be searching for an alternative in Reading so we had a bar snack, which was very good. Breakfast is a fixed price of £15, which felt expensive - a buffet that wasn't as good as most of the other hotels I've visited, and no alternative pricing option if all you want is a slice of toast. But the waiting and reception staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were very good and everything was fresh and well presented.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business