“Fab location - attentive staff - comfortable rooms!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arrived here mid-afternoon to a very warm welcome from the reception team and couldn't resist the excellent afternoon tea. Bedroom was well appointed, spotlessly clean - bed particularly comfortable with luxurious pillows and sheets. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed a lengthy early morning swim in the great pool.Breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice. The hotel has fabulous views across the Thames with a pretty river walk moments away and the centre of Reading within easy walking distance. My only complaint - one night just wasn't enough!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the hotel, I was so pleased to learn that the team at The Crowne Plaza Reading looked after you so well and you had an enjoyable stay

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Regards and thanks again

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Breakfast had a lot of choices and the bar had great service! I also liked the gym in the hotel. Just enough equipment for a good workout. The room I stayed in was just the right size (not too small). Staff was very friendly. They will call the taxi for you if you need one.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

It was very kind of you to take the time to write such a positive review of The Crowne Plaza Reading, I was absolutely delighted to learn you had a great stay.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I think I had better clarify that statement. Is this the best hotel I have ever stayed in? No, not the most luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. But my wife and I had a whale of a time. We booked a suite with a balcony looking over The Thames. Using the Friends and Family option for IHG, we obtained a very competitive rate for one night.

So we booked in on a Saturday night. Parking is free next to the hotel with loads of spaces available. Reception is quite large and there were 3 staff checking in. A small queue awaited but overall, very painless. Everything explained perfectly and off to the room. The suite (Rm 249) had two rooms, a lounge with a desk, settee and door out to the balcony, which is huge. This overlooks The Thames although only giving a view of about 90 degrees. A small white picket fence separates the balcony from the next door room so privacy is lacking. The bedroom had a King sized bed with a decent sized bathroom. Three televisions were available, one in the lounge, bedroom and the bath. A coffee machine was available in the bedroom but with only 3 coffees. Tea making facilities were in the lounge. There is a safe for your use in the room. AC worked perfectly.

We briefly used the Spa facilities, which included a good sized pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The gym was very well equipped.

Our room came with use of the Club Lounge. This is situated next to reception and is fairly airy if not a bit small. Now, if I stay in a hotel and a club lounge is available, then that is what I will book. So I say this with some authority, Crowne Plaza have a lot to learn from the Hilton. Only hot drinks were available from a machine as all the cold drinks were locked away with the alcohol. Hilton will have the cold drinks on tap all day. However, this club lounge serves alcohol and soft drinks, free of charge in the lounge from 6pm-8pm. Okay, I can live with that but unfortunately at 6.10pm they still hadn't opened the bar. In their defence, two large parties were being catered for in the hotel so all the staff were running around. They did finally open the bar and serve snacks, nacho's and dips. Again, The Hilton serves hot snacks and frequently top up so the CP are lagging behind again. At one stage they ran out of white wine and it needed guests to go to reception a couple of times to get staff to top up the fridge.

As the evening progressed, the fact the staff were so busy meant that they didn't close the bar at 8pm. Maybe it was a management decision, but a few wines later, the survivors on the lounge were on fine form. The girl staff came in to set the tables for the breakfast and even though we asked if we should leave, we were under no pressure to go. It was fabulous. However, all good things come to an end and we went to bed.

Another downside was that I did try to order room service at 1am in a very drunken state. However, no one answered the phone. In hindsight I suppose that was a good thing with my ever expanding waist line but at the time, it was quite an irritant. i suppose I could have persevered or called reception but that's not the point. Anyway, hungrily I went off to bed and had a super sleep (couldn't have been that hungry then).

Feeling a bit fragile in the morning we opted for the continental breakfast in the lounge. This was pretty basic with some ham, cheese, bread and cereals. Enough for me but the Hilton serves smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Check out again painless and off we went.

We truly had a brilliant time and even with the issue's above I would fully recommend this hotel. It offered great value for money and I will return here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beaudog96

I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, as you stated it was a really busy weekend at the hotel and I am glad the one or two oversights on behalf of the team were made up for by the enjoyment of your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Staff VERY friendly and helpfull. Room was excellent. Bathroom BRILLIANT!!!! Bed mega comfy sllept really well. Needed water at 2am so staff at reception got me a jug wih ice. Can complain at all 10/10

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much here at The Crowne Plaza Reading and it was very nice of you to take the time to write a review.

We hope that you will repeat your experience at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We chose this Hotel for its location, for a two night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we were not disappointed. Right on the Thames with easy access to the river, we enjoyed our stay immensely. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and the evening dinners excellent. Our room was fairly small, but we didn't spend much time in it. The bathroom towels were luxurious. We will certainly stay again when next in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you chose to stay here at The Crowne Plaza Reading for such a special occasion.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Good hotel to stay in, though had problem with the check out, as was being asked to pay for the stay despite having a prepaid through an Agent in Kuwait. Also given the final original invoice which had to request through an email later on. Despite this the stay was good, nice quiet room.

• Stayed: September 2013
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, I am not quite sure what happened with the billing instructions I will look into this further, however I understand it has now been sorted out.

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hi,
Not stated there yet and probably won't do either. IHG Plat member and have contacted twice to ask about whether Club floor facilities are available at weekend. No reply to date so I guess the attention to customer needs may not be a priority so not a good first impression.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lienbird
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

I was sorry to learn that we did not respond to your first email, I have looked into this and spoken to the person that should have responded, procedures are in place to see that this does not happen so please accept my apologies for this slip up.

We did respond in 50 minutes to your second email, which I hope provided all the information you needed.

I do hope you will accept my apologies and will give the hotel a second chance!