“Most child unfriendly hotel I've stayed in. Ever.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Reading
London
“Most child unfriendly hotel I've stayed in. Ever.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had we been able to cancel within 10 minutes of arrival we would have done. We stay in Reading at least 7/8 times a year and always stay in at least 4* hotels. As a small family with just 1 child we are normally very well looked after with good size and comfortable family rooms. Not here though.
First off most family rooms are based at the front of the hotel, right next to a very busy roundabout. It's not quiet.
Second, and most frustrating of all all, children are restricted to the pool. 0900-1200, 1500-1800 - how dare children get in the way of adults for the other 9.5hours the pool is open. There is no mention on the website of this restriction (they tried to blame the company we booked through for not telling us!). The explanation? Health and Safety. Sympathy from the staff? Very little, not their problem.
Although the inside of the hotel is pleasant, the building is tired and in need of a makeover. Location is OK, lovely being on the Thames, not a long walk into town BUT located on a busy road.
Sorry to say that we will not be staying here again and due to the policy and management of this hotel, although I normally stay with Hilton Hotels whenever I travel with work I will be reconsidering this option.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the hotel.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aidan e
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I was very disappointed to learn of you frustration with your stay and your particular dissatisfaction with our child policy.

We do clearly advertise our timings on our own website and we do inform and change the third party sites which I will now review, check and ask them to amend where possible.

It is always a very difficult balance to get right, we don't allow under 16's in the pool before 9am and between 12-3pm and after 6pm (7pm on a Friday), one of the great features of our pool and spa area is that it is a relaxing area and this allows us to promote this, we can also monitor the pool more closely when we know the hours children will be in the pool.

I am sorry that you won't be returning, but thank you for taking the time to review the hotel

Daniel Loosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a comfortable hotel with a very nice position on the River Thames. Perfect for long summer walks. Room was smart and had everything we needed.

So why only 3 out 5. Well we were greeted by quite the rudest reception staff we have ever encountered. As we checked in, one said to the other "Shall we give them an upgrade?", to which the more senior person said "No!" They were talking about us as if we were not standing in front of them, were deaf or were a bit do-lalley. Bear in mind, we had never asked for an upgrade (never have in any hotel in fact). Being Platinum Priority Club members, it is always nice if you are acknowledged and even nicer if you are offered an upgrade, but we just hope for the best and take what comes. We were not asked if we wanted a wake-up call, breakfast or a newpaper, but had a card shoved in front of us with instructions to fill it in.

So our conclusion. If you want courtesy and a top notch hotel but are not too worried about position, then go to the Reading Hilton. If position is the number one requirement, then the Crowne Plaza may be for you.

Room Tip: Don't think that being told your room has a view toward the river means you can actually see it...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hopeful-Guest
I was very sorry to learn that your experience this time round was spoilt by the attitude of one of our team, I have since held a team meeting and spoken to the Front Desk staff and expressed my dissatisfaction, I am confident this will not re-occur

I do hope you understand from your previous stay that this is not our normal standard and I really hope you will give us another chance

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We found this hotel to be excellent, we had travelled from Ireland and were quite happy that the service was good and our room was nice, clean and beds were super comfy! We stayed 2nights and breakfast each morning was fab, great choice! The wedding we attended was very good, open bar free drink is always good, wine was excellent, food for the wedding meal and afters was brilliant... We are going back next year and will be staying at this hotel again... Could not recommend it any higher! Well done crown plaza! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
What a lovely review of the hotel I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the wedding as well!

Thank you for taking the time to review The Crowne Plaza Reading and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for a wedding on 6th July. Could not rate this hotel highly enough. Staff were amazing and extremely welcoming helpful and friendly. The food was beautiful and bar service was great. It was a great day. Well done to all concerned. Completely enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to review The Crowne Plaza Reading, I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and had a fabulous day!

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future!

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was a guest at a wedding a few weeks ago and the staff, service and venue of the Crowne Plaza made it a fantastic day. The roast pork was very tasty and was served with a large helping of potatoes and vegetables. I was full from the main course however could not resist the gorgeous lemon cheesecake. The were a large selection of drinks available at the bar and we had very nice red and white wine on our tables. The staff were very well organised and would go out of their way to assist you with anything you needed. We were lucky enough to have a hot summers day so were able to enjoy sitting outside overlooking the river thames. Some of the wedding guests liked the venue so much that they booked to attend for breakfast the next morning. A lovely day enjoyed by everyone. Thank you very much.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I was so pleased that you had a great day at the hotel and enjoyed the venue so much, it always helps when the sun shines on these days but it was good to see that the food was good and the team looked after you so well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of The Crowne Plaza Reading

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My father and his partner chose this hotel as the location for their wedding at the beginning of July. We were greeted at the start of the wedding by friendly and welcoming staff. The location for the meal and evening reception was amazing. The room overlooked the river and had a good number outdoor seating, which was ideal given the weather we had on the day of the wedding. The staff were all really smartly dressed and extremely attentive to our every needs.The bar staff were really helpful and even went to a seperate part of the hotel to ensure guests had the drinks they wanted when stock had run out at the bar in the function room. This was not the bar staff fault, it was an extremely large wedding with a lot of people drinking :). The food was amazing and brought out in a timely manner. The pate was amazing and the main was lovely, pudding just as good. My niece was sat next to me and her dinner was fantastic. No frozen, pre-made rubbish, this is all hand made and fresh. Given that there wer 150 people eating at the day, you couldn't ask for better value for your money than 150 hand made meals! We had drinks flowing freely, food throughout the day and evening. We didn't once have to worry about where we needed to be or what was happening next, as the staff were so professional they had everything under control. I would recommend this venue to anyone wanting a fantastic wedding, with the highest customer service and the most memorable day you could wish for.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review of the hotel and I was delighted to learn that the day went off so well and that you and your family were so well looked after with excellent food and hospitality.

I hope we can see you again at the hotel soon?

Thanks again

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

In may of this year, I booked over 10 rooms in the Crowne Plaza Reading for my wedding which was at the hotel as well. My family was visiting from different parts of world and I looked at other options like Hilton in Reading as well prior to making a final decision. I must say that I couldn't be more pleased with my decision. The staff at CP made us all feel at home. They supported us all the way through. The hotel is equipped with all modern day facilities such as pool, sauna etc. Breakfast is also very nice with a good choice!

I would like to extend special thanks to Ashish Jha and Farrukh! Both are awesome guys and they worked round the clock to ensure that we all were well taken care of. My wife was very pleased with the service as well and she says her special thanks to Krista and Baeta for their support and assistance.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to enjoy Reading because its centrally located and has a nice lake adjacent to it. Taxis are a phone call away. Staff is extremely supportive. One exception is the african gentleman at night whose attitude was rude and offensive towards some of my guests. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was so kind of you to take the time to write such a lovely review of The Crowne Plaza Reading, we were very pleased and proud to host such an important day and I will thank Ashish and Farrukh for their efforts to make the day so special.

We wish you well in your future lives and look forward to seeing you soon!