“Excellent would recommend Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked this Hotel as wanted a relaxing weekend away and to be close to Reading City centre which was only a 10/15min walk away. Our room was amazing as we stayed in the Executive suite room which over looked the Thames and had everything in the room that you needed including our own dressing gowns!!. The food in the evening was average, however the pudding was really nice and the breakfast was good in the morning. Had a very good night sleep in the bed as it was very comfortable. The swimming pool was lovely and warm and the Sauna & steam room was great felt totally relaxed after. The staff were very friendly upon check in especially 'Mark' who was very helpful and which made our stay very memorable. Would definitely stay again, was a lovely clean Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time out to write such a positive review of The Crowne Plaza Reading it is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay!

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future when hopefully the weather will be a bit warmer and you can enjoy our outside space by The Thames!

Thanks again

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is ideally located because it's accessible without getting caught up in Reading town centre traffic. It has secure parking, and the hotel is around 15 mins. walk from the station or 20 mins. to where everything is. We've stayed here three times, with Platinum status. We've always been given an exec room, once with river view, twice with club access, and once with a complementary massage (this was several years ago). The exec rooms are not big, but we have always had a good night's sleep, which is the main point for us. The TVs have recently been upgraded to larger screens (32"?) and the towels and linens were very good quality. Breakfast was well cooked, but rather dull in its offerings. The only bread available is sliced for toasting; there were no bread rolls, but the usual croissants and two pastries were available as were very large (i.e. very high in calories and fat) muffins. Cereal in boxes, thank goodness! This is fine for a short stay, as ours tend to be. All in all, a good example of the Crowne Plaza brand, although I was rather put out on the occasion that I wasn't given discretionary use of the club lounge (even though I don't really use it for the free drinks and canapes, I just like to know I can).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel I was pleased to learn that you enjoy your stays with us and in particular the location and facilities of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times on business and so far they have got it right every time - it's in a fairly good location within walking distance of a few restaurants, with some car parking right outside and more parking just across a quiet side road. Reception are very efficient and friendly, and have been very helpful when I had to request a copy invoice several weeks after I'd stayed.
The rooms are very pleasant, with a decent selection of TV channels and the bathrooms are spotlessly clean with fluffy white towels. There are usually spare towels too - a nice touch.
The beds are great, with a choice of soft/firm pillows, and a little kit with aromatherapy spray to help you sleep which I think is marvellous.
Breakfast is great too - a lovely greeting from the staff, and a selection of everything you'd expect. Really good choice of juices/smoothies and most days 'infused' water - that is to say, ice cold water with mint or lime floating in it. Very refreshing!

OK now to the little gripes - there is constant piano music tinkling away in reception. It's supposed to make you think they have a live pianist, but actually it's a recording coming from underneath the piano. I'd be OK with this, but whoever was playing - they're rubbish. Lots of mistakes which really grate on the ear! Most of the time it just sounds like random keyboard faff.
Second gripe - the room service menu is very limited, and a number of times I've had to phone reception to place an order as nobody bothers to answer the phone in the restaurant. Very frustrating and a real shame. The food itself is usually delicious and delivered rapidly (once you manage to get your order in!!) and the one time they made a mistake it was rectified very quickly which was great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I was really glad to see that you had a good stay at the hotel and regularly stay with us!

The piano can get a bit annoying but we have updated the tracks, we have some guests that love the novelty of it and some that prefer a bit of piece and quite! We try and balance it and now don't have it on all the time!

I will look into the room service issue and see why the phone isn't getting answered promptly as it should divert to reception if it is not picked up and they can take the order, we are changing the menu in April with a new Summer menu so let us know what you think!

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel

Reviewed March 15, 2013

my boyfriend and I have stayed at the this hotel and we really enjoyed our weekend, the room was nice and clean, it was a nice size with, my boyfriend loved it, we will visit again. the service was excellent.
dora

Room Tip: we stayed in room 161 the bed was brilliant the first floor is very quiet, very quiet A/C.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dora,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review on The Crowne Plaza Reading it is always lovely to get such reviews and I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have just checked in and received a room that is like an ice box. Changed rooms and this one is little better. I've contacted reception and e-mailed the General Manager but despite the hotel being supposedly 'Full' yet the lounge and bar are actually empty the response has been none existent.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank AJSGILLAM

I was sorry that you found your room cold and that the response from myself and the hotel was not quick enough to resolve the issues in a timely manner.

We have since corresponded since your stay and I hope we have now gone some way to restore your faith and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is located 0.7 miles to the train station and 1-1.5 miles to the center. The hotel staff was nice and friendly. The room had one king size bed, nice bathroom, a television, a fridge, a wardrobe, a table and a chair (must if you want to work). I believe there were enough television channels as there was always something to watch. The room was very clean and tidy, so no problem with that. The room was quite big in relation the hotels I stayed in London.

The breakfast was typical English breakfast, the cornflakes are ready for the customer as well as cheese, 2 types of eggs, bacon, and other stuff. The river side garden was actually really nice, but because of the weather the doors were closed.

The gym was not so big, there were couple of walking machines, elliptical machines, bicycles. Other than that there weren't enough exercise machines, during the rush hour, probably you will wait. The gym was quite small and you have wait for your turn to get some place to train.

To be able to get to the center, you need to get a taxi from the hotel, I think it is fix price which is 6 GBP.

If I visit reading again, I would re-visit the hotel as it was really clean and tidy.

Room Tip: I got room 101, it was near the elevator which is nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on the hotel I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Have stayed in Crowne Plaza several times over the last couple of years as it is very handy for my husband and I and normally have enjoyed the experience. The staff are very polite and helpful, the rooms are comfortable and very clean. Normally I have had a good night's sleep at the hotel until this last weekend. We stayed in room 103 and I desperately needed a good night's sleep. This was not to be, I was woken at 2.30 am in the morning with incredibly noisy cranking and chugging sound. I couldn't work out what it was at first, it then stopped and I was just going back to sleep when it started again. It was very erratic and quite frankly I gave up trying to sleep. When I mentioned it at reception in the morning I was told it was the air conditioning/heating system and they were aware of it and having it fixed. Thanked me for telling them but that was it! My lack of sleep really impaired the enjoyment of the purpose of my visit to the area and I must admit I feel very cheated by the situation. I will be very cautious staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 103
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Katie E

I was very sorry to learn that your nights sleep was disturbed, we did have a problem with the air conditioning in this room and it was resolved the following after you bought it to our attention, it was a fan that was catching and making the noise.

I do hope that you will stay with us again as you will know this is not our normal standard and the fact we have climate controlled rooms is a big benefit normally.

Next time you are planning to stay in the area please drop me a line and I will ensure a pleasent and hopefully restful stay for you.

dloosley@redefinehotels.com