“A great place to stay”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have been going to this hotel for many years on four nightly breaks. During this time we have seen quite a few changes - spa and exec club upgraded, changes in decor, rooms and menu improved. There have also been managerial and staff changes. Our impression is that they really do listen to what their clients say and that from management through reservations, reception, restaurant, club facilities and not least lowly housekeeping everyone tries to make your stay an enjoyable one and - of course - they like to see you come back! It remains a favourite with us!!

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the park or the river offer the best ambience
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza Reading and it always a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel and it was very nice of you to be so complimentary,the staff do work hard and they will really appreciate your positive comments

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Was reasonably impressed with this hotel, but it's not quite up to the standard of some others in the area. A few probably easily fixed problems knocked it for me. Rooms was ok, however the TV only showed a few of the Freeview channels and had problems with some of the terrestrial ones as well - was not fixed despite me complaining. Food was quite pricey in the dining room and while some of the staff were excellent, it was a bit hit and miss - sometimes they didn't bring bread, forgot to bring the bill etc. Fruit at breakfast seemed to be mainly tinned, and it nobody offered coffee/tea. Gym area was good, and while I didn't use the pool, it looked good from the gym.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel, I was sorry we did not quite meet you expectations.

We have now since fixed the issue with the TV channels and are now showing the full range again in all rooms

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here overnight en-route from the North West of UK to Farnborough. We had a family room, with a sofa bed which was just about adequate for 2 teens to share. The room and bathroom were very clean as you would expect from a Crowne Plaza hotel.
We did not use the hotel restaurant, but instead walked to the pub just further along the road, for a carvery at half the price of the hotel.

They tried to pre-sell us breakfast for £10 per person when we checked in, but we declined and found a Mc Donalds a short drive away in the morning, spent £8 for 4 people!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Daniel L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank you very much for taking time out to write a review on The Crowne Plaza Reading, I was pleased to see that we met you expectations and your stay was a comfortable one.

We do have a wealth of restaurants on our doorstep which in one way is a great advantage as it gives our guests a real choice of dining, but we do also have a great menu so I hope you try us next time, as for breakfast we offer a pre-booked breakfast for £10 a head which stacks up well I think when you consider it is an unlimited hot and cold buffet including Tea, Coffee and juice which is enough to keep you going all day!

Thank you once again and I hope we can welcome you to Crowne Plaza Reading Hotel again in the near future

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed here last during a trip around the UK. Unfortunately I think we had been spoiled by other rather exceptional 4* hotels and this place seemed a little tired and old. The room felt a little tired and dated but all was in order.

Its about a 15 minute walk into the city center from the hotel (as taxis were a little non-existent). After finding out that all the bars in Reading close at midnight we taxi'ed back to the hotel. At this point used the 24-hour bar (classy I know) until some god unearthly hour (6AM I think).

Overall hotel served its purpose.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel, I was pleased the hotel served it's purpose and met your expectations, we are currently making some significant improvements to the hotel and if you were to come back in the near future I would like to think you would see a difference.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was looking forward to stay at this hotel, as I stayed in Crowne Plaza hotels(not this one) before.
Perfect sorround nad Crowne Plaza.
I was shocked when I visit my bathroom for first time. The floor looked like it was cleaned after a very long time.
Unfortunately my enthusiasm from great surround went off after I looked from my window.
How Is possible then in a 4* hotel (and for that amount of money) a guest can get a room with a view on a hotels garbage and A/C system???
The worst came on next day breakfast. I wanted to eat a ham, unfortunately the ham was rotten.
Is this really normal for 4* CP Hotel? I don't think so.
Next day the same, even when day before manager was told about this problem, he did obviously nothing about that; rotten ham. That was last time a visited the restaurant during my stay.
The A/C is very noisy.

The gym & spa were perfect, but it would be better if gym personal would not reset clients locker password.
I loved the "Good Night" spray.

My recomendation: If you want stomach problems or have a like garbage this is the right hotel for you.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank M G

I was very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay, we are currently working very hard to improve standards and the breakfast has a new look since your visit.

If you were to be in the area again please let me know and I would be happy to personally ensure your stay was a more pleasant one

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Have just returned from two very enjoyable nights at this hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly, the swimming pool excellent and kept at just the right temperature, the location right beside the Thames allowed us to enjoy a walk along the river bank. The room was quite small but clean and the bed was comfortable. The restaurant was a little expensive but we enjoyed dinner and breakfast on the first night. Unfortunately we had to dine elsewhere on the second night as we were joined by other family members including two young chidren aged 2 and 4. We felt that the main menu was unsuitable for young children and there was no children's menu. We plan another visit to this excellent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Daniel L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review of The Crowne Plaza Reading, it is always a pleasure to get such nice feedback about the hotel.

I do hope we can welcome you back to Reading soon

Regards and thanks

Reviewed July 11, 2012

What a terrible hotel for a four star! Our room had water stains on the wall - not a small amount either, there was cigarette ash on the window sill where the previous occupant had smoked and the bathroom door didn't shut. Absolutely awful and certainly not a hotel that I would go back to. When we booked in the receptionist didn't tell us that we needed our room card to use the lift - or that it needed putting in the slot to make the lights work. They also didn't bother telling us how to access the locked car park. All in all - crap. I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mamph68
Daniel L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay and the room was not up to standard, I have now put this room out of order and the issues mentioned will be fixed before we re-let it.
Also I have taken on board your comments regarding the reception staff and have spoken to them regarding the instructions for the lift and car park barrier as it can be very frustrating.

I see that you did not want to come back to the hotel, but if you change your mind please let me know and I will ensure you have a very different experience!