“A beautiful discovery.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Al Tarboush - CLOSED

Al Tarboush
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
London, United Kingdom
“A beautiful discovery.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I discovered this restaurant over a year ago and have been back a few times since, after introducing it to friends and family.
I have always had lovely, polite service everytime, and the food has always been fab.
The desserts are those which I have never tasted anywhere before, the beautiful array (of vermicelli?) made to look like 'birds nests' topped with rose, pistachios, ice cream/cream - WOW!!
Nice little gem in Reading.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rakhee L
La Fontana T, Owner at Al Tarboush, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. It is good to know that you enjoy our food and service and keep on coming back. Long may that continue!

Reading, United Kingdom
“Authentic and fresh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

What a difference from a 'normal' chain restaurant. The food is so fresh, absolutely cooked to order and brimming with herbs and garlic. Everything tastes wonderful. Three of us visited and decided to choose one of the set menus. For £18.50 a head we had a great big mix of cold and hot mezze/tapas style dishes, all delicious - and then a main course each, which we shared.

Despite all three of us being hearty eaters (yes, ok, greedy!) we couldn't finish it all, so the staff very helpfully packed up our leftovers so we could enjoy them the next day.

The service was slowish, but we appreciated this, as we just wanted to eat and chat, and if we'd wanted to speed things up it was very easy to catch the attention of the serving staff and then they were very responsive. Really friendly staff, but it's the food that will make you come back. Just lovely and I can't recommend highly enough.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank giddygideon
La Fontana T, Owner at Al Tarboush, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your review - much appreciated. Our intention is to serve fresh, authentic food and it is always good to know we are getting it right. We hope that you will visit us again soon.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely food and extremely polite service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I don't understand why Al Tarboush gets some of these reviews. The service is always fantastic, no matter which member of staff approaches you. The menu may seem expensive at a glance but if you go in and actually see the portion sizes you will see it is in fact great value. We went for a meal on Saturday night. Food came out pipping hot and like always there was plenty of it. You can say atmosphere is lacking but we were out as a couple so it was nice having a quiet meal. Would highly recommend giving Al Tarboush a chane before writing it off.

1 Thank JaneSmitth
La Fontana T, Owner at Al Tarboush, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are delighted you always enjoy our food and service and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Berkshire
“What to do when a hot meal isn't...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I had plans to eat Lebanese but our usual restaurant in Woking was closed for refurbishment so she drive over to my neck of the woods to try here. It was a Saturday night but the restaurant was not very busy and we were seated quickly.

We had some fairly high expectations having eaten some great Lebanese food in the past and I'm sad to say, we were disappointed.

There are some great fixed menus which actually work out cheaper than a meze dish and a main so we went for that.

The meze was massive including humous, spicy sausage and tabbouleh which was lovely. However one of the meze was warm on the outside but stone cold on the inside so we had to send it back. When it came back, it was hot as was the plate!!!

Mains came out but sadly, I was a bit full from the meze! However, my beef main was again luke warm at best so I had to send it back! Again, when it came back, both the dinner and the plate were very warm but unfortunately, it didn't make the dish anymore flavourful. I found it bland and
disappointing.

When the bill came, it was over £50 and the waitress let us off the £2 something extra but having had to send 2 dishes back for them to be warmed / heated, I would've expected at least a 10% discount on the bill.

The waitress was very nice and I felt she was embarrassed that the food had been cold but she didn't seem surprised.

All in all, we were very disappointed with our food and sadly we won't be returning.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
La Fontana T, Owner at Al Tarboush, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit to our restaurant. We did hear about your complaint from the waitress on the night. We can only apologise that our food wasn't up to its usual standard - the chef on duty that night has now left and we can assure you that it will not happen again. It is inexcusable that some of your food was not hot enough. Apologies once again and we hope that you will feel able to visit us again in the future.
“Tasty dishes in nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at the premier inn for months and got sick of the Toby carvery I eventually tried this little gem. My goodness from my window seat I looked across at people queuing for tgi Fridays and thought get over here, it's soo much better!!! Had spicy sausages and lamb main course and flavours were explosive. Really impressed that there was no bulking up attempts ( rice, chips, nan etc) all small but perfect flavour portions. Service was spot on as was Lebanese wine. I will be back very soon.

1 Thank Kdag21
Thanks for taking the time to post a review and we are very pleased that you decided to try our restaurant and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.