“Lovely Ethiopian food!”

Ranked #63 of 743 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Tutu's Ethiopian Table is a restaurant and bar situated at The Global Café, Reading. Tutu's serves a tasty and nutritious selection of meat and vegetarian stews, served with the Ethiopian tradional pancake, Injera. We also serve a range of baguettes and other snacks, for lunches, buffets, and special occasions. Tutu offers a specialist catering service for conferences, gatherings and special events. We have a range of delicious dishes suitable for most occasions.For more information please contact Tutu Opening Times at the Global Cafe5 days a week (Tue - Sat) Lunch 12-3pm Dinner 6-9pm Saturdays 12-9pm Buffet every Thu 6 - 9pm, Veg/Vegan We also offer a takeaway service
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant had great, authentic food! We went in the search for a good Ethiopian in Reading and we wasn’t disappointed! The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious! We particularly impressed by the injera.

Date of visit: August 2019
tutumelaku, Owner at Tutu's Ethiopian Table, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your kind review. Tutu

Write a reviewReviews (213)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Unbelievably bad service at this place!!!

Have eaten their mediocre food at east Reading festival once (hence how I recognised the owner) but me and kids were passing through Palmer Park today and wanted to take my 3 year old to the bathroom so she could have a go on the swings before leaving , and the owner herself asked us to LEAVE!! First of all she said they only had one toilet and I said I was happy to wait (as there was a lady and her son ahead of us - who funnily enough she didn’t kick out ) and when I waited a couple more minutes she said “I would like you to go to the stadium now!!!!) and I asked her I thought this toilet was able to be used by the public she said who told you that sarcastically!!!
I couldn’t believe my ears what a rude lady,

I hope a cafe like the one before which was child friendly for years comes back, so much better than this rude woman who can’t even be kind to children.....photos said child friendly , I think not!! Would never ever go back

Date of visit: September 2019
2  Thank umzaina

Dear Umzaina,

I’m saddened to read your comments regarding our business and the inferences in regard to how we treat families and children. I’m a proud mum myself with 22 years of taking my two lovely kids out to eat and drink so this was particularly heart breaking for me to read. Children and families are of absolute key importance to us – we strive to make everyone feel welcome, accommodated and happy regardless of age or size of party. I personally would bend over backwards to ensure every person who comes through our door is looked after and leaves with a smile, even if they are not a customer and just visiting to use our facilities. When we took on the space in Palmer Park we had long conversations with Reading Borough Council about the building’s single toilet facility and the issues this might pose for customers at busy times. We were advised on busy days to make all customers – and particularly park users who were not customers - aware of the stadium toilets which are very close by; not because we want them to leave but because the queues can be long and – with any number of small children waiting with you – many customers would prefer to use facilities a short walk away than wait in a cramped space while food is carried in and out around them. On the Saturday morning you came to use our single toilet, we were, as always at this particular time of the week, exceptionally busy with over 40 happy customers eating and drinking to whom we carry hot drinks and food, including potentially scalding cups of tea and coffee from the small kitchen entrance near the toilet. We are bound by health and safety guidelines to keep this entrance clear at all times which unfortunately means passing our responsibility on to any customer who inadvertently blocks it. Regulations aside, though, I personally cannot put myself or my staff in a situation where any individual on our premises – whether a customer or not – was knowingly left in a position of danger. I could not forgive myself if anyone were hurt, hence we have to take simple steps to ensure they are not. This includes asking those on the premises with large buggies or luggage not to stand in front of our small kitchen entrance. When I understood you were waiting to use the bathroom, I advised you that another existed in the stadium that would likely be quicker and easier for you to use. Not because I wanted you to leave but because I wanted to help by giving you an option I think would have made things easier for you. I am very, very happy for members of the public to use our little café as a facility whether they buy food and drink from us or not, but I also have a duty to point out potentially dangerous situations that breach our legal responsibilities to staff and other customers. I would always advise that when there’s a queue, we are definitely not the quickest or most convenient option for those caught short in the parl. A closing word to all our customers and potential customers: we are super, super child and family friendly whether you’re a customer or just someone who wants to use our loo! We will greet and serve you and your little ones with a smile (as we do everyone!), look after you and keep you safe, including removing blockages to our kitchen likely to cause hot drinks to be spilt!

Tutu

Reviewed August 23, 2019 via mobile

Great place to stop off for a coffee or a tasty lunch. Never knew about this place till May and love it!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed August 9, 2019 via mobile

We visited with my family and had a superb breakfast at Tutu. Extremely nice staff and great food. Will come back!

Reviewed August 8, 2019

We went for the Thursday buffet as we hadn’t tried Ethopian food before and wanted to sample a selection. As it was warm and fairly quiet they brought the dishes straight to the table rather than laying them out. It consisted of Doro Wot (Chicken in a spiced sauce), daal, seasoned spinach, collared greens and yellow split-peas, with a traditional sourdough pancake. Unfortunately the sourdough pancake and the yellow split-peas were not to our personal taste but seemed well made. All of the rest however was delicious, the highlight being the daal which we ordered a 2nd portion of, along with the chicken.
I also had an Ethopian beer (called St George) which was very nice and washed the meal down well. The staff were all very friendly, welcoming and happy to answer any questions we had. Overall we were very impressed and will certainly be coming back again.